So I am looking for a nice setup
May 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 21
I don`t really want to use my iPod since I can't put FLAC files on it and because was looking for a more home setup. I wanted to buy a laptop anyway, so I was thinking, I could put the money I save towards a laptop. But since I need a DAC then, would it be a bad idea to get the E7/E9 and the SR80is? That way I have them if I ever upgrade, and I can get better sounds now too. Is this a bad idea? Sorry I'm just trying to piece a plan together here, I don't really know a whole lot about this stuff.

May 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 21
Get Denon 5000 or 7000..With or without amp..They will fit you very well if you like rock and hip hop..They have fantastic bass!!

May 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #18 of 21
The sr60's won't need an amp. So you could probably run with an e7 to use as an amp/dac. If you pick up the e7/e9 you will find yourself thinking the e9 is a waste of money. Grado's are 32 ohm and very high sensitivity so amping (especially on the lower models) isin't quite necessary. So like I said I would really want to pay attention to a clean sounding dac as it will make the biggest difference.

On the other hand if you get something like the denon d2000/d5000/d7000's I would probably recommend an amp and dac combo to tighten up the bass response.

May 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
So what would be the better plan? Going all out and big or just starting small?

Starting small. Not a good idea to spend a lot on your first setup IMO. 

Take a look at easy to drive headphones. 

May 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 21
OP wants to spend a 1,000 bux on a nice setup and everyones suggesting cheap junk... what wrong with you all?

I understand not knowing what to suggest, but a good source with a sufficient amp and neutral set of cans would be an excellent start. Buying cheap headphones to run on Fiio toys or bass canons like the Denons is more than likely going to mean selling it all when you want to upgrade, at least with a good source and amp you won't ever need to do that... well, not until you're ready to splash out over a grand on each unit.

May 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
OP wants to spend a 1,000 bux on a nice setup and everyones suggesting cheap junk... what wrong with you all?

I understand not knowing what to suggest, but a good source with a sufficient amp and neutral set of cans would be an excellent start. Buying cheap headphones to run on Fiio toys or bass canons like the Denons is more than likely going to mean selling it all when you want to upgrade, at least with a good source and amp you won't ever need to do that... well, not until you're reading to splash out over a grand on each unit.

a beginning, and possibly the end, would be a used Benchmark DAC1 or Lavry DA10.  excellent sources and just add a pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back