Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 22, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #11,446 of 16,024
I haven't experienced this issue. Are you think your PRIRs are bad? Have you tried the same setup with the bbc room PRIRs?
Once again, I'm an idiot. In the Setting---Misc menu there is a setting for test tones. Smyth's last release says it's only active when listening to headphones over HDMI default input. Went there, switched it off around 4am and it works. PRIR sounded a little hollow and metallic, didn't use Head tracking. My next mission is to use the tools the Realiser supplies to see if it can be improved. In any case, it's a first attempt, and no one ever gets good at anything unless they start off awful at it. So I'm off to a great start. 😜

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #11,447 of 16,024
Once again, I'm an idiot. In the Setting---Misc menu there is a setting for test tones. Smyth's last release says it's only active when listening to headphones over HDMI default input. Went there, switched it off around 4am and it works. PRIR sounded a little hollow and metallic, didn't use Head tracking. My next mission is to use the tools the Realiser supplies to see if it can be improved. In any case, it's a first attempt, and no one ever gets good at anything unless they start off awful at it. So I'm off to a great start. 😜
Been there done that.. glad it's working for you though. This machine has quite the learning curve.. fortunately, once you get it right you never need to touch it again.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #11,448 of 16,024
Hi guys, I have not follow this thread in a while so I'd appreciate if you guys can tell me if those that preorders (I preordered in July 2017) that have not receive their A16 yet, does this mean the chance of us getting is pretty slim to nil? Emailing the Smyth for update is no use as I have done a few times already without a reply. Thank you!

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #11,450 of 16,024
Hi guys, I have not follow this thread in a while so I'd appreciate if you guys can tell me if those that preorders (I preordered in July 2017) that have not receive their A16 yet, does this mean the chance of us getting is pretty slim to nil? Emailing the Smyth for update is no use as I have done a few times already without a reply. Thank you!
The preorderers' chance of receiving their A16 is in my opinion entirely dependent on the Smyths' likelihood of keeping the company afloat. Given that it is not a publicly traded company, we can't really know how good or bad their finances really are. My personal guess is that they'll be able to sell more A16s as soon as they get a new shipment of components and DTS support is officially released, and that should keep them going for a while.

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #11,451 of 16,024
The preorderers' chance of receiving their A16 is in my opinion entirely dependent on the Smyths' likelihood of keeping the company afloat. Given that it is not a publicly traded company, we can't really know how good or bad their finances really are. My personal guess is that they'll be able to sell more A16s as soon as they get a new shipment of components and DTS support is officially released, and that should keep them going for a while.
thank you for the replies guys. So I take it no preorder has been delivered yet?

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #11,453 of 16,024
Well, all right! 😁😎😊.

My 16 Channel LS50 + SVS 2000 PRIR works, and sounds really good!!! Tried a coupla offerings on Netflix, two in Atmos one in 5.1 and the picture was spectacular sound was good to spectacular as well. When I used the HD 800 it had a metallic sound, but with the LCD-X it seemed to be in the Goldilocks zone. I will have to look at some kind of reverb control and/or doing some additional EQ with the HD 800, but I think I can figure it out. The soundstaging seemed to be there, and no question about this being a wide open "out of head" experience, and headtracking worked splendidly, but the cable is a true PIA. Understand a cordless headtracking unit on is on the "to do" list, and personally, I'd prefer to see that happen before DTS-X, b/c snagging that cord could create a real tripping hazard and prolly break something on the A16 as well.

The experience was definitely enhanced by my Subpac SB 20, and by the NVIDIA shield. I have no words for the video quality the Shield renders. It's just perfect. I could not be happier with it. The Subpac tactile subwoofer, once I got it properly set up, definitely added a great deal to the realism to the experience as well.

I think a better PRIR would sound even better, though this one is definitely on the right track. Next time I take one I'll concentrate much more fully on getting everything (especially the angles for the set top) just right. But for now I'm just going to enjoy this for a week or so, because it's so very enjoyable.

I also need to see about getting my Chromecast Audio to stream, or maybe I can even use my original AV Chromecast to stream audio into one of the HDMI inputs. I'll work something out. Just want to relieve my very noisy PC of as much home theater duty as possible.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #11,454 of 16,024
Well, all right! 😁😎😊.

My 16 Channel LS50 + SVS 2000 PRIR works, and sounds really good!!! Tried a coupla offerings on Netflix, two in Atmos one in 5.1 and the picture was spectacular sound was good to spectacular as well. When I used the HD 800 it had a metallic sound, but with the LCD-X it seemed to be in the Goldilocks zone. I will have to look at some kind of reverb control and/or doing some additional EQ with the HD 800, but I think I can figure it out. The soundstaging seemed to be there, and no question about this being a wide open "out of head" experience, and headtracking worked splendidly, but the cable is a true PIA. Understand a cordless headtracking unit on is on the "to do" list, and personally, I'd prefer to see that happen before DTS-X, b/c snagging that cord could create a real tripping hazard and prolly break something on the A16 as well.

