Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #15,136 of 15,987
Primus's 5.1 flac for "Sea of Cheese" has really impressed me with the surround sound nature of it.
I had forgotten about this album... Thanks for the reminder. Lots of fun. The Auromatic upmix makes the PCM sound dull in comparison.🤪

One of my favorite things about multi-channel music and the Realiser is the ability to quickly solo the center channel. The vocals are usually isolated to the center channel... And sometimes the sound of the vocals without the accompanying instruments is quite telling. 🤮

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #15,137 of 15,987
I had forgotten about this album... Thanks for the reminder. Lots of fun. The Auromatic upmix makes the PCM sound dull in comparison.🤪

One of my favorite things about multi-channel music and the Realiser is the ability to quickly solo the center channel. The vocals are usually isolated to the center channel... And sometimes the sound of the vocals without the accompanying instruments is quite telling. 🤮
I had forgotten about Primus too. The Realiser has opened me back up to non-metal and non-hip-hop. It’s been great. I just got the surround mix of Bitches Brew, and I can’t wait to listen to it tonight.

I dunno if I’m just getting tired of metal and hip-hop (my 2 preferred genres), but “other” genres are great. There are few metal and hip-hop 5.1 mixes, but luckily many of the classics from other genres have 5.1. Rumors, for instance, is fukkin’ amazing and has amazing surround sound. The Realiser is the truth.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #15,138 of 15,987
I had forgotten about Primus too. The Realiser has opened me back up to non-metal and non-hip-hop. It’s been great. I just got the surround mix of Bitches Brew, and I can’t wait to listen to it tonight.

I dunno if I’m just getting tired of metal and hip-hop (my 2 preferred genres), but “other” genres are great. There are few metal and hip-hop 5.1 mixes, but luckily many of the classics from other genres have 5.1. Rumors, for instance, is fukkin’ amazing and has amazing surround sound. The Realiser is the truth.
Put Nirvana Unplugged on your list... And if you are open to Bluegrass... Check out Nickel Creeks first album. Both are reference recordings.

PS... I'm not really a fan... But most LOVE Dire Straits Brothers in Arms.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #15,140 of 15,987
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #15,142 of 15,987
Is it possible to buy one of these? I see people mentioning in this thread that they have been waiting for years, is the company still making them?
Yes if you pay full price. Should get one in two weeks or so. The ones who have been waiting for years are backers and people who made preorders at a steep discount.

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #15,143 of 15,987
Is it possible to buy one of these? I see people mentioning in this thread that they have been waiting for years, is the company still making them?
Yeah, I bought one full price and it took about 4 weeks to get.

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #15,144 of 15,987
That's what I thought as well... But apparently it's possible and not uncommon to stack 3 or 4 A8s. In one of my brief conversations with Terry Shultz, he informed me that because of the limited availability of A16s... many pros stack their older A8s to create immersive content.
Similar to syncing 3 stereo DACs to get playback of recordings mixed in 5.0 or 5.1.

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #15,145 of 15,987

So you've had a chance to listen to surround albums from Opeth, Mastodon, Anathema, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Storm Corrosion, Porcupine Tree...and Beyonce? And have you picked up the recent Rhino Records release of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" in quadraphonic sound? Bitches Brew, by the way, is pretty trippy in quad. And if you like trippy, be sure to check out The Dukes of Stratosphere and The Flaming Lips.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #15,146 of 15,987
You can satisfy both choices with any of the *name of old famous rock/metal guys* play with a symphonic orchestra.
To me it has been like the MTV unplugged albums, sometimes great, sometimes not so much, but almost always an original experience.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #15,147 of 15,987
You can satisfy both choices with any of the *name of old famous rock/metal guys* play with a symphonic orchestra.
To me it has been like the MTV unplugged albums, sometimes great, sometimes not so much, but almost always an original experience.
What if you want to say "no" to Symphonic Yes? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #15,148 of 15,987
I just listened to the Flaming Lip's "Yoshimi Battle the Pink Robots" in 5.1, and wow, what a trippy experience. That surround sound, even on my Shang, was crazy. Best 5.1 mix I've heard so far! :L3000:

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #15,149 of 15,987
I just heard from James that the repairs are done and my A16 is going through testing. With any luck it’ll ship back to me later this week. I can’t downgrade to 2.12 because the hardware isn’t compatible, but I’ll report back any HPEQ weirdness (and eventually PRIR results).

Take everything James says which a gigantic tub of salt. My unit has just been sitting there since May 19th, which was a Friday. I actually spoke with him on the phone on the 19th, and his exact words were "these issues don't take long to diagnose, so we'll likely have it figured out by Monday and get back with you".

Never heard back from him, and then I had to find out from John (Litlgi74) like two and a half weeks later that they were inquiring about the specific problems I said my unit was having. James couldn't be bothered to actually contact me about it.

Two more weeks go by and I send him an email asking for a realistic ETA on when I could actually expect to get my unit back, and to be honest about it even if they don't think it would be until the end of the summer. He then tells me they just started looking at it that day. Then more back and forth happens, he finally says they fixed everything and asked me if I was ready to have it shipped back. I tell him yes, then more crickets and the following week he goes on a two week vacation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back