Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #9,557 of 16,011
Be warned that a lot of people have had to return the unit
A lot of is a bit exaggerated at the moment, don't you think. There are over 200 people now out there with an A16, how many other than yourself do you know that sent in their unit for repair? 3, 4?
There are units that freeze sometimes, including my own one, FW reloading normally helps, and Stephen is investigating the problem to hopefully find a solution.
Of course it could be that the solution was to send those units in for repair but we don't know this at this point.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #9,559 of 16,011
I had wondered how Audeze Mobius compared with Realiser considering it sounded pretty good to me , Did a listening comparison on the last fight scene in Avengers Endgame. Realiser on Bbc speakers 15.1.8 with manloud filter on an HD800s and head tracking, Audeze with waves nx and head tracking.

Audeze the center channel was pretty good, but the dynamic range seemed compressed and details missing. The 7.1 virtual speakers worked in directionality but seemed very very close to me.

The Realiser felt like a mid to large room theater with tremendous detail in the sound,
The speakers well spaced, sound completely enveloping with very good dynamic range.

It's quite a difference, And Mobius is one of the best out there. I hadn't anticipated this much of difference considering this is not my head measured prir.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #9,561 of 16,011
Hi all, i am considering purchasing the a16 that is for sale on audiomart. It appears to be an unused Kickstarter unit that was delivered a year ago. It has not been upgraded of course. I am aware that the warranty would be void for the second owner. Other than that, is there anything I should be concerned about in buying the unit? Is there any test I can ask him to run to ensure basic functionality? Any other advice? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #9,564 of 16,011
Jul 20, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #9,566 of 16,011
Why not?

5.1 netflix movies got perfectly upmixed by my A16.
Not sure... I played with the Playstation most this weekend... Netflix on Playstation 4 is 5.1 for some reason and the upmixer wasn't doing anything for it... on a sadder note, the Sony DRM kicked in with the A16 connected so that also keeps you from playing a disc based movie... that was a surprise... so for Playstation its mainly game play.. both disc based and online based are great... I didn't test all of the apps on the Playstation but for gaming its the ticket...

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #9,567 of 16,011
In Dolby Atmos?
the test I did originally with the Mad Max was with the OPPO in Dolby Atmos... and it does 24ch.... I wanted to check the upmixer so I got out the Dolby Atmos Demo disk and played the disc back with the upmixer on and off... on that disk the Mad Max while played back gives you 24ch with upmix on and upmix off... if you have that disc then there is also the playstation games demo included also... they also are playing back with 24 ch... no upmix required...

Jul 20, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #9,568 of 16,011
If you guys want to know how many channels you can get out of Netflix Atmos I can test it at some point this week as I have the upgraded 4K streaming plan with them and have multiple Atmos capable devices running through my A16.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #9,570 of 16,011
@Got the Shakes... did you get standby pass thru to work...for some reason I was thinking while in standby (power off) it would automatically pass thru audio and video....

From my use, the A16 needs to be on and pass through enabled for the individual HDMI input for it to pass audio and video to the tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back