Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #9,017 of 15,986
My Realiser A16 is getting stuck at the start up screen a lot, I have to keep turning it on and off repeatedly via the remote. It seems to be getting worse and worse.

I've heard of others having this issue. Do I have the defective hardware or is this a software issue?

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #9,018 of 15,986
My Realiser A16 is getting stuck at the start up screen a lot, I have to keep turning it on and off repeatedly via the remote. It seems to be getting worse and worse.

I've heard of others having this issue. Do I have the defective hardware or is this a software issue?
I don't know. Mine had that problem out of the box, and firmware updates and hard reboots did not fix it, so back to Smyth Research it went. That was January, still haven't gotten it back.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #9,020 of 15,986
Firmware 1.90 and 1.91 gives me buzzes intermittently as I mentioned before. I asked for help this Thursday on Smyth Realiser website and received an answer within the hour...yes, within the hour !
Their answer was (not signed, Yahoo mail on Android) :
...Could you send us a screen shot of the speaker map when listening to the upmixer Dolby soundtrack...

I sent the screen shot yesterday.
Wait & see...and wait & see...and w...:zzz:

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #9,021 of 15,986
Follow up on my buzz problem :
After some email exchanges this afternoon with Stephen, he informs me that the buzz problem is unfortunately not reproducible on their A16.
He has several hypotheses (including a possible defective APM89L card) and thinks that the problem will be solved most probably with the next update.

I of course took the opportunity to ask for a word (only one) about future shipments ... to follow I hope since it was my last email...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #9,024 of 15,986
I started making PRIRs a week ago, and I finally cobbled together my first 9.1.6ch room using a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8C monitors.

D&D_8C.PNG

This being my first attempt at creating an A16 PRIR, I had to create three separate PRIRs to complete a 9.0.6ch room. I'm sure if I remeasured everything in one session, I could produce a single 9.0.6 PRIR and improve volume level matching of the center channel as well. At some point, I may go back and redo the measurements. However, remeasuring everything is not an ordeal I wish to revisit at this time. I've uploaded all three files to the Google Drive that I believe was created by @Rene Lou.

To create a full 9.0.6 Atmos and/or PCM room, you'll need to use the Listening Rooms menu to combine all three PRIRs. The Google Drive folder also contains a _Readme file. This file contains additional notes on each file, along with specifics on how to combine all three PRIRs (see instructions below). It should be noted that none of the PRIRs include a subwoofer measurement. This omission was intentional because that the 8C is the first stand-mounted monitor I've heard that can reach 20Hz in my room. That said, I'm pleased to report that I'm satisfied with the sound of the resulting 9.0.6ch room, although the majority of my listing is limited to two-channel music.

If you achieve respectable results from the Dutch & Dutch 8C PRIRs, let me know either via this thread or directly via PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06/19/20 Update: I've updated the process instructions below with corrections suggested by @audiohobbit, and I've uploaded a new Readme_v3 file to the Google Drive. @Rene Lou please move the Readme_v3 file from the Upload New Files Here Folder to Folder 3 and delete all prior Readme file versions. Also please delete the redundant PRIR_jazzfan_ Home D&D 8C _7[ 19.37 02-Jun-2020 ]200602222801.svs from Folder 3. Thank you!

06/09/20 Update: I will be uploading a new PRIR in the future that can be used to create a full 9.1.6 Atmos/PCM room. Stay tuned. Thanks @audiohobbit for raising the issue. See this post for more information.

Title: Building virtual rooms from multiple PRIRs

Description

With the Realiser A16, virtual rooms can be created using multiple speaker measurements taken at different times. These instructions are an example of the steps needed to create a new virtual 9.0.6 room by combining three specific custom A16 PRIRs. If different PRIRs are used, the steps detailed here may need to change to reflect differences in other individual PRIR files. These steps are specific to my personalized Dutch & Dutch 8C measurement files.

Process Summary

1. Transfer the PRIRs to the A16

2. Build new Atmos/PCM rooms

3. Load the new virtual room number into presets

Process Details

Step 1 - Transfer the PRIRs from an SD card to permanent storage in the A16

1.1 Download the PRIRs from the Google Drive (or any other source) and copy the files to a properly formatted MicroSD card
1.2 Insert the MicroSD card into the A16; Power on the A16
1.3 After the A16 completely boots to the Speaker Map, press the Menu key on the remote; From the Main menu, Scroll to Files; Press Enter
1.4 Scroll to MicroSD PRIR; Press Enter
1.5 Scroll to Copy to A16; Press Enter
1.6 Scroll to MicroSD to Permanent storage; Press Enter
1.7 Press Back to return to the Files menu
1.8 Repeat steps 1.4 thru 1.7 for each PRIR you wish to transfer

