So Who’s Been to Jail?
Mar 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #106 of 157
What a great thread.

I've never been arrested, but I did spend an interesting day taking a deposition of an inmate at a federal min security prison in California. It was about 120 degrees at the prison - no air conditioning. No fences or other security - if you can make it through the desert, freedom waits. But you get double time on your sentence if you're re-caught. Apparently, inmates never try to escape.

The prisoners all looked very healthy and relaxed. I might enjoy serving time in a place like that if they would let me bring my HPs and a good collection of mp3s!

I would add that I have tremendous respect for cops. It seems like a very unpleasant and dangerous job to me. Lousy pay too. I've been caught in a few speed traps, and always resent it, but the cops giving me tickets have always been very professional.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #107 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would add that I have tremendous respect for cops. It seems like a very unpleasant and dangerous job to me. Lousy pay too. I've been caught in a few speed traps, and always resent it, but the cops giving me tickets have always been very professional.

i've seen respectful cops and i've seen really terrible and racist cops.

a prison guard at the local penitentary who is mexican got pulled over by the cops one night for no reason... and then they were like "oh hey John..."

i have tremendous respect for professionals who are professional - cops included
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #108 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Inciting a riot over what?

An attempt to avenge a perceived wrong that was none of my business. It was kinda fun being the center of attention, especially when everyone else was older.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #109 of 157
When I was 16 I got arrested for shop lifting at spencers gifts. I spent 5 hours in a small cell. After 5 hours my mother came and got me. I had to take a class called hands off and pay a 50 dollar fine.

All for a belt.

-Chris-

May 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #111 of 157
Put me down for a week. i spent a week in medium security at Rockhampton Correctional Facility a decade or two ago. It was for unpaid fines after getting caught with a couple of grams of pot. I was supposed to be in for 28 days, but ended up ringing up my mother to pay my outstanding fine- it wasn't hard to convince her that i needed to get out NOW.

Jail for me was 95% boredom and 5% confrontation. Most of the inmates and the staff were ok, but it just wasn't much fun. Nothing to read and the damm radios that were on 24 hours a day.

I've also spent about 10 days in various police lock ups. I have generally have good memories of this, especially the 3 fun days I spent in Cairns watchhouse. There was a far greater sense of camaraderie in the lock ups compared to the jails.

May 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #112 of 157
That's a decent chunk of time, leveller. I'm going to include lock-up time, too. Thanks for the story.

After preparing my Ticonderoga #2 with a tap of the point to my tongue, I went head down into some serious arithmetic... no spread sheets, no TI-89, no beans or abacus. I estimate, with leveller's time included, we've served a total of ~196.4 days hard time. Well over a half year. The next goal is obvious.

May 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #113 of 157
I have not!
But got myself 30 days conditional imprisonment in the early -90's though, for speeding with a car. Lesson learned...

May 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #114 of 157
in some cultures..u arent considered a man until u get laid and get jailed once.

May 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #115 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in some cultures..u arent considered a man until u get laid and get jailed once.

Though one would hope the latter does not induce the former.

May 25, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #117 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though one would hope the latter does not induce the former.

beerchug.gif

Done a bunch of illegal things but never even got a ticket. I guess I have to get my manliness empowered by being stupid and getting caught...
ph34r.gif

May 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #119 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All for less than 1 ounce of marijuana TOTAL. Anyway, 2 days in lockup, 89 days of work release (during which I went to school), 3 years probation and I was let off early for good behavior. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Gotta say, you are a crappy drug dealer. If your friend screws up, that is his fault, not yours. Still, you have to be one of the worst drug dealers I have ever heard of. Yet another reason that I don't do drugs.

Never been to Jail.

I have ridden in the back of a police car for 20min though.
My BF and some friends and I took a road trip to White Castle after finishing a project at 2AM. We were driving over there in a 2006 Kia. Most of the time we were behind a bunch of old 70;s cars putting out a lot of smoke and it smelled pretty bad in the car, like burning plastic + smoke + gasoline.

Well, we finally get out from behind the 70-mobile as we turn into the White Castle drive through. We see taht the smoke is comming from our engine. I get my BF to open the front after much amount of fail on his part for not knowing how to do it :facepalm:. Yeah, our car was on fire. Long story short, the Car gets completely engulfed in flames and we can't stop taking pictures are the firemen get there. There were 4 of us with no cash to take a cab back and a pair of very nice lady police officers finishing some paperwork.

They offered to take us back to campus in the police car. I don't know if any of you have seen the inside fo a Chicago Police car, but there is literally no leg room. So basically, it was three of us with our knees in our stomachs and my BF laid across the top of all of us as he is pretty tall and well his knees to his chest didn't work.

It was pretty funny because while riding back we hit a stop light right in front of a bus stop. there was an older gentleman waiting there reading the paper. His looks up calmly and then looks back down. Quickly, his raises his head and starts laughing hysterically as we start waving to him and get the cops to participate. We had a lot of fun getting dropped off at each of our places because for our two guy friends, we had the cops put them in hadncuffs and pretend to drag them into their dorms. I have no idea what went on and they dropped them off inside, but the looks from fellow students on teh way in was pretty priceless.

I have met cops who were jerks and ones that were really nice.

Yeah, I have 1 speeding ticket and a warning ticket for an illegal lane change (for making a lane change within 100ft of the light) and not one was on teh street expect me. Honestly, I think that they guy was hoping to catch someone who was drunk. I was completely sober and it was 4AM (going to pick up a famly member at the airport).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back