Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 27, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #8,161 of 15,989
So what is the highest number of the Kickstarter backers who received shipping notification yet? Did it reach 200 yet?

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #8,162 of 15,989
Based on the existing comments at kickstarter page today, it follows that backer #178 got a mail from James asking for details 23 days ago. This 178 number seems to be in line with a previous message from Smyth Research, where they wrote that 180 units had been sent to backers.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #8,163 of 15,989
So what is the highest number of the Kickstarter backers who received shipping notification yet? Did it reach 200 yet?

From what I saw in February 2020, and what I am aware of in deliveries :

...not much, is it ?

But January 2020 gave us :
+ 1, not a kickbacker

Please contradict my findings, I would love to see some more deliveries...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #8,164 of 15,989
I’m placing an order for this piece of kit , can any owners suggest the best form factor for use at home with my pc ? The headphone stand version or the rectangular box version ?
You should ask yourself if you're going to be taking the unit out and using it to obtain PRIRs in the field. If you are, the rack mount version will be easier to find a case for.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #8,165 of 15,989
Feb 29, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #8,166 of 15,989
OK, so I've had my A16 for 4 weeks now. I started out with making an HPEQ and then transferring some A8 PRIRs into my unit. It was fun and enjoyable pretty much right away and, of course, some PRIRs worked better than others. And, of course, none of them equaled the 7.1.4 PRIR that the Smyth brothers made for me at CanJam NY(at least as far as I recall). Right. So anyway, yesterday I finally got around to making my own quadraphonic PRIR using my home stereo: a pair of Gallo Strada speakers(the original ones, not the Strada 2), Gallo TR3 subwoofer, and a Marantz PM KI Pearl stereo receiver. A stereo 2.0 PRIR was made using all 3 speakers at the same time, and then I turned the sweet spot around 180 degrees, switched the L and R audio inputs to appropriately become R and L and made a rear speaker PRIR. Then I merged the two into the final quad PRIR. Could it have come out better? Of course, especially considering that it was my first attempt. Nonetheless, it sounds AMAZING. MY first listen to the quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon was to die far. I think I need to buy a neck brace to recover from whiplash.

So what have I learned? For one, the A16 is an absolute steal at the Kickstarter price and it would have been worth it even if I had to pay the full 4K(though I'm very glad I didn't have to). I really wish that I had taken on the PRIR production with another pair of hands present(going through the process with a friend on hand is most definitely worth working out in advance if at all possible!). It was slow and painstaking, however, the whole process would definitely go a lot faster the next time around. The handheld mirror really helped to get the ear mics placed properly. It might have helped to watch the PRIR measurement youtube video a few times before getting started and also taking and reviewing notes. Nonetheless, you have to jump into the deep end of the pool eventually. I made a few dumb mistakes that cost me time(e.g., forgetting to change the A16 output from 1-2 to 7-8 for outputting the signals to make the rear speaker PRIR) but no harm no foul. I can't stress enough how important it is to watch and rewatch the videos and to also become comfortable and handy with the proper sequence of selections when using the remote. Other than physically setting things up and then changing things when appropiate, learning and becoming comfortable with navigating the menu took the most time. What else can I add? Oh yeah, playing with the speakers and the room is a must in order to get things optimized to make your ideal virtual room(given your particular circumstances and your equipment and room limitations). For example, I have the L and R Gallo Stradas on low to the floor stands that I purchased years ago from the Mapleshade store. For my PRIR I lifted them up on chairs, spaced the pair ideally in a way that I usually can't do given real life domestic compromises, and aimed each speaker towards me in the sweet spot. I also planned ahead by placing the speakers just so, anticipating that I will be adding a Center speaker to my PRIR at some point in the near future.

Incidentally, I have a very small collection of DTS CD surround recordings that play flawlessly through my J River Media Center software. It looks like I'll need to convert my DSD stereo, 4.0 and 5.1 files to FLAC in order to enjoy listening to them with J River. A project for another time.

