So I am looking for a nice setup
May 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

forgotten_hell

New Head-Fier
Something for my house where I can sit down and listen to music that sounds really good, I don't know a whole bunch though so what would I need? What would you guys recommend? I'm thinking going the headphone route would be the best as anything else would probably be wildly expensive. I was hoping to keep it <$1000, if that's possible? I mostly listen to rock and hip hop, with some more techno/electronic stuff mixed in, though I'm mostly interested in listening to rock. I just want a setup that I can really appreciate my music on because I've never really had an audiophile grade system and I feel like I am missing out.

May 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 21
Hmm. It's really hard to recommend you a certain kind of system especially since your budget is so wide. Have you been browsing around and seen anything you like yet? Anything interests you? I mean, there is a lot you are going to have to decide on. Any specific characteristics in a headphone you are looking for, such as open or closed? If you can, try and make a list of key items you feel like would be important to you, and then it would be a lot easier for us to recommend you some gear. There is just too much stuff out there to simply take a shot in the dark, and nail it the first time. Take a look at Grado though, they have been known and praised to do rock well.

May 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 21
A good source like the PS Audio Digital Link III or Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 should IMO be imperative for those looking to appreciate that hifi sound. If you buy used that will leave you around $400-500 for a neutral (works best with all genres) set of headphones like DT880s or HD600s with a moderately priced tube amp... Or you can go the popular route of spending all your budget on a pricey set of cans like Denons D7000s and pickup an E7/E9 as an afterthought.

May 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Grados are the go to for rock, but if you listen to Hip Hop and EDM stuff as well I'd avoid them. The bass just isn't there for those genres (IMO).

I like the suggestion above. The D7000 sounds great out of the E7/E9 combo, and is just an amazing headphone. You can always upgrade your source/amp later on...but the headphones are going to give the most noticeable improvement.

May 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 21
So I would get the best sounds out of going with the D7000s? Are they open or closed? What's the difference? And do you guys agree that if I'm just starting out with audio equipment I should go with headphones and not an speakers and stuff? Thanks for the help!

May 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 21
If you want to rock, pick up a Grado RS-1. It is the best rock headphone out there; you'll find pages of praise here.

Though you ought to pick up a SR-60i first. Lots of people enjoy Grados, but not everyone. The SR-60i is the best place to start since it's affordable and will sell in an hour or two (seriously) if you list it here. You might lose $10 or $20, but it's worth hearing one. Run it out of your iPod or computer - no need to buy anything else at this point.

If you like the SR-60i, you'll *love* the RS-1. If you don't like X or Y about the SR-60i, tell us what you didn't like and we'll give you specific recommendations that'll fit your tastes.

Also, don't kill yourself over picking a first headphone. If something seems good, order it. I can't think of anyone who still listens to their first pair exclusively. A first pair can be enjoyable, but how you react to it tells you where to go next. (Remember that saying about your wallet? :evil:)

May 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
If you want to rock, pick up a Grado RS-1. It is the best rock headphone out there; you'll find pages of praise here.

Though you ought to pick up a SR-60i first. Lots of people enjoy Grados, but not everyone. The SR-60i is the best place to start since it's affordable and will sell in an hour or two (seriously) if you list it here. You might lose $10 or $20, but it's worth hearing one. Run it out of your iPod or computer - no need to buy anything else at this point.

If you like the SR-60i, you'll *love* the RS-1. If you don't like X or Y about the SR-60i, tell us what you didn't like and we'll give you specific recommendations that'll fit your tastes.

Also, don't kill yourself over picking a first headphone. If something seems good, order it. I can't think of anyone who still listens to their first pair exclusively. A first pair can be enjoyable, but how you react to it tells you where to go next. (Remember that saying about your wallet?
evil_smiley.gif
)

There we go! I was going to mention to start small, just to give you some direction to where you want to upgrade. SR60i or SR80i would be a perfect start.

May 13, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 21
x2 on the grados.

They're also very easily modifiable to suit whatever sound you need. I modified mines to increase bass (taped bowls helps bass considerably for me). They're also one of the easiest headphones to drive, I can drive it easily from my sansa clip which is by no means a powerful mp3 player at all. Just be warned that they do not block noise, you can hear people and people can hear you. They are open headphones so they will leak noise. For that you'll probably get a lot of people thinking that your hearing is going out. Doesn't stop me from using it everywhere I go. 

May 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 21
So if I get the SR80i or SR60i I won't need an amp or anything and they will sound fine? I guess I can get though and then go from there.

EDIT: Also, are they JUST good for rock? Like if I listen to hip hop on them, will it sound horrible?

May 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 21
Well it all depends on the source. My grados sounded great on my sansa clip+ but sounded terrible on my computer's onboard audio.

And they should be fine for other genres. They won't sound terrible by any means.

May 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 21
I recommend some Sennheiser HD650's and a more expensive DAC/amp than the E7/E9 that I have, which sounds quite good.

Good luck, and sorry about your wallet,

MacKat

May 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
So if I get the SR80i or SR60i I won't need an amp or anything and they will sound fine? I guess I can get though and then go from there.

EDIT: Also, are they JUST good for rock? Like if I listen to hip hop on them, will it sound horrible?

As far as the sr60 is concerned you definitely don't have to worry about amping. If you run through an ipod (or any decent dap) you will be fine. If you decide to use your computer I might recommend picking up a cheap dac so that you aren't using on board audio.

May 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Also, don't kill yourself over picking a first headphone. If something seems good, order it. I can't think of anyone who still listens to their first pair exclusively. A first pair can be enjoyable, but how you react to it tells you where to go next. (Remember that saying about your wallet?
evil_smiley.gif
)

I do, but that's probably because it's my first and a week old.
wink.gif
If you start small, then you can figure out what sort of sound, etc. you like and then you can look at the big guns with a little more of an idea of what you want. Assuming you get something that's a solid starter pair then it shouldn't be hard to sell and get a good price (especially if you bought used), thereby "upgrading" them to a bigger set (and DAC/amp) once you know what you're really looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back