Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 26, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #15,167 of 16,046
Excerpt from FAQ page at https://smyth-research.com/frequentlyaskedquestions/

Q. Will the A16 support SACD (DSD)?

Yes in conjunction with the higher sampling rate PCM modes we plan to support 2-ch DSD input via HDMI and will decode internally to 32-bit floating point PCM @176.4kHz before processing by the SVS algorithm. Headphone output will be analog and SPDIF 24-bit @176.4kHz. DST is not currently supported by our HDMI interface so multi-channel DSD support is not imminent.
Thanks much, I had forgotten about that FAQ entry.

To be honest, it’s a weird answer since DST pass-through as a native bitstream has been part of the HDMI standard (as an optional ability) since 1.3a and the A16 is 2.0-compliant. Software to decompress DST is fairly computation-intensive (I believe the FOOBAR DST plug-in had to be multithreaded in order to achieve realtime throughput). It wouldn’t be surprising that it would stress the ARM board in the A16 and so decompression wouldn’t be done there. The APM-110 certainly seems to have the raw DSP processing capability to handle it, but since it’s not mentioned on their data sheet it is evidently not implemented.

I really doubt that AVRs that process native DSD-DST bitstreams are doing the DST decompression in their HDMI stages. But it wouldn’t be the first or last time I made a silly assumption :relaxed:. The only downside to not having native DSD-DST decoding on the A16 is that I need to switch my Oppo from DSD bitstream to PCM output (I use DSD bitstream to my AVR, although TBH that’s just a habit and I don’t hear any obvious difference when the Oppo sends multichannel PCM Instead).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #15,168 of 16,046
From the APM-110 data sheet, DSD decoding is supported by that particular board (which is used in the A16). Interesting that it is not enabled. Perhaps a licensing issue, and the cost would be too high? Certainly similar and higher bitrate signaling over HDMI for DTS, DD, and Atmos is already working in the A16, so it’s not likely a technical issue related to the frequency of the signals.
I'd assume that DSD support is something that needs to be licensed from MDS, and the audio router needs to learn how to feed DSD signals to the MDS DSP board. It should not make any difference at all where the DSD is converted to PCM, the result should always be the same. I'd rather see the Smyths invest time in other improvements that actually make a difference.

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #15,169 of 16,046
Does anyone have the same problem as I have? I can upgrade the firmware to latest but I can't fully factory reset, Everytime I try to reset it crashes during the process.... I have tried many time to reinstall the firmware(including downgrading then upgrade again) and resetting it, but no luck. This have been like this since last firmware... I also email James many times but no luck, he only replied to me the first few times. Does anyone have any idea that I can try?

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_222759.jpg
    IMG_20230724_222759.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #15,170 of 16,046
I think that this streamer can even be used for a certain flavour of immersive audio. As Auro-3D files (embedded in 5.1 FLAC) have been available for some time, I’m going to check how those files are rendered by Eversolo DMP-A6 together with Realiser A16.
Until now, I had never heard of the Eversolo streamer. It looks like it has excellent specs and it's exceptionally reasonably priced. The potential storage capacity and the fact that you can connect up external drive to rip CDs are both winners. I also see that it comes in two editions, one for $899 and the other for $1299. Very cool.

Jul 26, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #15,171 of 16,046
Does anyone have the same problem as I have? I can upgrade the firmware to latest but I can't fully factory reset, Everytime I try to reset it crashes during the process.... I have tried many time to reinstall the firmware(including downgrading then upgrade again) and resetting it, but no luck. This have been like this since last firmware... I also email James many times but no luck, he only replied to me the first few times. Does anyone have any idea that I can try?
First post with a 13 year old account? Welcome.

If you downgrade and do not upgrade again, so running the previous firmware, does a full factory restore work then?
If it does, it is probably better to keep running the previous firmware for the time being.

I haven't upgraded yet, and feel even less tempted now (we already suspect there is a bug in 2.15 regarding PRIR/HPEQ measurements).

Probably my comments are not very satisfying but I did not want to ignore your question, especially as it is your first post.

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #15,172 of 16,046
Until now, I had never heard of the Eversolo streamer. It looks like it has excellent specs and it's exceptionally reasonably priced. The potential storage capacity and the fact that you can connect up external drive to rip CDs are both winners. I also see that it comes in two editions, one for $899 and the other for $1299. Very cool.
Eversolo called the more expensive variant as A6 Master Edition and I think it fits better with high audiophile demands. For a device that can provide the transport of files to the Realiser A16, the cheaper version is a quite complete solution.

In addition, the ease of use and the convenient touchscreen make it better than other streamers. However, there might be a bit of confusion what the naming is concerned. Eversolo also sells another device called Eversolo A6, which is actually a white noise generator.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #15,173 of 16,046
I just gotta say Bitches Brew is amazing in 4.0 with the A16. Maybe I like jazz now? :thinking:

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #15,176 of 16,046
Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on one of these. From the look of this thread, seems like a nightmare to own....
My A16 was amazingly great for the 7 days it was working. Unbelievably great. I hope it feels great again once I finally get it back from repair.

My expectations are fortunately tempered by my experience with astrophotography equipment, particularly high end telescope mounts. Similar tiny market, sometimes overseas shipping for repair, expensive. Caveat emptor on all such things. At least telescope mounts are often repairable by the owner.

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #15,178 of 16,046
Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on one of these. From the look of this thread, seems like a nightmare to own....
Nah, sh!t's great. The UI and UX of it is terrible though. But after a few days of tweaking everything, it starts to make sense. It can do surround sound really well. It opens up headphones to 5.1 SACD and DVDA mixes, which was kinda impossible before without speakers. I'm finding some great albums due to the A16. I'd definitely recommend it. I'm not updating the firmware though... :beyersmile:

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #15,179 of 16,046
The UI and UX of it is terrible though.
You probably never seen or used an A8...

Compared to the A8, usage of the A16 is like a dream. (I can do many regular things without manual. With the A8: volume up/down, maybe preset change. Everything else is not intuitive at all and can't be done without the manual.) I think that the Smyths did a reasonably good job with the UI of the A16. Creating a good UI/UX needs a lot of manpower esp. in testing, whicht their small business just couldn't afford. IMO that's one of the basic things they totally underestimated in the first place.
I think as it is now it's ok, and they are still improving things. Only the remote control is not that good quality-wise.
And there is also the app-control for some things, but you need an iOS device for that. I haven't tested it myself though, mainly because of laziness and focus on other things.

And to be honest, just try to setup a modern AV-Receiver, then we talk again...

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #15,180 of 16,046
I've had mine since they started shipping in summer 2019 (I think?) and I have loved owning it. The UX/UI is at times awful though. To me dealing with that pain is worth the end result, which is an an amazing surround sound experience through headphones. It does help to have the tight knit community of this thread to ask questions and work through issues with as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back