Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 5, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #9,737 of 16,040
@Dixter

I’ve read your post (#1,257) in Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review at audiosciencereview and I’m wondering why you use “Smyth A16 Realiser stack with the Topping D90 MQA feeding the A16 and the A16 feeding the Topping A90 Amp”.

The alternative might be to connect the SPDIF outputs (A or B) of A16 to the COAX input of D90 via coax cable and then connection to the Topping A90 Amp via XLR cables. As part of your approach, there is a digital/analogue conversion inside Topping D90 and then analogue/digital and digital/analogue conversions inside A16. All these conversions are not lossless. I think that feeding the binauralised output of A16 to Topping D90 might be a better solution.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #9,738 of 16,040
@Dixter

I’ve read your post (#1,257) in Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review at audiosciencereview and I’m wondering why you use “Smyth A16 Realiser stack with the Topping D90 MQA feeding the A16 and the A16 feeding the Topping A90 Amp”.

The alternative might be to connect the SPDIF outputs (A or B) of A16 to the COAX input of D90 via coax cable and then connection to the Topping A90 Amp via XLR cables. As part of your approach, there is a digital/analogue conversion inside Topping D90 and then analogue/digital and digital/analogue conversions inside A16. All these conversions are not lossless. I think that feeding the binauralised output of A16 to Topping D90 might be a better solution.
Yes, this way is way more simple and also let the A16 working as a DAC...any advice for a good XLR cable brand or model for neutrality and precision btw?

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #9,739 of 16,040
To avoid any confusion, the 2-ch binaural signal of Realiser A16 via the SPDIF outputs is diverted prior to sending it to the internal DAC. In other words, A16 doesn’t work as a DAC. With respect to good XLR cable brand or model for neutrality and precision, I think those cables shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #9,740 of 16,040
@Dixter

Hey George... well actually the way it happened was by happen chance... My original plan was to just get the A90 amp and take the A16 output and put it thru the A90 in order to get more power/balanced out interface for my head phones... I chose the A90 because of how clean and powerful the A90 is... its a great amp...and it performed that function perfectly well... initially for my test setup I was just using the M11Pro feeding the A16 via the stereo input with 3.5mm/RCA... and that proved out the value of the A90 for me ... then I read about the D90 DAC and felt like the D90/A90 stack would be a nice addition... I don't own any SPDIF cables at this time so, without any other cables besides a couple of RCA and XLR cables laying around here I just plugged it all in.. the setup actually started out with the A8 Realiser because my A16 was out of country being modified to the 24 ch hardware... The A8 because of its HDMI being older standards will most likely become the " Music " stack instead of the A16 that has the proper hardware for HDMI ATMOS... I will be using the THX AAA™ 789 Amp and a custom Woo Tube Amp for that A8 setup. I'm still working thru the details... One of the issues with the A16 or A8 is that they can be plug and play but they can't be optimized plug and play... you have to complete the headphone setups before it starts to perform correctly and depending on how many headphones you have it can take a fare amount of time... and it seems to be best if you complete those routines a few times until you get the results your after... it does take a little bit of practice to get it right.. its much easier to just set it all up on the kitchen counter while getting it tuned in... need to get some SPDIF cables and check it out... thanks

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #9,741 of 16,040
GUI A16 Input switcher for PC using IP command server:
https://pastebin.com/vpRCHJan

Script is made with AutoIT
https://www.autoitscript.com/site/

1596644296216.png

It is straightforward, and I made it for myself. It opens GUI with three buttons: HDMI1, HDMI2, and USB, and it switches the input of the Realiser accordingly.

I wanted to share it as its very useful to me, maybe for some of you too :)

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #9,742 of 16,040
... My original plan was to just get the A90 amp and take the A16 output and put it thru the A90 in order to get more power/balanced out interface for my head phones... I chose the A90 because of how clean and powerful the A90 is... its a great amp...and it performed that function perfectly well...
Thanks for clarification. I’ve got Topping D90 DAC (non-MQA version) firstly and then purchased Topping A90 headphone amplifier. For me, this combination has been the endgame. I look forward to listening at this setup in conjunction with the Realiser A16.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #9,745 of 16,040
Aug 5, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #9,746 of 16,040
copy/paste from the Kickstarter site... we are back on track again... :)

Pascal Bouzélocabout 23 hours ago
#203 - James emailed me today to let me know that my unit is ready for shipping, asking me to confirm my address and the model i ordered (headstand or 2U, wether i ordered a second head-tracker)

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #9,747 of 16,040
copy/paste from the Kickstarter site... we are back on track again... :)

Pascal Bouzélocabout 23 hours ago
#203 - James emailed me today to let me know that my unit is ready for shipping, asking me to confirm my address and the model i ordered (headstand or 2U, wether i ordered a second head-tracker)
That’s me... I wrote there also to inform those who don’t come on this topic. I haven’t received the tracking number yet, though.
Anyway, I’m out of town till the end of the week so if I received it on Monday, that would be great...

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #9,748 of 16,040
Thanks for clarification. I’ve got Topping D90 DAC (non-MQA version) firstly and then purchased Topping A90 headphone amplifier. For me, this combination has been the endgame. I look forward to listening at this setup in conjunction with the Realiser A16.
So are you going to connect the A16 to the D90 first or directly to the A90?

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #9,750 of 16,040
So are you going to connect the A16 to the D90 first or directly to the A90?
At present, my setup consists of Topping D90 DAC (non-MQA version) connected to the Topping A90 headphone amplifier via XLR cables. When I get my Realiser A16, I’m going to include it in the setup by linking one SPDIF output to the COAX input of D90 via coax cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back