Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #9,572 of 15,986
Kinda makes me wonder why there is a standby mode... I can't tell it does anything... maybe you can turn it back on via the IP command ??

I haven’t extensively tested pass through in standby mode to be honest, but best I can tell it exists for IP control. You cannot power up the A16 via IP control if it is in its completely powered down state. I’ll test when I get home tonight, but I don’t expect pass through to work unless the A16 is in its powered on state.

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #9,573 of 15,986
If you guys want to know how many channels you can get out of Netflix Atmos I can test it at some point this week as I have the upgraded 4K streaming plan with them and have multiple Atmos capable devices running through my A16.
Please do. My Realiser arrives today and my plan is to stream Netflix off my Windows desktop.

Jul 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #9,574 of 15,986
How many channels you get in Atmos has nothing to do with Netflix or not. There is no special Netflix Atmos, they just use DD plus as Atmos "transport" instead of True HD because of datarate, but this can happen also on BD/UHD BD.
The number of channels depends on how many channels you have in your Atmos room and what "bed" is used and which objects and where and when.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #9,575 of 15,986
I second @audiohobbit’s opinion on that the number of channels depends on how many speakers you have in your Atmos room. In my previous post #8,309 of Sep 10, 2019, I attached two photos that reflected my speakers’ setup while rendering decoded Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D signals. For Dolby Atmos as it is object based, one can notice that there are no highlighted inputs corresponding to the active speakers.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #9,576 of 15,986
error

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #9,577 of 15,986
How many channels you get in Atmos has nothing to do with Netflix or not. There is no special Netflix Atmos, they just use DD plus as Atmos "transport" instead of True HD because of datarate, but this can happen also on BD/UHD BD.
The number of channels depends on how many channels you have in your Atmos room and what "bed" is used and which objects and where and when.
Then why are some people reporting only 5.1 channels in Atmos? Did they not make a 9.1.6 room? I understand that all the streaming ATMOS options are DD+, rather than True HD, b/c of the lower bitrate. Not sure what you mean by bed though? Unless you're referring to which speakers you make for your PRIR, how you label them, and what your geometric(?) relationship is to them when taking the PRIR.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #9,578 of 15,986
Not sure what you mean by bed though?
The bed is a set of channels that is channel based (ear level channels, I think mostly 7.1). All additional channels are only used to render sound objects to.

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #9,580 of 15,986
Windows 10 gaming with multichannel audio seems to be troublesome, while I get 7.1 sound out of my PS4 (when switched to PCM audio out) mostly I can get just stereo audio for games on Windows. I'm using HDMI out for games like for Netflix where Dolby Atmos works just like it should, on some content it renders to all 24ch.

Gaming seems to be a totally different thing. I have tried numerous games which does have multichannel audio, but just stereo-out with Realiser. The only game I have managed to get multichannel audio is Forza Horizon 4, which claims to support Dolby Atmos, I can get 7.1.4 there, but Realiser reports it as normal PCM, it doesn't indicate that it is receiving Atmos stream.

I have been thinking while almost all the windows games I tried are using xaudio2 framework for game audio, maybe it fails when there's no DTS support available yet? Are there licensing issues for multichannel audio for gaming?

I still haven't tested my Xbox One X with multichannel audio games, which is currently located in my living room working as a 4k Bluray player, but its next on the list of things to try out...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #9,581 of 15,986
Windows 10 gaming with multichannel audio seems to be troublesome, while I get 7.1 sound out of my PS4 (when switched to PCM audio out) mostly I can get just stereo audio for games on Windows. I'm using HDMI out for games like for Netflix where Dolby Atmos works just like it should, on some content it renders to all 24ch.

Gaming seems to be a totally different thing. I have tried numerous games which does have multichannel audio, but just stereo-out with Realiser. The only game I have managed to get multichannel audio is Forza Horizon 4, which claims to support Dolby Atmos, I can get 7.1.4 there, but Realiser reports it as normal PCM, it doesn't indicate that it is receiving Atmos stream.

I have been thinking while almost all the windows games I tried are using xaudio2 framework for game audio, maybe it fails when there's no DTS support available yet? Are there licensing issues for multichannel audio for gaming?

I still haven't tested my Xbox One X with multichannel audio games, which is currently located in my living room working as a 4k Bluray player, but its next on the list of things to try out...

I don't seem to have issues with getting 5.1 or 7.1 from games to A16 via HDMI. I've not tried to get Atmos since I've not yet seen a game supporting it. The speaker setup (in windows) needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 to get multichannel. If speaker setup is "stereo", then I only get that.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #9,582 of 15,986
I don't seem to have issues with getting 5.1 or 7.1 from games to A16 via HDMI. I've not tried to get Atmos since I've not yet seen a game supporting it. The speaker setup (in windows) needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 to get multichannel. If speaker setup is "stereo", then I only get that.

Do you have a display connected to HDMI out? I was thinking maybe this is a DRM issue, like when there is no HDCP available -> stereo only. I personally have old 40" TV connected to HDMI out, but its not switched on for windows usage, only for PS4. This is something I definitely need to experiment on.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #9,583 of 15,986
Then why are some people reporting only 5.1 channels in Atmos? Did they not make a 9.1.6 room? I understand that all the streaming ATMOS options are DD+, rather than True HD, b/c of the lower bitrate. Not sure what you mean by bed though? Unless you're referring to which speakers you make for your PRIR, how you label them, and what your geometric(?) relationship is to them when taking the PRIR.

I wonder if everyone has realised they also need an Atmos capable device , with an Atmos enabled version of the Netflix app, as well as paying for the highest tier? Xbox, Shield TV, AppleTV I think are capable, but I seem to recall that the Netflix app on Roku actually isn't atmos enabled, even though the hardware can pass out atmos.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #9,584 of 15,986
I wonder if everyone has realised they also need an Atmos capable device , with an Atmos enabled version of the Netflix app, as well as paying for the highest tier? Xbox, Shield TV, AppleTV I think are capable, but I seem to recall that the Netflix app on Roku actually isn't atmos enabled, even though the hardware can pass out atmos.
Speaking of Atmos capable devices, are all windows 10 boxes Atmos capable? I have a fourth generaton I7 Hp Envy (4720HQ procesor), 16 gigs of DDR4 memory, a 256gb solid state Samsung EVO drive and the highest Tier Netflix Desktop app, as well as the Windows Dolby Access app. Is this all I will need, or is there another hoop to jump through. (Like a later generation processor, for example)?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #9,585 of 15,986
I think that a Dolby Atmos capable device is able to decode metadata that are embedded in Dolby True HD and DD+ audio signals so that the system renders audio objects in real-time such that each sound is coming from its designated spot with respect to the setup of speakers in a room. That capability also involves a Dolby Atmos licence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back