Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #12,016 of 15,989
Ok let s take an example, if you have a sub, an active speaker and the A16, how will you set up and connect physicaly the sub and the active speaker to the A16 to be able to make a full range speaker PRIR measurement (sub+active spkr) ?
I don’t think that your approach is practically viable. Prior to carrying out PRIR measurements, you need to integrate that subwoofer into your system, which is only one active speaker. I don't see how you could do that easily.

If you had two speakers and a subwoofer available, the situation would be much easier to deal with. You could use a device from minidsp.com to integrate the subwoofer with your loudspeakers. That means you can measure, equalize the subwoofer and set up the crossover.

Once you tick these steps, you can follow one of the various methods for PRIR measurements that were described here.

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #12,017 of 15,989
Ok let s take an example, if you have a sub, an active speaker and the A16, how will you set up and connect physicaly the sub and the active speaker to the A16 to be able to make a full range speaker PRIR measurement (sub+active spkr) ?
What I actually wanted to say is that measuring a subwoofer alone without a receiver or anything else that can do some kind of bass management or crossover filtering is (or should be) possible but I would prefer to do it with a receiver or other usefull devices to indeed like @GeorgeA said properly integrate the sub into your system.

For your example, if you really only have the active speaker and the subwoofer: some active speakers have a special cross over filtered subwoofer output that you can use. Otherwise just split the line output from the A16 to the active speaker and the subwoofer and adjust the subwoofer's cross over frequency and level to match the speakers frequency range and level... but how to do that exactly is a complete story om it's own that I don't have any experience with.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #12,018 of 15,989
Otherwise just split the line output from the A16 to the active speaker and the subwoofer and adjust the subwoofer's cross over frequency and level to match the speakers frequency range and level
That s this point which i really don t know how to...like the A16 has the mini jack output channel, so should it split physically as minijack to L/R RCA with one RCA to the input of the active speaker and the other one to the input (LFE) of the Sub? and to measure the Sub only by itself, should i just go for the A16 minijack output to L/R line input of the Sub?

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #12,019 of 15,989
That s this point which i really don t know how to...like the A16 has the mini jack output channel, so should it split physically as minijack to L/R RCA with one RCA to the input of the active speaker and the other one to the input (LFE) of the Sub? and to measure the Sub only by itself, should i just go for the A16 minijack output to L/R line input of the Sub?
No. Each mini jack output outputs 2 channels. So if for example you have a minijack to L/R male RCA connected to the A16 jack output labeled 1-2 then channel 1 is going to the left RCA plug, and channel 2 is going to the right RCA plug of that cable.
So if you want to measure channel 1 (and which virtual speaker that is is defined in the selected PRIR soundroom, that is either PRIR soundroom 1 or PRIR soundroom 2, the selection between the 2 is done somewhere in the APPS->PRIR measurement menu's) with an active speaker and an active subwoofer you have to split the signal going to that male RCA left plug. For example with another cable that splits one RCA female to 2 RCA male plugs. One going to the active speaker and one to the subwoofer.
If that channel 1 was assigned to be the subwoofer (in the selected PRIR soundroom) and you want to measure the subwoofer alone then you connect only the left male RCA of your jack to RCA cable to the subwoofer.
Another matter is whether that subwoofer has 1 or 2 RCA inputs, and whether it would be better to use both or no problem to use 1.
If you have 2 active speakers and a subwoofer with 2 RCA inputs then for example you can split the left RCA (channel 1) to one of the active speakers and one of the subwoofer inputs, and split the right RCA (channel 2) to the other active speaker and the other subwoofer input.
Hope you get the idea now, it would be difficult for me to explain all possible variations.

If for example you want to create a PRIR with 2 virtual loudspeakers, using only one active loudspeaker and an active subwoofer: you first connect the active speaker and sub to output channel 1 as described earlier, select only speaker 1 in the speaker select menu, measure the speaker, (after that press "back" not "enter"!), then connect the active speaker and sub to output channel 2 (as described but using the right RCA from the jack to RCA cable), only select speaker 2 in the speaker select menu, measure again, now press "enter" not "back"! and the PRIR containing 2 virtual speakers is created.
Again I hope you get the idea, again I didn't mention all the details but a few important ones!

