Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 14, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #11,956 of 16,011
Any reason for optimism here? Is there anything regarding shipping I don't know? Got this from James this morning. I am seriously considering giving up or selling my place in line without any definitive updates.

Hi Phil,

Due to the shortage of parts we have continually been redesigning the A16 and sourcing parts. Currently we are testing the new motherboard and if this works we can start A16 production again.
So it's a big couple of weeks for us. And so far so good with testing.

Once we have restocked we will start shipping KickStarter and Pre-orders right away. We have every intention in fulfilling the remaining back
log of orders and we'll make sure everyone including yourself will get their A16 unit.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Kind regards
James
I checked again with AV-In (Gilles Gerin) web site today and his delivery schedule changed from "available" yesterday to “August 2021” today.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #11,957 of 16,011
Any reason for optimism here? Is there anything regarding shipping I don't know? Got this from James this morning. I am seriously considering giving up or selling my place in line without any definitive updates.

Hi Phil,

Due to the shortage of parts we have continually been redesigning the A16 and sourcing parts. Currently we are testing the new motherboard and if this works we can start A16 production again.

Once we have restocked we will start shipping KickStarter and Pre-orders right away. We have every intention in fulfilling the remaining back
log of orders and we'll make sure everyone including yourself will get their A16 unit.

Kind regards
James
Better than saying "Sorry, we give up" I suppose. By the tone I have to wonder if they plan to remain a going concern after they fulfill the kickstarter and Pre-orders--assuming, of course, they can fulfill them.

Really been a triple whammy: Their own poor planning regarding pricing for kickstarer and pre-order as well as development time; the covid crisis and the worldwide supply chain problems it created; and, finally, the fire at the supplier which exacerbated an already dire supply situation.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #11,959 of 16,011
Better than saying "Sorry, we give up" I suppose. By the tone I have to wonder if they plan to remain a going concern after they fulfill the kickstarter and Pre-orders--assuming, of course, they can fulfill them.

Really been a triple whammy: Their own poor planning regarding pricing for kickstarer and pre-order as well as development time; the covid crisis and the worldwide supply chain problems it created; and, finally, the fire at the supplier which exacerbated an already dire supply situation.
I totally understand all this, and have gone through all the stages of grief with this thing. At first I was happy I'd get a later unit. Now I'm not even sure if what I receive will be useable, or a pile of "work-around" issues. Also, DTS-X still in the queue is very troubling. Why can't they just give us an update? It's draining to check this forum/kickstarter every week or 2.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #11,960 of 16,011
Only been 2 days since I emailed all 3 people about remote.. no answer , should I be worried... what happens if I can get new remote.. is product dead ?
If you're asking me, you're better off with a Harmony if you also want to control other devices as well (although I have returned mine because it (or rather their support) couldn't cope with the complexity of my IR macros). You could also use Centro via IP on an iPad or iPhone. If you're more adventurous, a Phlips Pronto NG or Pro or a JP1 remote would be an option. Any of the high end controls, like Control4, AMX or Crestron should work as well, although those would be rather costly. Not sure if you need an IR remote to enable IP control.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #11,961 of 16,011

Hi Phil,

Kind regards
James

This is unfortunate, and I'm getting a huge sense of deja vu. What really sucks though is that it seemed like the slowest moving train in the world was finally picking up steam, and then 2020, and all that encompassed happened. This at least answers some questions I actually sent James (that he did not respond to) when he gave me the info about the stands that they used at their demos.

I was assuming that it wouldn't be until November or December before things are back on track so to speak. This seems to confirm that's likely going to happen.

Also, this would make what, the third iteration of the A16 that will have been shipped? What happens if a unit needs to be repaired for an internal issue, do they just put in an entirely new board, or do you think they are trying to make boards that are already compatible with the parts they previously used? Worse yet, everyone gets a unit, but then that's it. You better hope nothing physically ever breaks with yours, because they won't be able to repair it.

I was even considering just paying the remainder of the full price sometime early next year if they were actually actively making them again, but I'm not going to give them the balance if that means I'll have to be waiting another six months to a full year again.

Whatever happened with their partnership with Heavenly Sound?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #11,962 of 16,011
Getting a bunch of audio dropouts on firmware 2.0. now on Tru-HD Atmos tracks ( 5-10 on a 2.5hr film) , Also suffered from remote becoming unresponsive except power button. Really concerned about the stability of this device. Mine is an apm 110 version.

