Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #9,197 of 15,986
no spam nothing. I suppose I entered a wrong address. I'll wait til tomorrow and then try to register again.

By the way, for all who want to setup speakers for Atmos measurements, mabe this is helpful:
https://developerkb.dolby.com/helpdesk/attachments/16043434236

This is the guide for studio setups. More detailled than the normal guide.

Note: Where possible, aim all speakers both horizontally and vertically toward the mix position.Where this is not possible, the mix position must be well within the dispersion angle of the speaker

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #9,198 of 15,986
Thanks for the Guide for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment Studio Certification.

I was reluctant to register at the Realiser Exchange page as I haven’t got a Realiser A16 unit yet. However, I’ve done it. It went quite quickly.

Jun 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #9,200 of 15,986
Not having much luck with the exchange site. I was able to signup using Safari on my Mac, but then could not login. I switched to Chrome and then was able to login. However, when I try to register my A-16s, it says "Unable to register your device at this time. Please try again later. Contact support if you continue to experience this issue."

Jun 22, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #9,201 of 15,986
To all A16 owners,
I'm equally disappointed that more A16 owners have not elected to participate in the unofficial Google Drive A16 repository. It would be nice to try out PRIRs from other A16 owners from either unofficial or official repositories.

I think it is likely that many Realizer owners, like me, are getting the A-16 because they don't have a multi-channel speaker system. I could measure my two channel system, but my speakers are 180 pounds each, so there is no way I can move them around like you did with the Dutch & Dutch speakers. Frankly, it all seems like way too much work for a questionable result (since my room is in no way optimized for multi-channel). I'd much prefer to get a custom measurement created for myself in a room with properly setup Atmos speakers and room treatments.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #9,202 of 15,986
I think it is likely that many Realizer owners, like me, are getting the A-16 because they don't have a multi-channel speaker system. I could measure my two channel system, but my speakers are 180 pounds each, so there is no way I can move them around like you did with the Dutch & Dutch speakers. Frankly, it all seems like way too much work for a questionable result (since my room is in no way optimized for multi-channel). I'd much prefer to get a custom measurement created for myself in a room with properly setup Atmos speakers and room treatments.

Like you, I am reluctant to move my (not at all heavy) speakers around - I did it once and it was far too much effort. To my surprise, however, I have since discovered that the rears and sides sound perfectly convincing just by swiveling around and measuring 'backwards'. The room acoustics just don't seem to play such a crucial role for the surround positions.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #9,203 of 15,986
Posted today on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pg/SmythResearch/posts/?ref=page_internal
...Hell Simon,
Yes we are still trading, COVID-19 had slowed things down over the last few months, but we will be back shipping Kickstarter units early next month.
All units shipped out will have the upgrades which include eARC and 24 channel Atmos decoding.
Thanks again for your continued support.

SMYTH RESEARCH

Can someone tell me if this is trustworthy ??? I am extremely cautious nowadays!

PS : the "realiser exchange" page is back on the Smyth Research website. Not functional but back

Decided to check this thread again because I've heard nothing from Smyth about my own A16. Great that there's some sort of response but I really wish that they would communicate other than through a system of Chinese Whispers.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #9,206 of 15,986
Not having much luck with the exchange site. I was able to signup using Safari on my Mac, but then could not login. I switched to Chrome and then was able to login. However, when I try to register my A-16s, it says "Unable to register your device at this time. Please try again later. Contact support if you continue to experience this issue."
I had the same problem trying to register my device. Tried entering the serial number several different ways.......but no luck......

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #9,207 of 15,986
So whatever happened to DTS-X and Auro-3D certification and implementation? Does the Smyths' current "radio silence" about these functionalities mean or imply that nothing is being done about them now? And if nothing is being done now, when are they going to try getting the certification or starting the implementation? How long are these going to take? If they're doing nothing about it now, then what is the wisdom in the waiting and the delaying? I hope this is not what they're doing or thinking, but assuming they're planning to wait until all the present backlogged shipping of A-16 units is done (maybe at some point in 2021 or 2022) before beginning the processes of DTS-X/Auro 3d certification/implementation, wouldn't they be setting themselves and their clients up for another loooong nightmare of endless logistical horrors? Could those with access to the ears of Stephen Smyth or, maybe, Gilles Gerin, drop a word to them about this subject and let us know where the Smyths stand about the current status of the mentioned features and functionalities??

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #9,208 of 15,986
So whatever happened to DTS-X and Auro-3D certification and implementation? Does the Smyths' current "radio silence" about these functionalities mean or imply that nothing is being done about them now? And if nothing is being done now, when are they going to try getting the certification or starting the implementation? How long are these going to take? If they're doing nothing about it now, then what is the wisdom in the waiting and the delaying? I hope this is not what they're doing or thinking, but assuming they're planning to wait until all the present backlogged shipping of A-16 units is done (maybe at some point in 2021 or 2022) before beginning the processes of DTS-X/Auro 3d certification/implementation, wouldn't they be setting themselves and their clients up for another loooong nightmare of endless logistical horrors? Could those with access to the ears of Stephen Smyth or, maybe, Gilles Gerin, drop a word to them about this subject and let us know where the Smyths stand about the current status of the mentioned features and functionalities??

According to the release notes with the 1.90 firmware, DTS-X and Auro 3D are #1 and #2 in the “features in development” section. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this link: https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/A16-firmware-1.90-26-May-2020.pdf

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #9,209 of 15,986
According to the release notes with the 1.90 firmware, DTS-X and Auro 3D are #1 and #2 in the “features in development” section. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this link: https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/A16-firmware-1.90-26-May-2020.pdf
Thanks, @Got the Shakes :

I saw this list:

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) DTS-X certification
2) Auro3D certification
3) Vertical Headtracking mode
4) Low delay gaming mode
5) Separate Denoise function for existing PRIR files
6) Allow Sound Rooms to be written-to/read-from the SD card (like PRIR files)
7) Extend optical stabilisation mode to User B head tracking

There are certainly several related intriguing questions to be asked, but for the moment, what interests me most is the meaning of the expression in parenthesis "(all hardware variants)". If the expression means or implies that the implementation of the listed features would require the administration of hardware tweaks to the A-16 (as opposed to merely software or firmware updates), then the logical question that comes to mind is whether already shipped A16s would need to be shipped back to Smyth Research for such tweaks...

I do not know the answer to this question, but I'd certainly appreciate the input of anyone who does.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #9,210 of 15,986
Thanks, @Got the Shakes :

I saw this list:

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) DTS-X certification
2) Auro3D certification
3) Vertical Headtracking mode
4) Low delay gaming mode
5) Separate Denoise function for existing PRIR files
6) Allow Sound Rooms to be written-to/read-from the SD card (like PRIR files)
7) Extend optical stabilisation mode to User B head tracking

There are certainly several related intriguing questions to be asked, but for the moment, what interests me most is the meaning of the expression in parenthesis "(all hardware variants)". If the expression means or implies that the implementation of the listed features would require the administration of hardware tweaks to the A-16 (as opposed to merely software or firmware updates), then the logical question that comes to mind is whether already shipped A16s would need to be shipped back to Smyth Research for such tweaks...

I do not know the answer to this question, but I'd certainly appreciate the input of anyone who does.

I believe what it means is that the features listed as working for all hardware variants will work on any model whether it has the old boards or the newer ones. Below that list are a few items that will only be implemented on A16s with the newer components like eARC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back