Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #11,971 of 15,989
I was very much looking forward to the 4k version of Gravity to be released in Oct 2021.......unfortunately looks like it has been pushed back to 2022 :frowning2:
I ripped the Dolby Atmos soundtrack from the Diamond version of the blu-ray.. and re-encoded it to the 3D version... Awesome... Especially on an OLED.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #11,972 of 15,989
I ripped the Dolby Atmos soundtrack from the Diamond version of the blu-ray.. and re-encoded it to the 3D version... Awesome... Especially on an OLED.
You have an Oled that plays 3D?which one? I didn't know 3d made a comeback after being discarded at the dawn of 4KHDR

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #11,973 of 15,989
LG OLED65E6V... 2017... I think.

The last of the 3D TVs

I also have a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 plasma... It uses active 3D glasses.. it really can't compare to the OLED.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #11,974 of 15,989
I have a JVC X5900 3D capable projector on a 9ft wide screen...
I like 3D and am happy that 3D discs are made still, although without 3D sound. That's annoying.
I always have to decide if I buy the 3D Bluray (mostly without Atmos) or the 4k UHD, no 3D picture, but 3D sound.
Since the UHDs are often more expensive, and to be honest, many Atmos mixes are not that spectacular I take the 3D BD.
Sometimes I'm impressed what the Dolby Surround upmixer does with the height channels.

It's good that 3D is still "alive" in the cinema.
HDR on the other hand is nearly only available in Dolby Cinemas.
And 3D HDR is only available in Dolby Cinema. And even normal 3D is quite good in Dolby Cinema, however the Dolby 3D technique is also used in other cinemas, also with 6P Laser Projectors, similar to the Dolby Christie Projectors, but not with the massive contrast and the higher brightness.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #11,975 of 15,989
I had to move my 55 Sony HX 925 3D tv away from the Atmos-DTS-X setup after I got a Sony 65 A1E. I am still sore that I can't watch 3D films with 3D audio, they are literally made for each other.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #11,976 of 15,989
If you're asking me, you're better off with a Harmony if you also want to control other devices as well (although I have returned mine because it (or rather their support) couldn't cope with the complexity of my IR macros). You could also use Centro via IP on an iPad or iPhone. If you're more adventurous, a Phlips Pronto NG or Pro or a JP1 remote would be an option. Any of the high end controls, like Control4, AMX or Crestron should work as well, although those would be rather costly. Not sure if you need an IR remote to enable IP control.
I'm looking at Logitech Harmony remotes and I'm seeing a range of prices for the various model going from $79 to $329. Which specific model will do the job and where are the codes for the A16?

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #11,977 of 15,989
Are you aware that Logitech stopped production of the Harmonys? So will be more and more difficult to get one.

Yes. I think they should still be worth getting due to the ease of setting them up. I just assumed "everyone" know about the production stop.
[...]
But even with a Harmony and a lost A16 remote you'll have a problem. As we already said, Logitech has the A8 codes in their database but they are not really usable with the A16, and some keys are missing.

All keys should be in the Pronto NG file I've linked to, and I kind of expect the NEC codes in there to be portable to the Harmony, although someone may have to extract them from the XML file included therin if the harmony support people are too lazy or incapable to do so. They should definitively be able to alter the repeat behaviour, i.e. turn any and all repeating off for the A16 - possibly for all but the volume keys.

I intend to let the Harmony learn some of the keys of the A16 remote (not all of them). Can the Logitech support integrate those learned codes from a user into their database? (If they still do that kind of support?)
They should be able to do that - possibly for each individual user if they are too stubborn to publish the result as the "A16".
I asked Stephen once if they can send their codes to Logitech but got no answer. I don't know how the A8 codes got into their database, if Smyth sent them, or by a user.
I was told that Harmony (used to?) have a policy that they only "officially" publish devices where they received IR code documentation from the manufacturer (or possibly importer).
[...]
What I don't understand is, why are there no (Android-) Apps where you can just implement the TCP/IP codes Smyth list in their document and then control the A16 via IP, at least without back channel.
There are various "remote control" apps for android, but I haven't checked if any of those can send arbitrary TCP commands.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #11,978 of 15,989
LG OLED65E6V... 2017... I think.

The last of the 3D TVs

I also have a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 plasma... It uses active 3D glasses.. it really can't compare to the OLED.

2016. The key is in the last number of the model. My best friend was all about 3D (not me for various reasons), and I ended up helping him get the same TV and size at the end of 2018 from someone who was wanting to upgrade to a newer LG model.

