Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #9,586 of 15,986
If your Windows 10 is Atmos-enabled, Netflix will show the atmos symbol in the info page.
1595311693132.png

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #9,587 of 15,986
I think that a Dolby Atmos capable device is able to decode metadata that are embedded in Dolby True HD and DD+ audio signals so that the system renders audio objects in real-time such that each sound is coming from its designated spot with respect to the setup of speakers in a room. That capability also involves a Dolby Atmos licence.
Does that mean older PCs like mine are a "no go"?

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #9,588 of 15,986
Speaking of Atmos capable devices, are all windows 10 boxes Atmos capable? I have a fourth generaton I7 Hp Envy (4720HQ procesor), 16 gigs of DDR4 memory, a 256gb solid state Samsung EVO drive and the highest Tier Netflix Desktop app, as well as the Windows Dolby Access app. Is this all I will need, or is there another hoop to jump through. (Like a later generation processor, for example)?

That sounds like quite the PC. The Netflix windows app certainly supports atmos, but I think the bottleneck is the HDMI output. My older PC only goes up to 7.1 audio, and since I have the shield TV that's where my research stopped. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #9,589 of 15,986
If your Windows 10 is Atmos-enabled, Netflix will show the atmos symbol in the info page.1595311693132.png
Well that's encouraging b/c I see that on any number of films I see when I browse Netflix with my Windows desktop app.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #9,590 of 15,986
That sounds like quite the PC. The Netflix windows app certainly supports atmos, but I think the bottleneck is the HDMI output. My older PC only goes up to 7.1 audio, and since I have the shield TV that's where my research stopped. Sorry I can't help any more than that.
Yes, it is wicked fast.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #9,592 of 15,986
Each time you turn the realiser on, you may need to set windows back to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, as it defaults to stereo.
1595315576168.png

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #9,593 of 15,986
Is my PC gonna use the Windows Volume mixer? No way to use Asio?

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #9,595 of 15,986
Height 2 (15.1.8) 0 (9.1.6) 4 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Overhead 4 (15.1.8) 6 (9.1.6) 4 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Ground 2 (15.1.8) 0 (9.1.6) 0 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

SW 1 (15.1.8) 1 (9.1.6) 1 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Ear level 15 (15.1.8) 9 (9.1.6) 11 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Is this 15.1.8 ideal "as is" or is there a better configuration for action movies, such as adding SW2 for example or anything else for that matter?
Or is the question irrelevant?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #9,596 of 15,986
I always thought that the source doesn't need to know or do anything about Atmos, but only has to be able to bitstream Dolby True HD (or DD+)?
At least with Dolby True HD (never tried DD+) my ancient Mede8er from a time before there was any Atmos worked fine delivering Atmos.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #9,597 of 15,986
Windows 10 gaming with multichannel audio seems to be troublesome, while I get 7.1 sound out of my PS4 (when switched to PCM audio out) mostly I can get just stereo audio for games on Windows. I'm using HDMI out for games like for Netflix where Dolby Atmos works just like it should, on some content it renders to all 24ch.

Gaming seems to be a totally different thing. I have tried numerous games which does have multichannel audio, but just stereo-out with Realiser. The only game I have managed to get multichannel audio is Forza Horizon 4, which claims to support Dolby Atmos, I can get 7.1.4 there, but Realiser reports it as normal PCM, it doesn't indicate that it is receiving Atmos stream.

I have been thinking while almost all the windows games I tried are using xaudio2 framework for game audio, maybe it fails when there's no DTS support available yet? Are there licensing issues for multichannel audio for gaming?

I still haven't tested my Xbox One X with multichannel audio games, which is currently located in my living room working as a 4k Bluray player, but its next on the list of things to try out...

I’ve had absolutely no issues with 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos when gaming on Windows 10. HDMI out from my GPU to the A16. Just make sure you select the appropriate surround setup in Windows Volume Mixer or what we they call it when you right click on the sound icon near the clock. You should have options to set stereo, 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos for Home Theater. Select which ever one your game supports and you should be good to go.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #9,598 of 15,986
I always thought that the source doesn't need to know or do anything about Atmos, but only has to be able to bitstream Dolby True HD (or DD+)?
I think so, but I'm not sure to be honest. Also not sure aboout what HDMI version is needed.
Then why are some people reporting only 5.1 channels in Atmos?
I don't know. To be honest the only one I remember so far that posts a bit confusing stuff about 5.1 or Atmos or upmix or not, is Dixter (sorry)
Maybe some don't read the display right:
If an Atmos track is playing it says:
DOLBY
ATMOS

If a normal Dolby track (2.0, 5.1, 7.1) is playing it says:
DOLBY
AUDIO

One can easily misread this I'd say.

