Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #11,986 of 15,989
I hope everyone has ordered the Gemini 3mm? FYI...they are a little snug going on...

The best part of the Bulletz for me is that unlike the yellow foam... The dekoni foam does not deform and get in the way of the microphone.

You won't regret your purchase.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #11,987 of 15,989
If @PROTIEUS has an ipad or iphone, he should definitely try to use the Centro Control App.

Unfortunately I do not have an i-Device, and am not (yet) willing to spend 300+ eur for an ipad just to use the Centro Control App, esp. if I don't know if it works well, not many users here seem to use it or report about it.
I will try it at a certain point. Started to read the manual for this https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/A16-IP-command-server-May-2020-1.pdf
But it is pretty complicated.
However, to connect to your A16 you need to enter the A16s IP address and port
number. Exit the Centro Control app, go to iOS Settings and select Centro Control. Select the Device Addresses page
(figure 8) and enter the IP address and Port number as the first entry into Device Locations. Now restart the Centro
Control app. Ensure also that the IP address and port number in the A16 and Centro Control app are the same, the A16 IP
command server is enabled and the A16 connected to your network using an ethernet cable. If it is necessary to download
the Smyth Research demonstration control code again, first go to iOS settings, select Centro Control, then select Project
Setup, then enable Show System Load Screen. Exit and restart the Centro Control app.
Alone connecting the A16 at the place where my computer sits to a second ethernet cable is a bit of work including buying an additional router.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #11,988 of 15,989
I hope everyone has ordered the Gemini 3mm? FYI...they are a little snug going on...

The best part of the Bulletz for me is that unlike the yellow foam... The dekoni foam does not deform and get in the way of the microphone.

Just ordered them.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #11,989 of 15,989

I just did new measurements of my headphones using them and second the recommendation. The small ones give me a snug fit and stay in place. Because they provide more padding at the butt-end of the microphone, I was able to seat them a tiny bit deeper in my ear canal. The measurements are very close to the earlier ones I made, but may be a tad smoother in the upper bass frequencies.

I've been surprised how different each of my headphones sound with the A16. The Smyths told me that they would sound quite similar thanks to the HPEQ, but that is not the case. I was also pleasantly surprised that to find that good closed back headphones work almost as well as equivalent open backs.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #11,990 of 15,989
........ I was also pleasantly surprised that to find that good closed back headphones work almost as well as equivalent open backs.
Good for you. I wish I could write about similar findings for using my closed-back headphones in conjunction with Realiser A16, but unfortunately for me that out-of-head experience was quite poor.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #11,991 of 15,989
Good for you. I wish I could write about similar findings for using my closed-back headphones in conjunction with Realiser A16, but unfortunately for me that out-of-head experience was quite poor.

What headphones did you try? I have two:

Focal Stellia: Best closed-back I've heard, as it does not have the typical closed/cupped sound. Those qualities come thru on the A-16.

DCA Ether Flow C: Excellent closed-back that excels in midrange. Has a bit of the typical closed/cupped sound. While the speakers sound properly localized on the A-16, I also get some internal reflections that keep the headphones from really disappearing. That definitely impacts the A-16 effect.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #11,992 of 15,989
I’ve tried the following closed-back headphones with my Realiser A16:

- Meze 99 Classics, a dynamic model with remarkably open-wide stage for a closed design
- LSA HP-2, a low-cost version of the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50, also with open and wide sounding

As I wrote in my previous message, the out-of-head experience was quite poor with those two closed-back headphones. I’m aware that both Meze 99 Classics and LSA HP-2 are not among the best closed-back headphones one can buy.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #11,994 of 15,989
I've carried out my tests with the aforementioned closed-back headphones in conjunction with Realiser A16 using PRIRs that I captured at home. Maybe my PRIR measurements were not quite properly done.

I’ve noticed that at av-in.com site (French distributor of the Realiser A16), out of the recommended headphones, Denon AH-D7200 is the only closed-back model.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #11,995 of 15,989
I’ve noticed that at av-in.com site (French distributor of the Realiser A16), out of the recommended headphones, Denon AH-D7200 is the only closed-back model.
I'm surprised they don't recommend the French made Stellia. Some of the best closed-backs can work pretty well with the A-16, but I'd only recommend them when one needs to control noise.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #11,996 of 15,989
I think they continue to recommend closed-back headphones from Denon based on their previous experience with these headphones. The following quote is translated from av-in.com with google translate.

“This headphone is a closed type model, which is generally not the most suitable type for spatialization. But here it is, it descends from the famous AH-D7000, a small wonder unfortunately no longer produced, used for a long time by AV-in to demonstrate the Realiser A8 (at the time) with success at many shows.”

The original text is at the link below.

https://av-in.com/collections/accessoire-complementaire/products/casque-denon-ah-d7200

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #11,997 of 15,989
I will try it at a certain point. Started to read the manual for this https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/A16-IP-command-server-May-2020-1.pdf
But it is pretty complicated.

Alone connecting the A16 at the place where my computer sits to a second ethernet cable is a bit of work including buying an additional router.
It's possible to pick up a cheap used and refurbised Ipad. Is there any specification on how recent a model it has to be to run Centro?

I also see that as currently constituted, it doesn't encompass the HPEQ and PRIR functions including real time tracking of head tracker angles (maybe later). To me that's where the real utility of such an interface lies. Using that postage stamp sized screen to keep track of head angles while you have 3 pieces of spaghetti wire hanging off you is the ultimate PIA with the A16, and I know that from experience.

just looked the app up at the Apple Online Store, and it requires iOS 9.0 or higher. I'm sure there are some cheap refurbished IPads out there. Saw an 8th Gen for $299 and it has iOS 14.0, so there's probably something even cheaper that will run this.

This would involve a lot of sweat equity, but if Smyth can just get it together to include PRIR and real time headtracking functionality with this, I think it could be an answer to our interface prayers.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #11,998 of 15,989
I've started having a strange problem that maybe someone can help me with. I listen to music using a MacBook Pro (an older one with an HDMI output). Lately, midway through a listening session, the music will stop, the computer screen will start flashing, and the A16 display will say "no HDMI" rather than PCM like it should say. No amount of restarting the computer or the A16 will immediately help, but the problem magically fixes itself if I disconnect the computer from the A16 and reconnect it later. This happens when the computer is plugged into any of the four A16 HDMI inputs. The HDMI cable is new. All the other devices connected to the A16 (Roku, Xbox) work fine. This problem only started recently. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #11,999 of 15,989
I've started having a strange problem that maybe someone can help me with. I listen to music using a MacBook Pro (an older one with an HDMI output). Lately, midway through a listening session, the music will stop, the computer screen will start flashing, and the A16 display will say "no HDMI" rather than PCM like it should say. No amount of restarting the computer or the A16 will immediately help, but the problem magically fixes itself if I disconnect the computer from the A16 and reconnect it later. This happens when the computer is plugged into any of the four A16 HDMI inputs. The HDMI cable is new. All the other devices connected to the A16 (Roku, Xbox) work fine. This problem only started recently. Any ideas?
Has it only started happening since you've upgraded to the new firmware?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #12,000 of 15,989
Has it only started happening since you've upgraded to the new firmware?
No, I bought a new one with the most current firmware installed. It only started happening recently, however, which is the weird thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back