Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #9,001 of 15,986
They are presently concentrating on the Firmware and how its working with the Old A16 hardware and the New A16 hardware.... when they get comfortable with the firmware working with both setups they will complete and send out the A16 with new hardware...
I would suggest if you have the older A16 hardware and you update with the new firmware releases you test your A16 out and if you find new issues it would be in your interest to report the bug(s) to James or Stephan... even if you don't get a reply back its best to let them know, you might be finding a bug they don't know about yet...

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #9,004 of 15,986
Anyone tried firmware update 1.91 yet ?
Someone at HCFR is complaining that he hears very unpleasant buzzes from time to time while watching a movie after installing 1.91
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...view-hcfr-liens-en-post-1-t30075654-1590.html at 21:25

I had the same problem but with firmware 1.90 only ; I am not that eager now to install 1.91 after that.

Thank you for any feedback on this subject.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #9,005 of 15,986
Hm, not good. Is he a customer of Gilles and can report this to him?

I'd wish my french would be much better (few years in school 20 years ago do not help much...) so I could directly read the HCFR-Thread, because it seems to be a very active Realiser community there.
Running an online translator all the time is cumbersome and doesn't help that much.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #9,006 of 15,986
Okay, FWIW, here are the poster's complaints:

Message » 02 Juin 2020 21:25

Mise à jour 1.91 installée. Je constate des grésillements à très fort volume qui apparaissent lors du visionnage d’un film et cela de façon aléatoire. Très très désagréable cela me fait sursauter.
Cette mise à jour n’est pas encore au point.

Firmware 1.91 installed. I notice some very loud crackling noises that occur randomly when I am watching a film. Very very unpleasant, as they make me jump in my seat. This update is still not ready for prime time.

» 02 Juin 2020 23:03

Pour être plus précis, alors que j’avais fini de regarder mon film, les buzz aléatoires ont continué tant que le realiser est resté allumé.
Gros soucis à corriger

To be more precise, even when I had finished watching my film, these random buzzing noises continued to occur, as long the Realiser remained powered on. A big concern that remains to be resolved.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #9,007 of 15,986

Hm, not good. Is he a customer of Gilles and can report this to him?

I'd wish my french would be much better (few years in school 20 years ago do not help much...) so I could directly read the HCFR-Thread, because it seems to be a very active Realiser community there.
Running an online translator all the time is cumbersome and doesn't help that much.

I now have the same problem as well (buzzes) after 1.91

Gilles says :
...nothing to do with the firmware, it is often when the HDMI cables run along the power cord of the transformer. We must keep them away ...

I wish it were true because I was watching a bluray with firmware 1.81 : no problems at all.
With 1.91 after watching my DVD : buzzes

However I distanced HDMI from power cables as Gilles suggested and absolutely no difference : buzzes again.

Wait and see whether we are maybe the only ones with the same problem.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #9,008 of 15,986
I went back several pages only. Maybe my answer could be answered if I went further. But dont have the time. So I'll ask with the hope a reader knows the answer already...

What is the number of latest backer or preorderer that has shipped?

Personally I'm disgusted given how behind they are that they exhibit no concern for their [unrealized, pending, future, FULLY PAID UP!] customer base to find a way to keep the hardware shipping during this time of covid-19. I would have the feeling of a fire under my ass burning my balls if I were in their shoes! As a principal of the organization I would quarantine myself and be eating, drinking, sleeping and working at the manufacturing facility, to keep the flow going! :^<

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #9,010 of 15,986
...nothing to do with the firmware, it is often when the HDMI cables run along the power cord of the transformer. We must keep them away ...
Sorry to say that, but I think this is a bit nonsense. We're talking about a digital signal here. Only thing that happens sometime is a ground loop between 2 devices, as the Realiser is not grounded. This normally results in a more or less constant hum.
Analogue signals are more prone to interference from other cables.
This also may cause a humming noise.

But as far as I understand we're talking here about a sudden, very loud buzzing noise.
A noise that has already been named by Stephen to come from the Realiser itself and where he still searches for the reason I think. Same as with the stalling problem.
All these randomly appearing bugs are difficult to trace.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #9,011 of 15,986
Sorry to say that, but I think this is a bit nonsense. We're talking about a digital signal here. Only thing that happens sometime is a ground loop between 2 devices, as the Realiser is not grounded. This normally results in a more or less constant hum.
Analogue signals are more prone to interference from other cables.
This also may cause a humming noise.

But as far as I understand we're talking here about a sudden, very loud buzzing noise.
A noise that has already been named by Stephen to come from the Realiser itself and where he still searches for the reason I think. Same as with the stalling problem.
All these randomly appearing bugs are difficult to trace.

I quoted you on HCFR because your explanation is more rational :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...view-hcfr-liens-en-post-1-t30075654-1605.html

Thank you

PS : your French may be from 20 years ago but my German is from 52 years ago !

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #9,012 of 15,986
To the best of my knowledge, KS backer #204 has received his/her A16, whereas #203 hasn't received it yet.

As I wrote in a previous post, it seems that the kickstarters campaign has been a hat that is much too big for Smyth Research’s head.
I am backer #205 still waiting

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #9,013 of 15,986
I quoted you on HCFR because your explanation is more rational
LOL, that's funny. A german writes in English and gets translated to French by a Belgian (is that correct?)
You translated the nonsense with absurd. Good. Hope Gilles doesn't read that.
but my German is from 52 years ago !
Even my german is only about 42 years old... :wink:

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #9,014 of 15,986
A german writes in English and gets translated to French by a Belgian (is that correct?)
Yes I am Belgian. That's globalisation for you ! But you are right, it's funny.

By the way, a follow up from Ludovic (HCFR) on the subject of the buzzes (firmware 1.91) :
...I specify, if it helps, that the buzzes are transmitted to the headphones and to the tactile output as well...

Isn't it also high time that we rather talk about something more concrete than my little problem :
I mean the shipping for all the people excluded from the A16 until now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back