Not sure what you mean by bed though?
I posted this earlier already:
An Atmos mix consists of a fixed channel based layout plus sound objects that can be placed anywhere.
The fixed channels are called the "bed". It can be 5.1, 7.1 or 7.1.2. In most cases I'd say it's 7.1.
Normally the bed channels are always playing something, as far as my observations tell me.
Audio objects are not always there but can be placed any time anywhere. And those are rendered to the speakers that you have in your layout.
For example if there is a sound object between the front left and left side surrround: If you have a front left wide speaker it is rendered to that speaker. If not, it is mixed in part to the front left and left side surround so that there is a phantom source between them so that you roughly perceive this sound coming from about the same direction as if there were a front wide speaker.
So in principle the more real speakers you have the better. This is especially important for multi seating home theatres.
With the Realiser, as you are always in the sweet spot, it is not that important.

If the Atmos track has a 7.1.2 bed, with 2 top bed channels you can identify that by the following facts:
With 6 tops, the 2 bed channels are directed only to the 2 top mid speakers, and, as all bed channels are active most of the time.
With 4 tops every top bed channel gets mixed to the respective front and rear top to 50%, so most of the time the Ltf and Ltr play the same (look at the level meters) and Rtf and Rtr play the same. So that a phantom source is built between them so that you perceive this top bed channel from directly above of you.
Only if there are objects on the top channels then they play different sounds which can be identified by the audio meters.
If you solo a bed channel you'll notice that it's almost always playing something. If you solo a non-bed channel (like the front wides for example) they will be silent (and I mean totally silent, not even playing very silently something like the bed channels) most of the time.

There are some discs specifically labelled Atmos 7.1.4.
They seem to not use the front wides at alle.
I thinke they only use a 7.1 bed, and only objects at the top channels (but I'm not sure how they manage to keep the top mids in a 9.1.6 layout silent all the time! I checked this with such a disc and those top mids don't play anything)

Height 2 (15.1.8) 0 (9.1.6) 4 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Overhead 4 (15.1.8) 6 (9.1.6) 4 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Ground 2 (15.1.8) 0 (9.1.6) 0 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

SW 1 (15.1.8) 1 (9.1.6) 1 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Ear level 15 (15.1.8) 9 (9.1.6) 11 (Dolby guidelines 11.1.8)

Is this 15.1.8 ideal "as is" or is there a better configuration for action movies, such as adding SW2 for example or anything else for that matter?
Or is the question irrelevant?
I don't really get what you're trying to tell with you list?

The 15.1.8 has 4 overheads (tops) and 4 heights.

A 2nd SW can be good in a real environment, but can interfere with the other SW so can also have negative effects. With the Realiser, as you are always in the sweet spot, I'd say it's sufficient if you have on good subwoofer in your PRIR.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #9,599 of 15,986
Hi everyone, getting slowly used to the A16 in 24ch..i am planning to build a 24ch PRIR (15.1.8) from my personal one (9.1.6) with the addition of the extra virtualspkrs from the BBC room.
My question is: do i need to build the 15.1.8 PRIR first then perform a ManLoud HPEQ to EQ all the spkrs or just use my own HPEQ ManSpkrs that i already done with my personal 9.1.6 PRIR ? Knowing that the ManLoudHPEQ and the HPEQ ManSpkrs are only acting on the EQ of the L,C and R channels only..

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #9,600 of 15,986
Janska said:
I don't seem to have issues with getting 5.1 or 7.1 from games to A16 via HDMI. I've not tried to get Atmos since I've not yet seen a game supporting it. The speaker setup (in windows) needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 to get multichannel. If speaker setup is "stereo", then I only get that.

Do you have a display connected to HDMI out? I was thinking maybe this is a DRM issue, like when there is no HDCP available -> stereo only. I personally have old 40" TV connected to HDMI out, but its not switched on for windows usage, only for PS4. This is something I definitely need to experiment on.

Ok, I switched my TV on before starting windows and now I'm able to get 7.1 audio from windows games, I also changed loudspeaker setup from all of my audio devices to 7.1 when I could. I'm not sure which setting nailed it, but I'm quite sure this was an HDCP issue.

Nvidia control panel also notified that there is a repeater and it might cause some problems.

1595334916083.png

So, this is something to try if you have problems with multichannel audio in games. This is strange as I could get Dolby Atmos from netflix app, but no 7.1 from games as I think this HDCP thing is targeted more towards digital video/music content than games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back