Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #9,721 of 15,986
Stalling is the term Stephen used. It means simply that the unit freezes completely. I think you will recognize this easily if this happens....
I could not really report a sluggish behaviour of my unit, just the freezing. It usually happened when I browsed throgh the menu and tried to enter sub-menu or a sub-sub-menu, in the Settings menu for example. I remember going to Settings-System and then want to to go to a sub menu, push enter and that was it, unit freezes completely. Only turning off and on again helps, but if I tried to go to the same menu again unit freezes again.
If you stumble over this you'll easily recognize it...
Only reinstalling of FW helped. But it still can happen again and it was random, I could not say that i did specific things that led to this stalling/freezing.

The other things I encounter regularly is that my presets lose their settings. Not the loaded active preset, but if you set something in preset 1 for example load a specific HPEQ or set the audio delay to xx ms and then reload the preset. If I go back to the preset settings page suddenly there is a different entry for HPEQ (or even PRIRs) or the audio delay is reset to 0 again (or the upmixer) etc. So if you just want to change something and don't check all the other settings and reload this preset you could end up with a wrong HPEQ or even wrong PRIR etc.

AFAIK for a long time I was the only one that reported this behaviour here (and to Stephen) but a few pages ago someone else reported this also.
And he (hm who was it?) also reported the white splash screen after startup from time to time which I also sometimes have.
I don't know if all this is also related to the internal SD card. I really hope though because it's annoying, I always have to check and cross check all my settings in the presets if they reloaded correctly...

Initially I thought my sudden volume drops I encountered are also related to this, but this has now been explained with the clipping protection.

The last errors I had, and someone else also, that there was no sound from the headphones, just after switching presets back and forth then it came on (not always). I hope that this is related to the experimental Atmos decoder. Also the buzz I once had and the ugly white noise on all channels...

I’ve experienced the issue with the A16 locking up when trying to go into sub menus, but that was a few firmware versions ago and lucky hasn’t seemed to happen since. The other issue I’ve run into that you described is presets losing settings. But it my case what it’s doing is losing the specific EQ in my HPEQ that I want to use.For the preset with my PRIR I have a manLOUD EQ that I made from the autoEQ. It’s the one that I always want to use instead of the flatEQ or autoEQ in the file. Often though when I Los that preset it doesn’t use the manLOUD EQ, butit picks the autoEQ or FlatEQ from the file.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #9,722 of 15,986
So all these bugs might be related with the old micro SD cards?
Well I don't know, Stephen only refers to stalling and sluggis behaviour. I really hope that the other problems are also related to that.
I mean, presets losing settings sounds to me like it's related to the internal memory.
So fingers crossed...
but it may take a few weeks. At first I'll install the new FW, then I see if problems still exist, then I make the log-file and send it to Stephen.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #9,723 of 15,986
I’ve experienced the issue with the A16 locking up when trying to go into sub menus, but that was a few firmware versions ago and lucky hasn’t seemed to happen since. The other issue I’ve run into that you described is presets losing settings. But it my case what it’s doing is losing the specific EQ in my HPEQ that I want to use.For the preset with my PRIR I have a manLOUD EQ that I made from the autoEQ. It’s the one that I always want to use instead of the flatEQ or autoEQ in the file. Often though when I Los that preset it doesn’t use the manLOUD EQ, butit picks the autoEQ or FlatEQ from the file.
Well I think picking the wrong EQ from HPEQ could also happen. I can't remember if that happened to me also, maybe.
My first stalling was in Dec. last year with an earlier FW, and then again few weeks ago with the newer FW, so it seems not be FW-related.

With one manLOUD I created recently I also encountered some oddities. I wanted to directly compare the sound of the flat vs. the manLOUD EQ, using the AB comparison tool. So I loaded the same PRIRs for user A and user B, and the manLOUD EQ of the HPEQ to user A and the flat (or auto, tried both) EQ of the same HPEQ to user B.
And there was no difference. So one of the EQs didn't load correctly. I still can't tell which one.

I created a completely new flat HPEQ and made a new manLOUD based on this and tried the same and this worked, there was definitely a difference and the difference seemed correct.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #9,725 of 15,986
Awesome news for me !! I just got the so-long-expected email from James " Your A16 is ready to be shipped " 🎉 :grin:
Shipping KS units is back on !
I got the same email today my KS #204

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #9,727 of 15,986
Well I think picking the wrong EQ from HPEQ could also happen. I can't remember if that happened to me also, maybe.
My first stalling was in Dec. last year with an earlier FW, and then again few weeks ago with the newer FW, so it seems not be FW-related.

With one manLOUD I created recently I also encountered some oddities. I wanted to directly compare the sound of the flat vs. the manLOUD EQ, using the AB comparison tool. So I loaded the same PRIRs for user A and user B, and the manLOUD EQ of the HPEQ to user A and the flat (or auto, tried both) EQ of the same HPEQ to user B.
And there was no difference. So one of the EQs didn't load correctly. I still can't tell which one.

I created a completely new flat HPEQ and made a new manLOUD based on this and tried the same and this worked, there was definitely a difference and the difference seemed correct.

I was thinking that maybe I should try starting from scratch with the HPEQ and see if that fixes the issue. I haven’t updated to 1.98 yet, but was planning on doing so tonight so I’ll probably go through the HPEQ procedure again and see if I can get things sorted out.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #9,729 of 15,986
well the Amazon delivery guy came by this morning and left on the door step my order of the Beatles " Abby Road " in Atmos, you just have to love over night shipping :)

They did a great job on the Atmos conversion, its one of those albums that sends chills down your back...

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #9,730 of 15,986
AFAIK for a long time I was the only one that reported this behaviour here (and to Stephen) but a few pages ago someone else reported this also.
And he (hm who was it?) also reported the white splash screen after startup from time to time which I also sometimes have.

That was me.

I noticed it getting less responsive over a few days, until it froze completely, and required reinstalling the firmware. I've had it happen twice, and I have no idea if anything in particular triggered the behaviour.

Losing the preset settings has happened many times, and I think it is when I go to make a change in the listening room settings, but I haven't been minded to actually test that theory.

The white screen happens frequently, but simply requires switching off/on to clear, so it doesn't really bother me.

I also had one other weird problem, that happened just once. When attempting to make a PRIR using the moving a pair of speakers method, I found the unit did not respond to the remote 'back' instruction, meaning that I couldn't save more than the one pair. Upon a second press of the back button the menu the jumped two levels, losing the PRIR altogether. Luckily this behaviour disappeared after a fresh startup.

Mine is one of the early units (#37?) and I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #9,731 of 15,986
Did you report this to Smyth?*
I think you may get a new internal SD card as well.

*) because someone on the last page asked for correct english: That's also always my problem... Is did you or have you correct in this case?
But basically I gave up, because I think (or I hope) that people still understand what I mean?

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #9,732 of 15,986
Both are correct but used differently depending on situation.
"Did you" is a more a direct harsh tone "Did you wash your hands?"
"Have you" is a more a polite softer tone when asking the question "Have you washed your hands?"
So in writing something down, if you are angry use "Did you" or polite use "Have you" to the person receiving the message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back