My friend was coming from a Samsung 3D plasma. Can't remember the exact size though, it was an unusual one. Something like 51'' or 53''. I went from a 42'' Panasonic plasma to a 55'' B6 that died in just over two years, and I've had a 65'' C8 since the start of 2019. Initially I thought the size might be too big for my viewing distance, but nope. After a week or two of acclimating, I didn't think I'd ever settle for a smaller size again.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #11,979 of 15,989
Recently, I’ve made another HPEQ file for my headphones using a pair of Dekoni Bulletz instead of the supplied yellow ear foams. This solution has been recommended by @Litlgi74 in his Post #11,648. It’s indeed a more convenient approach for correctly inserting the microphones in the ear canal and also providing secure fit.

Earlier, @Richter Di has reported issues with the ear foams from Smyth Research and proposed solutions as part of his Post #7,376 and Post #7,379.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #11,980 of 15,989
Recently, I’ve made another HPEQ file for my headphones using a pair of Dekoni Bulletz instead of the supplied yellow ear foams. This solution has been recommended by @Litlgi74 in his Post #11,648. It’s indeed a more convenient approach for correctly inserting the microphones in the ear canal and also providing secure fit.

Earlier, @Richter Di has reported issues with the ear foams from Smyth Research and proposed solutions as part of his Post #7,376 and Post #7,379.

I actually ordered two of the sample packs a few days ago (due to the the post by @Litlgi74) , so I'd have three difference sizes for my friend and me, and they are out for delivery now. :)

The Smyths shipped me three packages of their yellow foam tips back in 2019, but it seemed like only a single pair (or two at best) per pack fit, and even then I had to go somewhat larger and then just smash them in my ear until they conformed. Those were only $5.00 total though. Hopefully the Dekoni work better for $32. :thinking:
They likely will though simply because they aren't just a flat cylinder on both ends. That's what made inserting the default tips so annoying.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #11,981 of 15,989
I actually ordered two of the sample packs a few days ago (due to the the post by @Litlgi74) , so I'd have three difference sizes for my friend and me, and they are out for delivery now. :)

The Smyths shipped me three packages of their yellow foam tips back in 2019, but it seemed like only a single pair (or two at best) per pack fit, and even then I had to go somewhat larger and then just smash them in my ear until they conformed. Those were only $5.00 total though. Hopefully the Dekoni work better for $32. :thinking:
They likely will though simply because they aren't just a flat cylinder on both ends. That's what made inserting the default tips so annoying.
They will work.. LOL.

I use the medium size.. I'm able to push the microphone deep enough into my ear so that the microphone is flush with the outside of my ear canal... The best part... THEY DON'T MOVE!

I mentioned the Dekonis to the Smyths.. not sure if they were really interested.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #11,982 of 15,989
They will work.. LOL.

I use the medium size.. I'm able to push the microphone deep enough into my ear so that the microphone is flush with the outside of my ear canal... The best part... THEY DON'T MOVE!

I mentioned the Dekonis to the Smyths.. not sure if they were really interested.
I've order the sample pack with the three sizes from Amazon. Seems like getting the proper fit will now be easy and, most importantly, repeatable with these.

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #11,983 of 15,989
I haven't actually opened my pack yet, but unless it's just for aesthetic purposes, it appears that the inner most foam (the shafts) have a different coloration to them as though maybe they are stiffer than the surrounding foam. Win/Win if so.

BTW, how would one go about cleaning these? I'd make sure my ears were clean when using them for the purposes of getting a PRIR done, but these seem like they were meant for everyday use with IEMs. Just soapy water? Wouldn't that make them more pliant over time, and eventually kind of useless? Not a big deal with the rubber/silicone tips.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #11,984 of 15,989
“When you take them out at the end of the day, and they look a little funky (we all produce earwax, its okay!) simply wipe them off with a non-alcoholic cloth, or with a little soap and warm water (do not submerge them, as that will cause them to lose their density more quickly), and let them dry on a paper towel. Once they dry, they’re ready for the next days listening. Unlike other memory foam tips, these will not flake off and leave black foam residue in your ear or on the towel. After 1-3 months you can expect the foam will start losing its density, and it will be time to replace them and put in a new pair.”

Source: Bulletz- In-Ear Headphone Tips
https://dekoniaudio.com/product-category/bulletz/

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #11,985 of 15,989
“When you take them out at the end of the day, and they look a little funky (we all produce earwax, its okay!) simply wipe them off with a non-alcoholic cloth, or with a little soap and warm water (do not submerge them, as that will cause them to lose their density more quickly), and let them dry on a paper towel. Once they dry, they’re ready for the next days listening. Unlike other memory foam tips, these will not flake off and leave black foam residue in your ear or on the towel. After 1-3 months you can expect the foam will start losing its density, and it will be time to replace them and put in a new pair.”

Source: Bulletz- In-Ear Headphone Tips
https://dekoniaudio.com/product-category/bulletz/

Yeah, pretty much only going to use them for the A8/A16 then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back