Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 5, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #15,331 of 16,011
I started using the flat EQ, both of the HPEQs I made had the channel balance issue, I adjusted the balance but they sound very artificial compared to the flat EQ. Maybe too much processing, is there a better way of getting HPEQs? Using the provided microphones doesn’t seem very reliable.
Which headphones are you using? Perhaps some kind soul here with non-2.15 firmware who has the same headphone model can send you their measured HPEQ.

I have a pair of HD-800s, and the A16 includes an HPEQ for the previous model (HD-800). This sounded fine to me, although the updated HPEQ for my specific headphone model from 3D Sound Shop is definitely better.

Your only other choice at the moment using your A16 is to try the MANLOUD procedure, as it doesn’t use the microphones. It is pretty tedious and I haven’t had much luck, although I think I might want to give the threshold level method a go (there is a discussion of this way upthread). None of my over-the-ear headphones sounded reasonable with 2.15-measured HPEQs. I do have a pair of ”chi-fi” IEMs that sound quite good with flatEQ.

2.15 came out in June. With any luck we won’t have to wait much longer for fixes. I’m anxious to try async PRIR measurements but will have to be patient and wait for the firmware fix.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #15,333 of 16,011
Which headphones are you using? Perhaps some kind soul here with non-2.15 firmware who has the same headphone model can send you their measured HPEQ.
I offered him my HPEQ for the HD800s.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #15,334 of 16,011
Just tested the Virtuoso standalone app on Apple OSX - works well with Roon and plays 5.1 music from Qobuz. Very impressive and totally stable so far. Will probably buy a license for when I am travelling and away from my A16.
Just curious, which connector did you use between your players and Virtuoso? Loopback, blackhole, or something different? I’ve been using loopback on its free trial but if blackhole works well I’ll probably switch to that.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #15,335 of 16,011
Just curious, which connector did you use between your players and Virtuoso? Loopback, blackhole, or something different? I’ve been using loopback on its free trial but if blackhole works well I’ll probably switch to that.
Blackhole works well.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #15,336 of 16,011
I started using the flat EQ, both of the HPEQs I made had the channel balance issue, I adjusted the balance but they sound very artificial compared to the flat EQ. Maybe too much processing, is there a better way of getting HPEQs? Using the provided microphones doesn’t seem very reliable.
The best option is to use a flatEQ and manipulate it using the manLOUD process... While you won't be able to EQ the full frequency response of your headphones... You will be killing two birds (PRIR and HPEQ) with one stone.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #15,339 of 16,011
Decoding Legacy (up to 7.1) and channel mapping has been doable for some time, especially on a Mac. But immersive audio, that is another story.

This is very exciting.
Is it possible to decode legacy 5.1 from Netflix on a Mac? I thought this was impossible from a browser but I may be wrong. Would be very useful for Virtuoso users.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #15,341 of 16,011
Is it possible to decode legacy 5.1 from Netflix on a Mac? I thought this was impossible from a browser but I may be wrong. Would be very useful for Virtuoso users.
I only got to use the software for a short time... And only used Roon. (7.1)

But Mr. Wagner tells me that the software is fully compatible with the Apple TV app... Which supports Atmos.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #15,343 of 16,011
Thanks - I have been impressed by Virtuoso with Roon, and especially Qobuz 5.1. Will try with Plex, Apple Music and Apple TV when I have the time.
I’ve just confirmed that surround/atmos works on the TV app on my Mac. I also got 5.1 working in Netflix.

To get Netflix in 5.1 on a Mac takes a bit more doing, as there is no Netflix app just access via a browser, and the default player script doesn’t support surround or 1080p. The easiest way to enable these at the moment seems to be to install an extension into Google Chrome; find it by searching for “netflix 1080p 5.1 extension chrome”. The chrome web store will display it as “Netflix 1080p”. Install the extension, then click on the extensions icon in chrome, click options (the three dots in a vertical line) and click “options”. Choose “Use 5.1 audio when available”; I also enabled “Automatically select best bitrate available.”

There also seems to be a $0.99 extension to Safari that came out in April 2023 but I didn’t try it.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #15,345 of 16,011
I’ve just confirmed that surround/atmos works on the TV app on my Mac. I also got 5.1 working in Netflix.

To get Netflix in 5.1 on a Mac takes a bit more doing, as there is no Netflix app just access via a browser, and the default player script doesn’t support surround or 1080p. The easiest way to enable these at the moment seems to be to install an extension into Google Chrome; find it by searching for “netflix 1080p 5.1 extension chrome”. The chrome web store will display it as “Netflix 1080p”. Install the extension, then click on the extensions icon in chrome, click options (the three dots in a vertical line) and click “options”. Choose “Use 5.1 audio when available”; I also enabled “Automatically select best bitrate available.”

There also seems to be a $0.99 extension to Safari that came out in April 2023 but I didn’t try it.
So does that mean your Mac Sierra (?) browser is rendering 1080p SD, rather than 4K HDR over your Mac when you want it to decode a 5.1 Netflix soundtrack? Sounds like it does. That's one of the reasons I balked at going to a Mac One Mini. All I could ever read in the reviews was how nifty it was at running Final Cut Pro as if that's the only or even the primary application everyone would be using it for. My concern was always that for all its processing power it would not be able to do some mundane Home Theater task (like decode 5.1 Netflix 4K HDR) that my Mele Quieter 3Q could do in its sleep. Indeed on ASR, they have a thread on how the Mac M1 Pro stutters when outputting to a USB Dac. And reliable Windows developed HT software--things like PEQ software like EQ APO, software crossovers like Dephonica,freeware. and even some of the more ambitious room and speaker correction programs like Acourate and Audiolense won't run natively on it either.

So it just seemed to me that unless a MAC could actually add some new capability to the HTPC game--like Decoding Atmos and rendering a multichannel LPCM stream via USB to a multchannel DAC, it really couldn't do anything a tried and true windows machine could not do more cheaply and reliably, and might actually have a few deal breakers in there (like no desktop Netflix app, difficult streaming via USB, poor support for legacy surround formats) that might just make it (IMHO, of course) the decidedly worse option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back