Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 4, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #15,317 of 15,989
Where can someone interested have one made?
Genelec ($$$) and Earfish ($) both have services. Open source there is mesh2hrtf that can use the data from the 3D face mapping cameras in iPhones and iPads (but applied to your ears and head). There are a set of .m files for MATLAB (and I assume Octave) that let you manipulate .sofa files.

I haven’t done any of the above but will probably take a look at mesh2hrtf.

https://www.production-expert.com/production-expert-1/what-are-custom-hrtfs-and-why-they-matter

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #15,318 of 15,989
It looks like Virtuoso requires Audio/Video software with ASIO output... Not sure of many video players that have that feature... I think MPC HC, JRiver and Mitch Barnett's Hang Loose Convolver may be supported... I've contacted the developer for guidance in this area.
According to the updates video at , ASIO was added to the previous Windows output options, and is not a requirement.
Screenshot from 3:04 in the video:

1693865901926.png

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #15,319 of 15,989
According to the updates video at , ASIO was added to the previous Windows output options, and is not a requirement.
Screenshot from 3:04 in the video:

I was under the impression that the multi-channel software to be used with Virtuoso needed to be able to support ASIO... 3:38 in the same video.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #15,321 of 15,989
I just got a Realiser, and I'm having channel imbalance issues when creating the HPEQ, it seems like the right input is more sensitive than the left one, which results in a channel imbalance (left being louder than right). Has anyone seen this issue? is there an easy way of fixing the HPEQ?

Sep 4, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #15,322 of 15,989
I just got a Realiser, and I'm having channel imbalance issues when creating the HPEQ, it seems like the right input is more sensitive than the left one, which results in a channel imbalance (left being louder than right). Has anyone seen this issue? is there an easy way of fixing the HPEQ?
Unfortunately... There is a known bug with fw 2.15 and PRIR imbalance... not sure it carries over to HPEQs... but it also may be a microphone issue... Could be placement or heaven forbid... A bad microphone.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #15,323 of 15,989
A new A16, with the 2.15 firmware? I have the same issue with mine. Or rather I should say, I had the same issue, then my A16 had to be returned for repairs and I never got around to investigating further because I am now using the HD-800s HPEQ that came with the very fine Omega 65/95 PRIR set from 3D Sound Shop.

I was going to investigate the differential gain setting for the MICs and try new HPEQs - I will add that to a long list of things I promised to play with and report back, unless you find out first that it solves the problem.

The 2.15 firmware has a similar issue with recorded PRIRs.

And, I should note that you need to download the 2.15 firmware notes to get instructions for the differential gain setting. Plus if your A16 is new like mine, we are stuck with no earlier firmware than 2.15 because the ARM computer board and the APM board are both not compatible with earlier.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #15,325 of 15,989
A new A16, with the 2.15 firmware? I have the same issue with mine. Or rather I should say, I had the same issue, then my A16 had to be returned for repairs and I never got around to investigating further because I am now using the HD-800s HPEQ that came with the very fine Omega 65/95 PRIR set from 3D Sound Shop.

I was going to investigate the differential gain setting for the MICs and try new HPEQs - I will add that to a long list of things I promised to play with and report back, unless you find out first that it solves the problem.

The 2.15 firmware has a similar issue with recorded PRIRs.

And, I should note that you need to download the 2.15 firmware notes to get instructions for the differential gain setting. Plus if your A16 is new like mine, we are stuck with no earlier firmware than 2.15 because the ARM computer board and the APM board are both not compatible with earlier.
Yes, a brand new one with the 2.15 firmware. I think I found a way of just adjsting the balance when reproducing but not when generating the HPEQ, that seems to be working ok, also the flatEQ seems to sound better than the HPEQ I generated, so I'll try that.

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #15,326 of 15,989
Unfortunately... There is a known bug with fw 2.15 and PRIR imbalance... not sure it carries over to HPEQs... but it also may be a microphone issue... Could be placement or heaven forbid... A bad microphone.
I swaped the microphones (left to right and viceversa), the issue remained the same (i.e. didn't swap channels), so I think the microphones are fine.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #15,330 of 15,989
I started using the flat EQ, both of the HPEQs I made had the channel balance issue, I adjusted the balance but they sound very artificial compared to the flat EQ. Maybe too much processing, is there a better way of getting HPEQs? Using the provided microphones doesn’t seem very reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back