The experience was definitely enhanced by my Subpac SB 20, and by the NVIDIA shield. I have no words for the video quality the Shield renders. It's just perfect. I could not be happier with it. The Subpac tactile subwoofer, once I got it properly set up, definitely added a great deal to the realism to the experience as well.

I think a better PRIR would sound even better, though this one is definitely on the right track. Next time I take one I'll concentrate much more fully on getting everything (especially the angles for the set top) just right. But for now I'm just going to enjoy this for a week or so, because it's so very enjoyable.

I also need to see about getting my Chromecast Audio to stream, or maybe I can even use my original AV Chromecast to stream audio into one of the HDMI inputs. I'll work something out. Just want to relieve my very noisy PC of as much home theater duty as possible.
Congratulation for this achievement, could you share with us your views and analyses regarding the comparison between your virtual LFE from PRIR and the real one from your SVS 2000 in term of sound or frequency accuracy ? Asking bc i found out that LFE management can be very tricky with the actual A16 firmware etc...

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #11,455 of 16,024
Congratulation for this achievement, could you share with us your views and analyses regarding the comparison between your virtual LFE from PRIR and the real one from your SVS 2000 in term of sound or frequency accuracy ? Asking bc i found out that LFE management can be very tricky with the actual A16 firmware etc...
Still working that through. I'm a complete novice regarding LFE management, so I don't know if my setting are giving me everything the Realiser has to offer in that regard, but I plan to find out. If anyone is an expert here on how to use those functions, I'd love suggestions. I did set my speakers to Large, I did use the sub on every speaker, and I did the sub as a separate speaker in a prir. I can tell you it goes deep with impact with either headphone, and the Subpac helps--a lot. The key on using the subpac is setting it so low you barely know it's there.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #11,456 of 16,024
Still working that through. I'm a complete novice regarding LFE management, so I don't know if my setting are giving me everything the Realiser has to offer in that regard, but I plan to find out. If anyone is an expert here on how to use those functions, I'd love suggestions. I did set my speakers to Large, I did use the sub on every speaker, and I did the sub as a separate speaker in a prir. I can tell you it goes deep with impact with either headphone, and the Subpac helps--a lot. The key on using the subpac is setting it so low you barely know it's there.
I'm no expert.. but in my experience... Including a subwoofer with each speaker's (EQd) PRIR measurement results in proper bass management. This allows the LFE channel to do what it does best. Especially if you're using a tactile out. The LFE audio and only the LFE audio gets sent to an external subwoofer or tactile transducer.

I am curious as to what you meant by:
I did set my speakers to Large
Unfortunately, setting the speakers to small or large via the Realiser has no impact on bass management in the current firmware

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #11,457 of 16,024
How is it going. No one has posted here since March 24th. Any news on whether Smyth is shipping product? Any updates from them? Has anyone found any studios, Hi Fi shops willing to be providers of systems for PRIRs? Any tips on how to perfect or improve anyone's existing PRIRs? Hope everyone hasn't given up on these guys. I've just ordered a pair of LS50 Metas from Crutchfield and they're due to arrive on Thursday, and I may have other opportunites beyond that to make PRIRs. Would be nice to know people are still out there.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #11,458 of 16,024
I've been busy... but...

At this point... I think I can share a screenshot of a soon to be released project... It should go live in a month or two.

IMG_20210406_211127.png

Through the website... I will be offering custom PRIRs to existing owners of the A16 Smyth Realiser. The PRIRs will be produced in a sound controlled recording studio with the enhancement of room correction software. These PRIRs will be available for download via the website.

The listening rooms available for purchase will be made up of the following speakers brands.
  • Dutch and Dutch
  • Bowers & Wilkins
  • Genelec
  • Paradigm
  • JBL
  • KEF
  • Klipsch
  • Elac
  • Focal
  • Yamaha
  • Buchardt
In addition... for those looking for the best possible sound experience from their A16... In person, recording studio PRIRs will also be made available through the website. (The recording studio is located 20 minutes from the Newark airport in New Jersey)

I've been working on this project for some time... I'm keeping the really cool features of the website a secret... for it's release date.

It's going to be exciting!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #11,459 of 16,024
I've been busy... but...

At this point... I think I can share a screenshot of a soon to be released project... It should go live in a month or two.

IMG_20210406_211127.png

Through the website... I will be offering custom PRIRs to existing owners of the A16 Smyth Realiser. The PRIRs will be produced in a sound controlled recording studio with the enhancement of room correction software.

The listening rooms available for purchase will be made up of the following speakers brands.
  • Dutch and Dutch
  • Bowers & Wilkins
  • Genelec
  • Paradigm
  • JBL
  • KEF
  • Klipsch
  • Elac
  • Focal
  • Yamaha
  • Buchardt
In addition... for those looking for the best possible sound experience from their A16... In person, recording studio PRIRs will also be made available through the website. (The recording studio is located 20 minutes from the Newark airport in New Jersey)

I've been working on this project for some time... I'm keeping the really cool features of the website a secret... for it's release date.

It's going to be exciting!
Where are these guys located?

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #11,460 of 16,024

Users who are viewing this thread

Back