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #11,963 of 16,011
Also, this would make what, the third iteration of the A16 that will have been shipped? What happens if a unit needs to be repaired for an internal issue, do they just put in an entirely new board, or do you think they are trying to make boards that are already compatible with the parts they previously used? Worse yet, everyone gets a unit, but then that's it. You better hope nothing physically ever breaks with yours, because they won't be able to repair it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about hardware incompatibilities. The boards are logically grouped and most likely use (somewhat) standardized buses to connect between them, i.e I²S. However supporting multiple combinations of DACs, DSPs, HDMI interfaces doesn't make it easier to develop, test and maintain the firmware...

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #11,964 of 16,011
I watched black hawk down in a 15.1.8 room created with BBC prir, the details screen (up arrow) it mentions decode 9.1.6 and listening 9.1.10, I am not sure what’s up with that as my room doesn’t have that many top channels. And Smyth is yet to enable 10 top channels.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #11,965 of 16,011
I watched black hawk down in a 15.1.8 room created with BBC prir, the details screen (up arrow) it mentions decode 9.1.6 and listening 9.1.10, I am not sure what’s up with that as my room doesn’t have that many top channels. And Smyth is yet to enable 10 top channels.
Create a 12.1.10 Listening Room.

I was thoroughly impressed on how the film sounded in 15.1.8.

Did you enjoy the audio?

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #11,966 of 16,011
Create a 12.1.10 Listening Room.

I was thoroughly impressed on how the film sounded in 15.1.8.

Did you enjoy the audio?
I have you to thank for it, possibly the best Atmos mix I ever heard. Amazing!!! The sound designers knew what they were doing.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #11,967 of 16,011
I have you to thank for it, possibly the best Atmos mix I ever heard. Amazing!!! The sound designers knew what they were doing.
Check out the film Gravity. with the Atmos mix... Very impressive... Maybe more so than Black Hawk Down.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #11,968 of 16,011
Check out the film Gravity. with the Atmos mix... Very impressive... Maybe more so than Black Hawk Down.
I had heard it on my physical 7.2.4 system, it was good. I will pull out the bluray for a realiser listen.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #11,969 of 16,011
If you're asking me, you're better off with a Harmony if you also want to control other devices as well (although I have returned mine because it (or rather their support) couldn't cope with the complexity of my IR macros). You could also use Centro via IP on an iPad or iPhone. If you're more adventurous, a Phlips Pronto NG or Pro or a JP1 remote would be an option. Any of the high end controls, like Control4, AMX or Crestron should work as well, although those would be rather costly. Not sure if you need an IR remote to enable IP control.
Are you aware that Logitech stopped production of the Harmonys? So will be more and more difficult to get one.
This is very unfortunate, cause there is no real replacement in this price range.
I own an older 900, and i recently bought a used (or rather unused) Smart Control from a friend, but didn't have time to test and program it yet.
I think the hub alone is still available, but hub with remote seem to be sold out more or less.
The hub can be used with a smartphone or tablet, as a standalone solution.
Advantage of the hub is that it can also control BT devices afaik, for example my Fire TV stick, and I think apple tv also.

Logitech said they will support the Harmonys "as long as people use them", but I suppose not more than 2-3 years from now, just as long as the warranty lasts of the now purchased remaining devices in stock.

But even with a Harmony and a lost A16 remote you'll have a problem. As we already said, Logitech has the A8 codes in their database but they are not really usable with the A16, and some keys are missing.

I intend to let the Harmony learn some of the keys of the A16 remote (not all of them). Can the Logitech support integrate those learned codes from a user into their database? (If they still do that kind of support?)
I asked Stephen once if they can send their codes to Logitech but got no answer. I don't know how the A8 codes got into their database, if Smyth sent them, or by a user.

If @PROTIEUS has an ipad or iphone, he should definitely try to use the Centro Control App.

Unfortunately I do not have an i-Device, and am not (yet) willing to spend 300+ eur for an ipad just to use the Centro Control App, esp. if I don't know if it works well, not many users here seem to use it or report about it.

What I don't understand is, why are there no (Android-) Apps where you can just implement the TCP/IP codes Smyth list in their document and then control the A16 via IP, at least without back channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back