Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 26, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #10,667 of 15,986
Hm, good points, I am willing to go through the process of properly setting it up :)

The Smyth has a playlist for setting it up and using it as well, so I'm going to rely on that too when configuring - I was curious to explore what most people have been doing with them, it is part of the review :)

I assume I'm somewhat tech savy since I went through the process of building a PC, setting up a website, youtube, video editing, and more, so I like to think I'll be able to handle the A16 like everything else I handled on Audiophile-Heaven :)

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #10,668 of 15,986
My measurements with Realiser A16 were quite exhausting. I only managed to capture PRIRs the ear level. I got tangled in cables and at one point the HT guided method didn't work anymore. I wanted that both Ls, Rs and Lss, Rss to be measured at the same angles, minus / plus 110 degrees. That approach required more measurements than in @audiohobbit method. I will resume the measurements when I can have someone available to sit closer to the A16 and carry out the required settings without me having to get up from the listening position.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #10,669 of 15,986
My measurements with Realiser A16 were quite exhausting. I only managed to capture PRIRs the ear level. I got tangled in cables and at one point the HT guided method didn't work anymore. I wanted that both Ls, Rs and Lss, Rss to be measured at the same angles, minus / plus 110 degrees. That approach required more measurements than in @audiohobbit method. I will resume the measurements when I can have someone available to sit closer to the A16 and carry out the required settings without me having to get up from the listening position.
Don't give up... It really is worth it.

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #10,670 of 15,986

Someone on this forum (can’t remember who) recommended to setup a video chat between two phones (or iPads or similar) with one camera pointed on the A16 screen, and the receiving device in your hand. I did this when I did my lates PRIR with great results. I could just hold the phone up and navigate the menus with the remote. I think its quite important not to move around so that the microphones don’t shift and or move inside your ear.

Is there anyone that have utilised the IP control functionality, to make a PRIR? Is all the necessary information to do a PRIR available in the app? I haven’t had time to figure that out yet...

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #10,671 of 15,986
I'm really surprised that Smyth is sending the A-16 out for reviews. I like my A-16, but if they get some mixed or bad reviews, they kind of deserve it. Atmos does not work from the Apple TV at all. Many users have complained about no Atmos from other devices. USB connections to Macs don't seem to work properly with multi-channel. Still not DTS. Many promised features incomplete or missing. A manual that is badly out of date. Very complex process for creating measurements. My A-16 hangs on startup sometimes. It also stops playing the center channel sometimes. I get loud pops when navigating menus on my Apple TV. I could go on and on.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #10,672 of 15,986
I'm really surprised that Smyth is sending the A-16 out for reviews.
I am not sure they do. The guy in the youtube video didn't get it from Smyth but from a kickstarter backer (he mentions that the guy he got it from payed only a quarter of the normal $4000 price so it must be a kickstarter backer).
I don't know where @Dobrescu George got it from(?).

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #10,673 of 15,986
Has anyone been using it as a DAC for a desktop setup?
Not really an answer to your queston but a remark regarding desktop use:
Please beware that it may sound odd to listen to the A16 using a PRIR measured in a big room with speakers far away, while sitting at a desk with a screen close in front of you. Even more when your desk is close to the wall in front of you.
This mismatch between what you see and what you hear can also cause the virtual speakers to sound as if they are close to you. (Because your brain will try to link what you hear with what you see. That would happen especially if you are listening to the sound of a movie or concert that you watch on the screen close to you.)
So to give the A16 a chance to shine you should definitely (also) try it in a situation where you have a reasonable amount of space around you, or at least in the front (in your eyesight), and (in case of watching a movie or concert) a relatively large screen at some distance, ideally the same distance as the front speakers during the PRIR measurement.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #10,674 of 15,986
The guy in the youtube video didn't get it from Smyth but from a kickstarter backer (he mentions that the guy he got it from payed only a quarter of the normal $4000 price so it must be a kickstarter backer).
The serial number is : A16HS2001#0000.. and then a 2 digits number below 50.
James said : ...Realisers incorporating the new HSR41T/APM110 hardware will use the serial number format A16HS2001#xxxxxx.
Meaning that it is a 24ch. version.

Oct 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #10,675 of 15,986
Realisers incorporating the new HSR41T/APM110 hardware will use the serial number format A16HS2001#xxxxxx.
Meaning that it is a 24ch. version
I can confirm... Excellent info for those looking to buy second hand.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #10,676 of 15,986
Well HOLY CRAP!!!!

I just converted (DTSHD MA 5.1 to FLAC 5.1) one of my go-to tracks from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, film score: Days of the Ring.

RoonShareImage-637393172910501520.png

This is one of those tracks that will give you "Goose Bump". Annie Lennox's vocal sends chills through my body every time I hear it! It's great in two-channel... It's PHENOMENAL in 5.1 multi-channel!!!

It must be heard! Demo Here.

Music like this is precisely why I needed to own the A16!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #10,677 of 15,986
My email was sent at 16:37 and I received an answer at 17:31
The answer is :
...unfortunately the buzzing noise can only be repaired here in our office. The board needs re-soldered. So please return the unit only, no cables...
Ludivic-dlt from HCFR forum received the following message from James pertaining to the same kind of "buzz" problem :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180441848.html#p180441848
...We believe this is a firmware issue, not a hardware issue. We have another customer with the same issue and we have asked him to return his device to resolve the issue.
For now, I would ask you to keep your unit until we resolve this issue. We strongly believe this is a firmware issue.
In the meantime, you revert to the old firmware.
I will contact you as soon as we have a response on this matter...

I surmise that the other customer is "yours truly" and I hope that it is only a software problem for anyone's sake. In the meantime my A16 has been picked up Monday afternoon
and I hope to see "my precious" (remember Gollum in the Lord of the Rings) before year's end ! :wink:

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #10,678 of 15,986
Ludivic-dlt from HCFR forum received the following message from James pertaining to the same kind of "buzz" problem :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post180441848.html#p180441848
...We believe this is a firmware issue, not a hardware issue. We have another customer with the same issue and we have asked him to return his device to resolve the issue.
For now, I would ask you to keep your unit until we resolve this issue. We strongly believe this is a firmware issue.
In the meantime, you revert to the old firmware.
I will contact you as soon as we have a response on this matter...

I surmise that the other customer is "yours truly" and I hope that it is only a software problem for anyone's sake. In the meantime my A16 has been picked up Monday afternoon
and I hope to see "my precious" (remember Gollum in the Lord of the Rings) before year's end ! :wink:
How much did it cost you to send your unit back ? Did you go through DHL ?

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #10,679 of 15,986
How much did it cost you to send your unit back ? Did you go through DHL ?
The cost was fairly decent : shipping costs EUR 16,40 (Belgian post office) + pick-up costs this Monday EUR 7,93 = EUR 24,33.
I never use DHL or other companies because until now I am happy with the Belgian Post who of course like many others subcontracts delivery outside Belgium. Just like DHL Germany subcontracts to the Belgian Post when delivering to Belgium.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #10,680 of 15,986
Mark “Dr. AIX” Waldrep, the founder of AIX Records and a long-standing A8 user who has a successful live Kickstarter campaign running right now on a new book on streaming, downloaded music and personal audio has just commented in there that he will be covering HTRF technology and Smyth Research’s efforts in the area in his new book. More importantly he mentioned his studio is/was one of the best places to get a measurement in which I don’t doubt based on the sound quality of his label’s recordings. Not sure whether he offers the measurement service or not but those A8, A16 owners near LA may want to ask him perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back