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #12,020 of 15,989
Some subwoofers have high pass outputs. In that case, you'd connect the A16 to the sub and the speaker to one of the outputs. If possible, you'd connect LFE out of the A16 to the LFE in of the subwoofer at the same time, ot get another active speaker to "emulate" full range L+R. If you use async signals, you can cross over and mix them to your heart's content, as well as play them back however you can (if at all possible, ensuring that the sum signal for each channel is linear or matches your house curve). I think you should be able to assemble a corssover with VSThost, virtual audio cable and a few plugins.

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #12,021 of 15,989
you want to measure the subwoofer alone then you connect only the left male RCA of your jack to RCA cable to the subwoofer.
Another matter is whether that subwoofer has 1 or 2 RCA inputs, and whether it would be better to use both or no problem to use 1.
That s my case atm, the sub has 2 RCA line level input with Left in and the other one called Right in ( LFE in)..So for Sub measurement only, the A16 minijack output should be split to L/R male RCA with the R male plugged in to the R input of the Sub right?

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #12,023 of 15,989
Oh my, I am seeing many many potential miscommunications...
Better take a few steps back and go forward one step at a time.
@Om ma Ni: are you just thinking about possibilities or do you actually have
-a specific subwoofer?
-a specific active speaker (or two)?

If possible, you'd connect LFE out of the A16 to the LFE in of the subwoofer at the same time, ot get another active speaker to "emulate" full range L+R.
Could you please elaborate?
BTW, does the A16 has LFE out?
In this context I assume that with "LFE out of the A16" @Eich1eeF means one of the 16 A16 line outputs (on 1 of the 8 mini jack outputs) to which SW has been assigned in the PRIR soundroom(?) (Often that would be output line 4, but it could be any output line number.)
Is that correct @Eich1eeF?

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #12,024 of 15,989
Oh my, I am seeing many many potential miscommunications...
Better take a few steps back and go forward one step at a time.
@Om ma Ni: are you just thinking about possibilities or do you actually have
-a specific subwoofer?
-a specific active speaker (or two)?
Sorry for my poor communication, I actually have 1 active speaker and planning to get a sub like the paradigm V12 or X12 but i need to make sure that i will be able to take measurement with the A16 directly connected to it etc..

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #12,026 of 15,989
I don’t think that your approach is practically viable. Prior to carrying out PRIR measurements, you need to integrate that subwoofer into your system, which is only one active speaker. I don't see how you could do that easily.

If you had two speakers and a subwoofer available, the situation would be much easier to deal with. You could use a device from minidsp.com to integrate the subwoofer with your loudspeakers. That means you can measure, equalize the subwoofer and set up the crossover.

Once you tick these steps, you can follow one of the various methods for PRIR measurements that were described here.
What I did with my 16 channel PRIR of my LS 50s +SVS SB2000 + miniDSP 2 x4 HD.

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #12,027 of 15,989
In this context I assume that with "LFE out of the A16" @Eich1eeF means one of the 16 A16 line outputs (on 1 of the 8 mini jack outputs) to which SW has been assigned in the PRIR soundroom(?) (Often that would be output line 4, but it could be any output line number.)
Is that correct @Eich1eeF?
Correct, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Jul 29, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #12,028 of 15,989
nswers some questions I actually sent James (that he did not respond to) when he gave me the info about the stands that they used at their demos.

I was assuming that it wouldn't be until November or December before things are back on track so to speak. This seems to confirm that's likely going to happen.

Also, this would make what, the third iteration of the A16 that will have been shipped? What happens if a unit needs to be repaired for an internal issue, do they just put in an entirely new board, or do you think they are trying to make boa

No updates on kickstarter and the comments don't show much hope for new shipments. Anyone hear any news from Smyth Research lately?

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #12,029 of 15,989
Honestly, for all those who can afford it, at this point I would suggest paying full price like I did. It's a lot of $ (I won't be buying any new gear for a long time), but it's still a bargain for what it does. If you do that, you should get one fast because they desperately need cash. If they go bankrupt, there won't be new units to buy at any price, and nothing else currently on the market does what the A16 does as well. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #12,030 of 15,989
Honestly, for all those who can afford it, at this point I would suggest paying full price like I did. It's a lot of $ (I won't be buying any new gear for a long time), but it's still a bargain for what it does. If you do that, you should get one fast because they desperately need cash. If they go bankrupt, there won't be new units to buy at any price. Just my two cents.
My gift to them was a $1600 5 year interest free loan.

That being said, if anyone is sitting on massive piles of cash, by all means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back