Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 19, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #15,107 of 16,046
To confirm if it is a firmware bug, re-recorded another PRIR and the same inaccurate positioning drift occurred again, so it does seem to be a firmware bug.
Ahaa, so it happens when capturing a new PRIR, I had not understood that correctly from your earlier post.
Then it is not strange nobody else noticed it yet because most A16 owners don't make a new PRIR very often.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #15,109 of 16,046
Don’t you think it would be better that @weijiangnan write a message to James Smyth about this issue?
Ah yes, of course. @weijiangnan: please do write James about it.
Use "2.15 bug report" as subject then hopefully they will read your mail.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #15,110 of 16,046
I'm a long time pre-order customer who's still hoping to get a Realiser even if I have to pay a little more (not full price though).

Anyway, in an effort to help the company get back on its feet, I emailed James Smyth about how he could use the push of Dolby Atmos mixes by the music industry to sell many more units at full price. Setting up a studio to mix in Atmos can be prohibitively expensive for many, and the Realiser 16 could have been a great option for people on a budget.

I have no idea if he even read that email. So, if anyone has a way to contact him, please pass along the message. Maybe that could help them get back on track with deliveries:fingers_crossed:.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #15,111 of 16,046
Have checked the HT setting and it has been left at "0"; returned to 2.12 firmware, after capturing the production PRIR, checked the quality of the file was perfect, then upgraded again to 2.15 and it works fine.
To confirm if it is a firmware bug, re-recorded another PRIR and the same inaccurate positioning drift occurred again, so it does seem to be a firmware bug.
The best way to do it now is to make the PRIR under 2.12 firmware and use it under 2.15 firmware, because the Tactile out effect under 2.15 firmware is very good.
So this is a real shot in the dark from an A16 neophyte. I received my new A16 mid-June, so it has the new ARM microprocessor and requires 2.15 (and obviously came with 2.15). About a week in I finally got around to making HPEQs for my various headphones, and the resulting output using those HPEQs was shifted substantially to the right. I figured that it was an issue with microphone placement in my ears, but before I had a chance to sort things out my A16 started throwing “Error Code 003” and had to be shipped back to Smyth for repair under warranty (solder fix on the DSP).

However, the one thing I noticed in the 2.15 firmware notes which weren’t available until just before my unit went bad (the 2.15 firmware officially released after I got my A16) is that there is a differential adjustment now available that allows different gains for the left and right microphone inputs. By chance if 2.15 comes with a bad default differential gain setting, that would mess up PRIR measurements as well.

Like I said, a shot in the dark, but perhaps worth the check. There’s a procedure in the 2.15 firmware notes to use pink noise to measure microphone response and set the differential gains.

I just heard from James that the repairs are done and my A16 is going through testing. With any luck it’ll ship back to me later this week. I can’t downgrade to 2.12 because the hardware isn’t compatible, but I’ll report back any HPEQ weirdness (and eventually PRIR results).

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #15,113 of 16,046

I just heard from James that the repairs are done and my A16 is going through testing. With any luck it’ll ship back to me later this week. I can’t downgrade to 2.12 because the hardware isn’t compatible, but I’ll report back any HPEQ weirdness (and eventually PRIR results).
As long as your Realiser A16 unit is still going through testing, you might also write a message to James Smyth pointing to the bug reported by @weijiangnan.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #15,114 of 16,046
As long as your Realiser A16 unit is still going through testing, you might also write a message to James Smyth pointing to the bug reported by @weijiangnan.
I will certainly pass it along at the next message interchange (typically James takes up to a week on responses, and I’m waiting on his latest).

I will be most interested first to see if @weijiangnan looks and finds any issue with microphone gain settings.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #15,115 of 16,046
Not sure if emails will be checked... The Smyths will be out of the office for the next two weeks.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #15,117 of 16,046
I'm a long time pre-order customer who's still hoping to get a Realiser even if I have to pay a little more (not full price though).

Anyway, in an effort to help the company get back on its feet, I emailed James Smyth about how he could use the push of Dolby Atmos mixes by the music industry to sell many more units at full price. Setting up a studio to mix in Atmos can be prohibitively expensive for many, and the Realiser 16 could have been a great option for people on a budget.

I have no idea if he even read that email. So, if anyone has a way to contact him, please pass along the message. Maybe that could help them get back on track with deliveries:fingers_crossed:.
Wait, can the A16 do Dolby Atmos mixes that you can get on Tidal? I need to look into this

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #15,118 of 16,046
@Litlgi74 I want to buy a PRIR file from your shop. Do you have a quick how-to sheet for getting my zipped A16 log file?

Edit: Nevermind, I just figured it out.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #15,119 of 16,046
Wait, can the A16 do Dolby Atmos mixes that you can get on Tidal? I need to look into this
Amazon 4k firestick can deliver (lossy) Atmos via Tidal... But fidelity is considerably less when compared to the same content on physical media.

* Volume is actually reduced by about 10db.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back