Step 2 - Build new Atmos/PCM rooms
2.1 From the Main Menu, scroll to Listening Rooms; Press Enter
2.2 Scroll to Atmos (or PCM) Rooms; Press Enter
2.3 Change the Atmos (or PCM) room number to a room number of your choice
2.4 Press the Right Arrow key to move to the Key symbol; Press the Adj+/Adj- key to unlock the room entry (the key color will change from Red to Gray)
2.5 Scroll to Listening mode; Use the Adj+/Adj- key to change the value to 9.0.6

Select the first PRIR (D&D 8C 7.0ch Date 02-Jun-2020 Time 15:08 - Bad Center)
2.6 Scroll to Channel 1 (Left) in the virtual speaker list; Press Enter
2.7 Select the Permanent PRIR Files entry from the list; Press Enter
2.8 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired PRIR number from Perm Storage; Make sure the desired file Name and Date/Time appear on the display
2.9 Scroll to Select All Matching Speakers; Press Enter

Select the second PRIR (D&D 8C OH 9.1.6 Date 06-Jun-2020 Time 17.26)
2.10 Scroll to Channel 1 (Left); Press Enter
2.11 Select the Permanent PRIR Files entry from the list; Press Enter
2.12 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired PRIR number from Perm Storage; Make sure the desired file Name and Date/Time appear on the display
2.13 Scroll to Select All Matching Speaker; Press Enter

Select the third PRIR (D&D 8C 9.1.6ch Date 10-Jun-2020 Time 16:59 - Good Center and Subwoofer)
2.14 Scroll to Channel 1 (Left); Press Enter
2.15 Select the Permanent PRIR Files entry from the list; Press Enter
2.16 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired PRIR number from Perm Storage; Make sure the desired file Name and Date/Time appear on the display
2.17 Scroll to Select All Matching Speakers; Press Enter

Save the new room
2.18 Scroll to the top of the Atmos Room page
2.19 Press the Right Arrow key to move the the Key symbol; Press the Adj+/Adj- key to lock the room entry (the key color will change from Gray to Red)
2.20 Press the Back key to save the Room
2.21 Repeat steps 2.1 thru 2.20 to create a PCM room

Step 3 - Load the new room number into presets
3.1 From the Main Menu, scroll to Presets A or B; Press Enter
3.2 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired Preset number
3.3 Scroll to the Atmos or PCM entry; Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired room number
3.4 Scroll to the top line of the Preset menu; Press Enter to reload the preset
3.5 Press Back to return to the Main menu
3.6 Repeat steps 3.1 thru 3.4 for each User and room type as needed

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #9,025 of 15,986
I started making PRIRs a week ago, and I finally cobbled together my first 9.1.6ch room using a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8C monitors.

D&D_8C.PNG

This being my first attempt at creating an A16 PRIR, I had to create three separate PRIRs to complete a 9.1.6ch room. I'm sure if I remeasured everything in one session, I could produce a single 9.1.6 PRIR and improve volume level matching of the center channel as well. At some point, I may go back and redo the measurements. However, remeasuring everything is not an ordeal I wish to revisit at this time. I've uploaded all three files to the Google Drive that I believe was created by @Rene Lou.

To create a full 9.1.6 Atmos and/or PCM room, you'll need to use the Listening Rooms menu to combine all three PRIRs. The Google Drive folder also contains a _Readme file. This file contains additional notes on each file, along with specifics on how to combine all three PRIRs (see instructions below). It should be noted that none of the PRIRs include a subwoofer measurement. This omission was intentional because that the 8C is the first stand-mounted monitor I've heard that can reach 20Hz in my room. That said, I'm pleased to report that I'm satisfied with the sound of the resulting 9.1.6ch room (technically a 9.0.6ch room), although the majority of my listing is limited to two-channel music.

If you achieve respectable results from the Dutch & Dutch 8C PRIRs, let me know either via this thread or directly via PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Building virtual rooms from multiple PRIRs

Description

With the Realiser A16, virtual rooms can be created using multiple speaker measurements taken at different times. These instructions are an example of the steps needed to create a new virtual 9.1.6 room by combining three specific custom A16 PRIRs. If different PRIRs are used, the steps detailed here may need to change to reflect differences in other individual PRIR files. These steps are specific to my personalized Dutch & Dutch 8C measurement files.

