Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #11,461 of 16,083
Never mind. I saw. Your project?
Correct... I am doing all of the PRIR measurements in a small recording studio just outside of Newark NJ. It's a great studio space... Perfect for near field captures. My goal was to use a space just large enough to achieve a multi-channel, single listener experience and just small enough (with the help of room correction) to eliminate the sound of the room.

*The room's size does allow for a complete Dolby Atmos experience... without compromising on any of speaker location specs that Dolby requires.

** The recording studio space I rent is just a professionally designed and treated sound room. I must bring all the gear necessary to create the PRIRs for the A16. It's a labor of love.

The results a really quite good.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #11,462 of 16,083
Correct... I am doing all of the PRIR measurements in a small recording studio just outside of Newark NJ. It's a great studio space... Perfect for near field captures. My goal was to use a space just large enough to achieve a multi-channel, single listener experience and just small enough (with the help of room correction) to eliminate the sound of the room.

*The room's size does allow for a complete Dolby Atmos experience... without compromising on any of speaker location specs that Dolby requires.

** The recording studio space I rent is just a professionally designed and treated sound room. I must bring all the gear necessary to create the PRIRs for the A16. It's a labor of love.

Since you have to bring in all of the equipment does that mean that the customer has to select which speaker system(s) they want to have made available before going in? Sounds like a lot of options to choose from. Also, are you talking Atmos 5.1.2 or 7.1.4(just as examples)?

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #11,463 of 16,083

If I had my A16 I'd be all over this.

Has anyone had the chance to try the A16's feature of combining your own measurement with a third party one?

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #11,464 of 16,083
Since you have to bring in all of the equipment does that mean that the customer has to select which speaker system(s) they want to have made available before going in? Sounds like a lot of options to choose from. Also, are you talking Atmos 5.1.2 or 7.1.4(just as examples)?
Hello @esimms86 Thanks for the question.

Let me clarify... The list of speaker brands I mentioned earlier will be used to create a set of "universal" PRIRs which will be available for purchase via the website. These PRIR files will be downloadable and ready for use by the A16 owner who does not have access to loudpeakers, space or time to take their own measurements, or access to a recording studio, etc.

That being said... the speaker brands in the list may not necessarily be the same speakers used for "in person" PRIR measurements. These details are still being worked out.

I can tell you for certain...that "universal" and "in person" Dolby Atmos PRIRs will be available in at least 16 channels (9.1.6).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #11,465 of 16,083

Let me clarify... The list of speaker brands I mentioned earlier will be used to create a set of "universal" PRIRs which will be available for purchase via the website. These PRIR files will be downloadable and ready for use by the A16 owner who does not have access to loudpeakers, space or time to take their own measurements, or access to a recording studio, etc.

That being said... the speaker brands in the list may not necessarily be the same speakers used for "in person" PRIR measurements. These details are still being worked out.

I can tell you for certain...that "universal" and "in person" Dolby Atmos PRIRs will be available in at least 16 channels (9.1.6).

Hope this helps.
Are you using a dummy head, or are these the PRIR measurements for your own ears? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #11,467 of 16,083

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Can a potential customer try out a "universal" PRIR sample before buying, kind of like Darin Fong has set up with his Out Of Your Head program?

Apr 8, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #11,468 of 16,083
Thanks. Can a potential customer try out a "universal" PRIR sample before buying, kind of like Darin Fong has set up with his Out Of Your Head program?
Absolutely! For this type of technology, try before you buy is a must. There will be Dolby Atmos Demos for each of the available speaker brands...

* There will also be a few other features that will be very helpful to customers... But those will remain a secret for now.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #11,469 of 16,083
Although I am still one of the many waiting for my A16, being able to download and try a demo before full purchase to see what is the most suitable PRIR is a game changer. As time passes the A16 gets more complicated with every post I read. I always hoped that the whole process could be simplified so I congratulate you Litlgi74 in setting up PRIR's and hopefully making many users setup of the A16 a whole lot easier.

Apr 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #11,470 of 16,083

Hope this helps.
Just to be clear, I could get something like an in person PRIR of, say, D & D 8cs if I arrange it? If so, pls PM me and let me know what the tarrif would be.

Apr 9, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #11,471 of 16,083
Just to be clear, I could get something like an in person PRIR of, say, D & D 8cs if I arrange it? If so, pls PM me and let me know what the tarrif would be.
PMd...

@phoenixdogfan is not the only person to ask this... At this time... the speaker brands in the list may not necessarily be the same speakers used for "in person" PRIR measurements. These details are still being worked out.

This is a passion project for me... I am very excited for what is to come... That being said, I prefer to be honest an up front in all things. I don't want to promise what I can't deliver.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #11,474 of 16,083
Maybe you should start a topic and post updates there, so we can follow your progress.
As soon as I get a privacy policy in place for the website... I'll start a new topic.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #11,475 of 16,083

Users who are viewing this thread

Back