Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 13, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #9,091 of 16,008
I'm very sorry to hear that. I think you already tried reinstalling (older) Firmwares (several times)?
Did you have "the buzz" also?
The unit crashed before I could complete an update, and gave a me a red screen with "error code 001". I do have a "buzz", but not into the headphone, it's coming from inside the case even when the unit is turned off. Something maybe like an old outdoor transformer buzz that comes the moment I plug the power in at the back. Loud enough that instead of me thinking "oh crap yet another device with an annoying little transformer noise", like any audiophile maniac would, here it freaked me out enough that I'm not plugging the power in it again:scream_cat:.

Anyway, time will tell. It's just a shock for me to "realize" how used I got to my usual night time headphone sessions not sounding like a headphone. Second night going cold turkey and I don't like it.

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #9,092 of 16,008
Sooo, what does "we are close" mean? Hours away from launch? Days away? Months away? Years away?... See where I'm going with that? No-one can say, because it is coming from SR, and it is better never to assume anything about such announcements, if one wants to retain one's sanity...

Also given that A-16s themselves began shipping in August 2019, and I myself + more than half of A-16 buyers do not seem remotely close to receiving our units at any time this year...

In the Smyth Research torture chamber, trying to speculate on the meaning of such expressions as "we are close" is just a recipe for,... well,... more torture... if not outright madness...

Okay, I won't get myself worked up any further... It is still too early in the morning for that in my time zone...

I all ready told you guys.... crossing the T's and dotting the I's.....just need the thumb up for release...

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #9,094 of 16,008
Jun 15, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #9,097 of 16,008
I will be able to explain at a later date... but I have a feeling there are other priorities with the Smyths at this time and the exchange site just needs a little fine tuning and the release... all is good...
That will certainly be a big box ticked when it happens.

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #9,098 of 16,008
I do have a "buzz", but not into the headphone, it's coming from inside the case even when the unit is turned off.
Wow that sounds really bad and dangerous. I hope for you that it can be repaired and will not take 6 moths like phoenixdogfans A16.
Although I have a lot of sympathy for the Smyths and their situation, keeping a unit for repair for half a year or more, is a no go! I would be p*ssed.

I will be able to explain at a later date... but I have a feeling there are other priorities with the Smyths at this time
Always talking in riddles...
This doesn't help very much and only leads to wild speculations!
Not disclosing your source doesn't help either.

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #9,099 of 16,008
Always talking in riddles...
This doesn't help very much and only leads to wild speculations!
Not disclosing your source doesn't help either.
[/QUOTE]
In the beginning I tried to tell what I know and for some reason just like now you keep calling me out.... so I can't say as much as I'd like to say ...

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #9,100 of 16,008
Has anyone made any progress on finding some good listening rooms? I'm actually finding that even with a very high-end listening room, my headphones (Stax) are actually more resolving than the room they're emulating...!

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #9,101 of 16,008
I am sorry.
Informations are appreciated but should be as transparent as possible, and should not lead to speculations.
When I inform aboot s.th. here I tell where the info comes from, most of the time from Stephen in my case.
In the beginning of our conversations I asked him if I can give the info(s) on the froum(s), but I can't ask every time. So sometimes I am a bit hesitant (for example he mailed me the IP command document before public release) but in the end he should know that what he tells me or s.o. else may be published to the world.

S.o. else here is in contact with Andy, the Exchange website programmer, and he tells us that this is his source, and also that Andy said he is not allowed to say this or that etc.

In your case: I already asked what is your source. So at least you should tell us that you have a reliable source but you are not allowed to tell us who/what it is.

And the "feeling about other priorities" let me ask: Why do you "feel" that, and what other priorities are you thinking of etc.?

As I said otherwise this leads to speculations, for example they can not deliver units to KS backers anymore, they are going belly up, someone has COVID19 etc etc.

Just giving such hints is not a very good style in my opinion, sorry.

Last but not least: English is not my first language so there maybe misunderstandings in both directions also.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #9,102 of 16,008
Has anyone made any progress on finding some good listening rooms? I'm actually finding that even with a very high-end listening room, my headphones (Stax) are actually more resolving than the room they're emulating...!
This is a matter of deciding on a reference. If you take a recorded signal and measure the output right in front of your Stax, and then the output at a sitting position in a room with speakers; then the Stax is much better in term of fidelity. That's going to be true for about any speakers in any room, but it is true only because we picked the audio file as reference.
Now if we pick the sound at the listening position in a studio where the album was mastered(that legendary unicorn sound like the artist sound engineer intended), then it might be harder to give the win to headphones, no matter how clean those drivers are.

But yes, a low distortion driver right next to your ear has higher fidelity(for the same SPL output at your ear) and makes it easier to notice details, than speakers with higher distortion figures plus a room with a bunch of reverb. When doing listening tests trying to detect the smallest cues, headphones are usually making things easier. With speakers it is often beneficial to only use one, but even then you probably won't get some of the minute details you may pick up with a headphone.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #9,103 of 16,008
Thanks, that's a helpful post. It's not just about minute details - I subjectively prefer the sound of the Stax - e.g. vocals sound more authentic (perhaps the extra detail is helping as I can hear the singer's voice 'cracking.') Actual speakers would probably be preferable for bass but at the moment I'm thinking to relegate the Realiser to movies - although I hope people do post details of high quality listening rooms in the EU where they've been able to record PRIRs...

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #9,104 of 16,008
Thanks, that's a helpful post. It's not just about minute details - I subjectively prefer the sound of the Stax - e.g. vocals sound more authentic (perhaps the extra detail is helping as I can hear the singer's voice 'cracking.') Actual speakers would probably be preferable for bass but at the moment I'm thinking to relegate the Realiser to movies - although I hope people do post details of high quality listening rooms in the EU where they've been able to record PRIRs...
My personal taste seems to be strongly based on "first exposure". If I discovered an album using only headphones or IEMs, then I'll often enjoy the basic headphone playback. And sometimes go as far as feel like it's how the sound should be. Otherwise I tend to find the headphone for that album to sound "wrong", and worst of all, tiring.
Not a 100% thing but definitely a strong influence for me.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #9,105 of 16,008
I asked yesterday for information on the Smyth Realiser web site :
subject : deliveries for kickstarters and upgrades for others
...I am begging you to hand over some information to us because people are desperate. Even bad information (delays, anything) is welcome.
You have to trust us at some point because the lack of info is not working to your advantage...

And I received a reply today from James :
...I checked your records and see you have received your unit. What seems to be the problem?...

This is a pertinent question deliberately misunderstood. I asked him today whether the new boards that I asked for to upgrade my A16 with Gilles (French importe) were yet received or still in the USA.

Sorry guys, I tried...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back