Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #15,286 of 16,046
Thanks @Litlgi74 and @VandyMan for the help. The problem seems solved. The MAC address was correct but before seeing the message from VendyMan I had connected the A126 directly to the router without going through the hub of the network and oh miracle my ipad connected without problem. I then put the A16 back in its normal position and since then it connects without problem. Thank you both.

Christian

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #15,287 of 16,046
Hello again everyone,

I now have a problem following firwre 2.15 (possibly from understanding on my part) PCM, Atmos and Auro work perfectly (I do not want to use Auromatic and do upmix. Consequently I did not enter auromatic against my HDMI input. Unfortunately for everything that is DTS I go out in Auro with the indication at the bottom left of the PA screen "DTS auromatic" and the room at the top right is Auro. thank you in advance.

Christian

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #15,288 of 16,046
@blanquartc Please read the firmware-rev-2.15-May-19-2023-update-instructions.pdf file, page #4.

“Auro‐3D control is accessed from the second PRESET menu page. The Auro‐3D switch must be enabled to engage Auro‐3D decoding in the presence of Auro‐3D encoded bit‐streams and to allow Auromatic upmixing in the presence of Dolby and DTS legacy bit‐streams. Auromatic upmixing always takes precedence over DTS Neural‐X or Dolby Surround upmixing.”

Isn’t the Auro‐3D switch enabled in your case? Also, it’s important that you reload that preset in order the changes take effect.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #15,289 of 16,046
Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately if the Auro function is switched on and activated, whereas in the case of Auro support, this is decoded correctly. My problem is the opposite while atmos and PCVM are decoded correctly the DTS is upmixed by auromatic although I did not activate it in my HDMI source.
Sincerely.
Christian

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #15,293 of 16,046
I can't get the A16 USB driver to install on my Mele Quiter 3 Q running Windows 11. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Windows 11 boxes, and is there a workaround?

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #15,294 of 16,046
I can't get the A16 USB driver to install on my Mele Quiter 3 Q running Windows 11. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Windows 11 boxes, and is there a workaround?
Hello my friend... I had no problem using Windows 11 on my son's laptop. But I know that others are experiencing difficulty with the USB port no matter what operating system they use.

I just installed the drivers from the Smyths website . Nothing fancy.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #15,295 of 16,046
Hello my friend... I had no problem using Windows 11 on my son's laptop. But I know that others are experiencing difficulty with the USB port no matter what operating system they use.

I just installed the drivers from the Smyths website . Nothing fancy.
USB was functional with both of my Windows 10 laptops, so I thought the problem might be the fact I migrated to 11 on the Mele. Well, don't see a move here, unfortunately. BTW, how's Tidal for Atmos. Now that they're junking MQA, I'm thinking of giving up both my Amazon Music Unlimited and Qobuz and just going to the highest tier of Tidal, which will run native on all my platforms with no streaming needed.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #15,296 of 16,046
This morning (in Europe:relaxed:) I saw an interesting video at Michael G Wagner's YouTube channel. Michael G Wagner is a Professor of Digital Media at Drexel University. I was watching his video Q&A: Why I don’t use binaural audio in my videos about spatial audio

when at 15:36 he spoke about Smyth Realiser A16. He said that he heard that the Realiser A16 is great, but he didn’t have the opportunity to test one. He would be willing to do a review if someone would lend him a unit.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #15,297 of 16,046
He said that he heard that the Realiser A16 is great, but he didn’t have the opportunity to test one. He would be willing to do a review if someone would lend him a unit.
He is about an hour from me... might reach out to him.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #15,299 of 16,046
@Litlgi74: I think it would be very interesting if you two managed to do a review for the Realiser A16. Both of you are more knowledgeable than previous reviewers from other sites. The most comprehensive review so far was also posted in this forum by @jazzfan roughly three years ago.
I just sent Mr Wagner an email... I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #15,300 of 16,046
I just sent Mr Wagner an email... I'll let you know how it goes.
I really enjoy Michael Wagner’s videos and I highly recommend them. He would do a great job of reviewing the A16 with your guidance along the learning curve!

This is a good starting video for folks who haven’t watched him before:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back