Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #9,751 of 16,040
At present, my setup consists of Topping D90 DAC (non-MQA version) connected to the Topping A90 headphone amplifier via XLR cables. When I get my Realiser A16, I’m going to include it in the setup by linking one SPDIF output to the COAX input of D90 via coax cable.
will be interesting to compare A16 connected directly to A90 with A16 to D90 to A90..

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #9,752 of 16,040
My head tracker doesn't come on with the system, have to restart system to get it working. Has anyone seen anything like this? Also white screen is becoming frequent.

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #9,753 of 16,040
My head tracker doesn't come on with the system, have to restart system to get it working. Has anyone seen anything like this? Also white screen is becoming frequent.
Head tracker needs some minutes to startup, it's waiting for stable temperature until gyroscope & magnetic modes start to work, optical stabilization works to some degree but it's wiser to wait until the led on head tracker turns green before using it.

I have noticed that if you're too fast on the power cycle you can get white screen more easily, so try to wait some seconds before switching it back on.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #9,754 of 16,040
Head tracker needs some minutes to startup, it's waiting for stable temperature until gyroscope & magnetic modes start to work, optical stabilization works to some degree but it's wiser to wait until the led on head tracker turns green before using it.

I have noticed that if you're too fast on the power cycle you can get white screen more easily, so try to wait some seconds before switching it back on.

Thanks for the response Grue, the problem is the head tracker red light is not blinking and static, it blinks only on the restart. It used to blink and turn green normally earlier, now I have to restart it.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #9,755 of 16,040
Thanks for the response Grue, the problem is the head tracker red light is not blinking and static, it blinks only on the restart. It used to blink and turn green normally earlier, now I have to restart it.

Ok, it sounds like you need to do the thermal calibration process. I have had to do that two times already. So, but your head tracker into freezer for 20-30minutes, then plug in head tracker cable and start realiser up. If the head tracker temperature is below +5c, it starts the heat calibrating process, and it will takes around 30minutes to complete.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #9,756 of 16,040
Hi Grue, directly in the freezer? or in a polythene wrap or something, there won't be moisture condensation?

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #9,757 of 16,040
Hi Grue, directly in the freezer? or in a polythene wrap or something, there won't be moisture condensation?

I think you don't have to worry about that, I got the instructions from James Smyth himself :)

edit: ok, he said that refrigerator, but I used freezer so I didn't have to wait so long :)

Instructions I got from James:

Calibrating Head Tracker Temperature
Step 1) Unplug the head tracker and place in a refrigerator for 45 minutes. This ensures the starting temperature of the head tracker is below 8 degrees Celsius.
Step 2) Have the A16 powered up and situated in a room at normal room temperature (18-35 degrees Celsius) and have both user A and user B presets running.
Step 3) Remove the head tracker from the refrigerator and immediately connect the head tracker to the HT jack input of User A and place the head tracker on a solid surface and ensure it does not move or suffer vibration during the calibration period. Ten seconds following power up, the LED atop the HT will turn red.
Step 4) The head tracker will now slowly warm up, taking temperature readings every second (blinking LED). Once the head tracker has reached room temperature the LED will turn green indicating that the calibration is complete. The entire process may take up to 25 minutes.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #9,758 of 16,040
You should also check if the HT Firmware is up to date. Since your unit is very new I'm sure it will be, but checking doesn't hurt.
Unfortunately I noticed that the FW-Update with the HT Update seems not to be online anymore on the Smyth page.
I have them all at home so I need to look it up when at home.
After updating my two head tops I never had a problem so far with them. Before the update the issue was that suddenly the soundstage could start to rotate wildly because the headtracker angle didn't remain stable. So I had to put the headtop in the fridge and after the procedure (as described above) it worked for a while but could again someday suddenly start to rotate.
But afte the update no problem so far.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #9,759 of 16,040
@audiohobbit , I did the headtracker update this week using the latest firmware file I recall. I did look at the corresponding release notes though, I will pm you a link.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #9,760 of 16,040
@audiohobbit , actually, the latest HT update is documented in 1.80 release notes available from the website, I just used the current 1.98 firmware to perform the HT driver update this week and it went fine...

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #9,763 of 16,040
FYI, I emailed my customs repayment claim application to the NRDC in the UK on July 31st and I just now snail mailed my bank information to them. The reason for the latter is that, for some reason, the subsequent emails I sent them kept getting bounced to me. Anyway, I'm at least a couple of weeks behind @Got the Shakes in this process. Will let folks know down the line how my experience works out.

For those who are scratching their heads over this post, it's in regard to a customs charge that I had to pay to ship my A16 back to the UK for the hardware upgrades(the ones that are now coming shipped out to Kickstarter backers at no extra charge!).

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #9,764 of 16,040
If I'm not mistaken, @dsperber uses an SR009. I'd suggest you shoot him a PM.
I was ahead of you! I already PM'd him my HPEQ. Of course it's for my ears not his, but he asked for it.

I was completely overwhelmed reading the 1.98 documentation, and everything regarding "reference level" calibration, etc..

I still have original non-updated 16-channel A16 hardware, but I suppose I really should update my firmware (it's still at 1.80). I'll just have to go slow, pay attention to all the text and pictures, and follow all the instructions precisely. If there is listening benefit, then I'll do whatever is required.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #9,765 of 16,040
FYI, I emailed my customs repayment claim application to the NRDC in the UK on July 31st and I just now snail mailed my bank information to them. The reason for the latter is that, for some reason, the subsequent emails I sent them kept getting bounced to me. Anyway, I'm at least a couple of weeks behind @Got the Shakes in this process. Will let folks know down the line how my experience works out.

For those who are scratching their heads over this post, it's in regard to a customs charge that I had to pay to ship my A16 back to the UK for the hardware upgrades(the ones that are now coming shipped out to Kickstarter backers at no extra charge!).

I did email banking over to them and the email went through, but I haven’t received a response to any follow up email or a decision on my claim. Hoping I hear something soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back