Process Summary

1. Transfer the PRIRs to the A16

2. Build new Atmos/PCM rooms

3. Load the new virtual room number into presets

Process Details

Step 1 - Transfer the PRIRs from an SD card to permanent storage in the A16

1.1 Download the PRIRs from the Google Drive (or any other source) and copy the files to a properly formatted MicroSD card
1.2 Insert the MicroSD card into the A16; Power on the A16
1.3 After the A16 completely boots to the Speaker Map, press the Menu key on the remote; From the Main menu, Scroll to Files; Press Enter
1.4 Scroll to MicroSD PRIR; Press Enter
1.5 Scroll to Copy to A16; Press Enter
1.6 Scroll to MicroSD to Permanent storage; Press Enter
1.7 Press Back to return to the Files menu
1.8 Repeat steps 1.4 thru 1.7 for each PRIR you wish to transfer

Step 2 - Build new Atmos/PCM rooms
2.1 From the Main Menu, scroll to Listening Rooms; Press Enter
2.2 Scroll to Atmos (or PCM) Rooms; Press Enter
2.3 Change the Atmos (or PCM) room number to a room number of your choice
2.4 Press the Right Arrow key to move to the Key symbol; Press the Adj+/Adj- key to unlock the room entry (the key color will change from Red to Gray)
2.5 Scroll to Listening mode; Use the Adj+/Adj- key to change the value to 9.1.6

Select the first PRIR (D&D 8C 7.0ch Time 15:08)
2.6 Scroll to Channel 1 (Left) in the virtual speaker list; Press Enter
2.7 Select the Permanent PRIR Files entry from the list; Press Enter
2.8 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired PRIR number; Make sure the desired file Name and Date/Time appear on the display
2.9 Scroll to Select All Matching Speakers; Press Enter

Select the second PRIR (D&D 8C 7.0ch Time 19.37)
2.10 Scroll to Channel 3 (Center); Press Enter
2.11 Select the Permanent PRIR Files entry from the list; Press Enter
2.12 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired PRIR from the SD card; Make sure the desired file Name and Date/Time appear on the display
2.13 Scroll to Select One Matching Speaker; Press Enter
2.14 Select the Channel 1 (Center) entry from the virtual speaker list; Press Enter

Select the third PRIR (D&D 8C 9.1.6ch OH)
2.15 Scroll to Channel 1 (Left); Press Enter
2.16 Select the Permanent PRIR Files entry from the list; Press Enter
2.17 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired PRIR from the SD card; Make sure the desired file Name and Date/Time appear on the display
2.18 Scroll to Select All Matching Speakers; Press Enter

Save the new room
2.19 Scroll to the top of the Atmos Room page
2.20 Press the Right Arrow key to move the the Key symbol; Press the Adj+/Adj- key to lock the room entry (the key color will change from Gray to Red)
2.21 Press the Back key to save the Room
2.22 Repeat steps 2.1 thru 2.21 to create a PCM room

Step 3 - Load the new room number into presets
3.1 From the Main Menu, scroll to Presets A or B; Press Enter
3.2 Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired Preset number
3.3 Scroll to the Atmos or PCM entry; Use the Adj+/Adj- keys to select the desired room number
3.4 Scroll to the top line of the Preset menu; Press Enter to reload the preset
3.5 Press Back to return to the Main menu
3.6 Repeat steps 3.1 thru 3.4 for each User and room type as needed
Wonder if you would be so kind as to post that one to the drive.

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #9,027 of 15,986
Jun 9, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #9,029 of 15,986
@jazzfan:
If there is no Subwoofer (SW) in any of your PRIRs then a 9.0.6 room has to be configured. I think that in a 9.0.6 Atmos room the LFE gets routed to the L and R speakers, but to be honest I don't know. And I also don't know how the LFE Boost works this way. (LFE +10).
In a Dolby (and DTS I suppose) BITSTREAM the LFE channel is recorded 10 dB lower than the main channels. A normal AV-Receiver does the LFE Boost automatically. With the Realiser it could be complicated, it depends on the relative Subwoofer Level to the other channels during the PRIR recording.
For a PCM signal it depends on the device that sends and/or decode the signal.

Example(s):
For the Surrey Room I need the LFE+10 for Atmos signals. At least I'm pretty sure about that.
Since DTS can not yet be decoded by the Realiser, my UHD Player Panasonic 424 decodes a DTS bitstream to PCM and it seems that it already boosts the LFE by 10 dB. So I don't need the LFE+10 for PCM rooms in this case.
The same is true for the sync measurements we did in January. We also did it in separate PRIRs, with 2 speakers each, so 8 PRIRs in total (I described this few pages ago).

In this case we had 2 speakers and a Subwoofer, Both speakers were bassmanaged by the AVR with the Sub, so effectively full range. We recorded one speaker then as SW. Only for the LFE, because all other speakers have been effectively recorded as fullrange. We always used the L and R analogue ins of the AVR (it didn't even have a multi channel in with a dedicated SW in), so in this case the "Sub" has been recorded at the same level as the other speakers, so for Atmos bitstreams the Realiser has to do the LFE+10.

If your speakers frequency response goes down to 20 Hz you could have recorded one as SW in a PRIR. It does not need to be very powerful, just the frequency response low enough would be sufficient.
Then you could setup 9.1.6 rooms.

Or, what I nearly forgot: You could either choose a sub from the BBC or Surrey room or use the Direct Bass functionality.

And don't forget that everyone with different ears as jazzfan's need a manLOUD HPEQ based on his PRIRs so that they may work a little bit better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back