Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #8,986 of 16,010
There's no signal processing applied when using the 16 line outs. A 16 would not be a very good prepro, as there's no processing available to adjust levels or delays per channel. There also are no bass management for subs.
But if you use something like Genelec SAM monitors, you would be fine with just connecting those speakers directly to the A16, as they have a built in room correction and bass management. The A16 pro would be even better, if it can do AES out. Then you would have all digital path from source to the speaker.

May 28, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #8,987 of 16,010
QUOTE="sahmen, post: 15642945, member: 394591"]
Yes that was the nuance I have been anticipating. It would seem to suggest, if I am not overlooking something, that if one wants to use live speakers, then it might be best to bypass the A-16 entirely in favor of some alternative component, such as a standard pre pro,or avr, independently attached to their own amps, or maybe an integrated amplifier, Right?
[/QUOTE]
Yes... I think you got that correct...

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #8,988 of 16,010
There's no signal processing applied when using the 16 line outs. A 16 would not be a very good prepro, as there's no processing available to adjust levels or delays per channel. There also are no bass management for subs.
But if you use something like Genelec SAM monitors, you would be fine with just connecting those speakers directly to the A16, as they have a built in room correction and bass management. The A16 pro would be even better, if it can do AES out. Then you would have all digital path from source to the speaker.
I think you could use something like JRiver to adjust individual channel levels and do bass management for subs with the A16 just serving as a volume control and analog out for you computer. Don't know why that wouldn't work if all you plan on streaming is stuff through your computer.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #8,989 of 16,010
Yes that was the nuance I have been anticipating. It would seem to suggest, if I am not overlooking something, that if one wants to use live speakers, then it might be best to bypass the A-16 entirely in favor of some alternative component, such as a standard pre pro,or avr, independently attached to their own amps, or maybe an integrated amplifier, Right?
Assuming the Pro-D actually supports 16 digital PCM audio inputs/ outputs (24-bit 192kHz via AES-EBU), and you combine it with a sufficient number of e.g. minidsp DDRC-88d until the Realiser learns Dirac (if ever), and either digital speakers or good DACs, the end result might provide better sound than almost anything on the market.

May 28, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #8,990 of 16,010
I think you could use something like JRiver to adjust indiviual channel levels and do bass management for subs with the A16 just serving as a volume control and analog out for you computer. Don't know why that wouldn't work if all you plan on streaming is stuff through your computer.
I like JRiver as it does a lot for a play back software package... one of the best deals is that it has its own streaming service that is patterned off of Radio Paradise ... customers of JRiver get to upload their playlist files and as it grows there is quite a bit of FREE streaming of those files.... and of course they list several other streaming sites for you to listen to... I do like Radio Paradise for back ground music... also nice is the way you can configure the output... like having everything converted to DSD format on output... seems to be a popular config to convert to DSD output as it helps out modern day DAC chips like the AKM chips... the Topping D90 and D90MQA seem to like it...

May 28, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #8,991 of 16,010
I think you could use something like JRiver to adjust indiviual channel levels and do bass management for subs with the A16 just serving as a volume control and analog out for you computer. Don't know why that wouldn't work if all you plan on streaming is stuff through your computer.
How would that setup work if you use videos with HD Atmos and DTS-X audio on your computer and/or UHD BD disks via a player? Can a computer decode those HD audio's to PCM? I've always used a bitstream from all such sources and used an external device like A16 and a prepro to do the decoding of the bitstream to speakers. Don't think it's easily doable to route UHD player audio via PC for JRiver to decode it. Never usedJriver. Can it do all that?

May 28, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #8,992 of 16,010
How would that setup work if you use videos with HD Atmos and DTS-X audio on your computer and/or UHD BD disks via a player? Can a computer decode those HD audio's to PCM? I've always used a bitstream from all such sources and used an external device like A16 and a prepro to do the decoding of the bitstream to speakers. Don't think it's easily doable to route UHD player audio via PC for JRiver to decode it. Never usedJriver. Can it do all that?
I don't use a player. My post specifically says everything must be streamed through the computer for this to work. And yes it can decode all the legacy formats and send them a PCM streams over USB, As for Atmos, and DTS-X, no. I for one would only want to us the A16 as a decoder and preamp for the 5.1 and 7,1 legacy formats, I kinda think 16 speakers in a room is impractical and exhorbitantly expensive. But a sub, 3 mini-monitors and a couple of small surrounds, yeah, I think JRiver+PC+A16 could work pretty well for that, especially for stuff like Netflix and Amazon Prime 5.1 surround sound.

16 Channel Atmos and DTS-X sound represent another use case for me. If I want to listen to that stuff, that's why I have an HD 800, and LCD-X, a Khadas Tone Board, a THX 789 and an A16 Realiser.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #8,993 of 16,010
I'm still waiting on the info from Stephen if and where to get the Android App from Demopad that they're talking about on their webpage.
Would be a pity if this would only work on Apple Devices.

* This is what I found on Demopad forum : http://forum.demopad.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6815&p=9169&hilit=android+app+app#p9169

Post by bpratt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am
So where does one go to get the Android app ?
And how does one publish to a Android device, i.e. a Samsung S2 tab ?

DemoPad
Site Admin
Re: Demopad - Plans for Android app??

Post by DemoPad » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Please email support for the Android apk link. You need to be using a Centro. Publishing is almost exactly the same as publishing to iOS.

And this is the reply I received from Demopad today :
...currently you can only use our Android app if you use our Centro hardware, in which case the app is free and can be downloaded directly to your device. Do you have a licence to use our PC software?...

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #8,994 of 16,010
Important info from Stephen Smythe regarding FW1.90:
I believe there is an issue with the initialisation table for rev 1.90. I will get an update out this weekend that corrects this. In the mean time anyone with a problem ( like stalling) should go back to rev 1.81

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #8,997 of 16,010
I think its important to just ask....

why didn't Smyth Research send out communication to all of the A16 owners telling them that a firmware upgrade was available....

and why didn't they communicate with the A16 owners that the FW1.90 was messed up

is this the way going forward that Smyth Research is going to communicate.... I'll bet that not everyone that owns a A16 is on Head-fi.....

Hey Stephen.... thanks for not doing your job...

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #8,998 of 16,010
Forgot to add.... Smyth Research has told everyone that going forward all A16 units will have the new hardware.... question is now.... when will the user manual be updated and released... come on Stephen...

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #8,999 of 16,010
Forgot to add.... Smyth Research has told everyone that going forward all A16 units will have the new hardware.... question is now.... when will the user manual be updated and released... come on Stephen...
The real question is when are they going to turn around the units that were sent back and are currently in house, so they can get back to fulfilling the orders for the kickstarters and the preorders! That and when are they going to release a real, consumer ready web gui AND create a viable Realiser Exchange site.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #9,000 of 16,010
I am pretty sure someone on this forum emailed James already asking about news regarding the A16 upgrades. So, are there any? A simple "No" as a response would be fine. No response kind of means "No" too I guess :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back