Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #11,416 of 15,987
Hi Friends, I am concerned about the atmos cinema captures I made: and I think they had potential to be amazing, but there is too much echo.

I used the analog outs of the A16 so I suspect that the background hum from the speakers caused the particularly echoey nature of the captures...

I wonder if Async would be better.

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #11,417 of 15,987
I used the analog outs of the A16 so I suspect that the background hum from the speakers caused the particularly echoey nature of the captures...
I am puzzled by this question. Do you mean that using the analog outputs of the A16 causes your speakers to hum? As if the analog outputs are very noisy? That would surprise me. I'd sooner expect you use too low sweep levels and/or have more environmental noise.
Or maybe it could be a matter of gain staging. If your settings are such that the sweep level is very low at the A16 outputs and the volume control on your amplifier or whatever you use is set very high then you can get increased noise levels. (All noise - if present - created somewhere before the volume control would increase with a higher setting of that volume control.)

By the way: did you try the Limit Reverb option?
(In your listening room(s), go into the "Manage Bass/Reverb/Tactile" menu,
switch on "Limit Rev.", try the minimal setting of 0.25s)

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #11,418 of 15,987
atmos cinema captures
Oh wait a minute, you mean from a real (big) cinema? That is a well known thing: many people have reported to dislike PRIRs from big cinema's and find them echoey.

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #11,420 of 15,987
Well, the cinema isn't terribly large. 70 by 75ft for 39 channels is fairly tiny!!

I'll try async for an improvement when there's another opportunity.. I think that the 'brrrruummmm' from the speakers might have influenced the capture.
I can't talk about technical issues, but in term of perception, it is indeed pretty common to feel like big rooms have too much reverb when we're sitting in a small one.
To deal with that in principle you can:
Shorten the reverb.
Give yourself time so your brain starts to adapt to the amount of reverb and reduce the amount you'll perceive. Something we naturally do in any room.
Close your eyes and imagine you're in that bigger room until it feels right, then keep your eyes closed. For movies that might be sort of a problem^_^.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #11,421 of 15,987
I am pretty sure they are all the same and it was just a decision by Smyth to add the "HDMI IN PCM Direct" option for one of the HDMI inputs only. This option is described in A16-firmware-1.90-26-May-2020.pdf. In fact it doesn't really add something to the input capabilities, it just let's PCM input skip the surround decoder board.
To save me trying ... do you happen to know whether outputting from a multichannel SACD in PCM to that particular input would suddenly enable the A16 to play the multichannel layer of the SACD?

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #11,422 of 15,987
Well, one of my main use cases for my A16 is a bust. I wanted to be able to watch streaming content with Atmos (a growing segment) and I use an AppleTV 4K as my primary streamer. But it converts Dolby Digital+ Atmos into Dolby MAT 2.0 (PCM plus Atmos extensions) and the A16 did not do anything with that.
FWIW I can watch AppleTV in Atmos through my XBox Series S. I think that's the only service that currently supports Atmos in my setup ... but they have precious little content so it hardly matters!

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #11,423 of 15,987
To save me trying ... do you happen to know whether outputting from a multichannel SACD in PCM to that particular input would suddenly enable the A16 to play the multichannel layer of the SACD?
As far as I know: if the SACD player can output it as multichannel PCM it should work on every [Edit: HDMI-] input of the A16. But I never did something with SACD.

(By the way, beware of the following:
The HDMI (4) PCM bypass mode will use the PCM room assigned in any preset. Raw HDMI PCM
channels assignments are non-standard in that the C and SW channels are swapped compared
to industry norms. Hence PCM rooms that will be used in this bypass mode must be built with
this in mind. The HDMI channel assignments covered in 2.0, 5.1, and 7.1 are shown below.
Ch SPKR
1 L
2 R
3 SW
4 C
5 Lss
6 Rss
7 Lb
8 RB
)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #11,424 of 15,987
As far as I know: if the SACD player can output it as multichannel PCM it should work on every [Edit: HDMI-] input of the A16
It does. This is what I do with my Oppo 103 and the few multichannel SACDs I have.
The Oppo can be set to convert DSD multichannel to PCM and sends out a normal 7.1 multichannel PCM signal (although I don't know sampling frequency and bit depth at the moment) which the A16 accepts at every HDMI in I suppose. I'm using HDMI 1 for example.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #11,425 of 15,987
Well, it's done. I have created 16 channels worth of PRIRs from my LS 50s + SB 2000 sub. I made 12 Prirs to do it. I did the height speakers one at a time by putting the speakers atop my dresser and sitting on the floor, while placing the set top either in the front or the rear of the room. Then I constructed the listening rooms (a 9.1.6 for Atmos, a 7.1.4t for DTS-X, and a 9.1.6t for PCM). From there I made two presets in user A, one utilizing for HPEQ for the HD800s, and the other the HPEQ for the LCD Xs. Tomorrow I will hook up the Chromecast Audio and the NVIDIA Shield. Doing this will allow me to completely divorce myself from the noisy PC and have two dead quiet sources for Movies and Music (Qobuz) respectively. I'll then put the thing in the rack hook it up to the TV, run SPDIF to my Khadas Tone Board/THX 789 Dac/Amp setup and see how everything looks and sounds. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #11,430 of 15,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back