BTW, my setup is a Dell laptop connected via HDMI to the A16(HDMI 1). I use J River set up for the Realiser via WAPASI, using the Realiser control panel selection to configure Windows for 7.1 sound. J River is set up for 7.1 as well, and I have selected the front center channel(for now) to be enfolded into the front L and R speakers. J River is also set up to receive DTS with the appropriate audio selections on the Import page.

I've also made up two large plastic bags with smaller bags inside of each. One bag is for ear mics, wrist ground and lanyard(with the ear mics and wrist ground all separate and held together by their own respective colored - not black - twist tie). The other bag is for head tracker equipment(with a separate bag for the head band and accessories and another bag for the set top unit and cable - again using colored twist ties).

Once I get used to just enjoying to 2, 2.1, 4.0 and 5.1 channel recordings in my music collection, I plan to move on to watching movies in 5.1 and 7.1(yeah, I also have to do measurements for side speakers if the Smyths don't get started soon with sending out the promised PRIRs and/or posting them on the Realiser Exchange) and also playing around with my Uptone Audio power supply as a replacement for the one supplied by Smyth Research(is it actually better than the power supply that came with the A16 and can I or anyone hear and/or see a difference? Right now I can't say and I don't know of anyone who's tried it thus far. I already owned the souped up power supply so trying it out won't cost me any extra money, however, I don't see an argument against making the sub 200 dollar investment if it's determined to have improved the sound of what is essentially a 4000 dollar piece of kit.

Ultimately, I'd like to make a non-Atmos 5.1 surround PRIR by bringing my equipment to a more spacious indoor location and then following essentially the same procedure. I also plan to get more cables so that I can make a PRIR from my brother's 5.1 system(he lives in Maryland while I live in Massachusetts) and also make one from a good friend and neighbor's slightly more than modest home theatre setup(I don't know what he has equipment wise but I know for certain that he put a good bit of money into having his dedicated home theatre room redone and installed by professionals). I also anticipate going to the SoCal area at some future date and meeting up with Darin Fong to have one or two PRIRs made based on ultra high end stereo systems.

Regarding my home stereo system, I'm pretty certain that the upgradeitis urge is now a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #8,167 of 15,989
OK, so I've had my A16 for 4 weeks now. I started out with making an HPEQ and then transferring some A8 PRIRs into my unit. It was fun and enjoyable pretty much right away and, of course, some PRIRs worked better than others. And, of course, none of them equaled the 7.1.4 PRIR that the Smyth brothers made for me at CanJam NY(at least as far as I recall). Right. So anyway, yesterday I finally got around to making my own quadraphonic PRIR using my home stereo: a pair of Gallo Strada speakers(the original ones, not the Strada 2), Gallo TR3 subwoofer, and a Marantz PM KI Pearl stereo receiver. A stereo 2.0 PRIR was made using all 3 speakers at the same time, and then I turned the sweet spot around 180 degrees, switched the L and R audio inputs to appropriately become R and L and made a rear speaker PRIR. Then I merged the two into the final quad PRIR. Could it have come out better? Of course, especially considering that it was my first attempt. Nonetheless, it sounds AMAZING. MY first listen to the quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon was to die far. I think I need to buy a neck brace to recover from whiplash.

So what have I learned? For one, the A16 is an absolute steal at the Kickstarter price and it would have been worth it even if I had to pay the full 4K(though I'm very glad I didn't have to). I really wish that I had taken on the PRIR production with another pair of hands present(going through the process with a friend on hand is most definitely worth working out in advance if at all possible!). It was slow and painstaking, however, the whole process would definitely go a lot faster the next time around. The handheld mirror really helped to get the ear mics placed properly. It might have helped to watch the PRIR measurement youtube video a few times before getting started and also taking and reviewing notes. Nonetheless, you have to jump into the deep end of the pool eventually. I made a few dumb mistakes that cost me time(e.g., forgetting to change the A16 output from 1-2 to 7-8 for outputting the signals to make the rear speaker PRIR) but no harm no foul. I can't stress enough how important it is to watch and rewatch the videos and to also become comfortable and handy with the proper sequence of selections when using the remote. Other than physically setting things up and then changing things when appropiate, learning and becoming comfortable with navigating the menu took the most time. What else can I add? Oh yeah, playing with the speakers and the room is a must in order to get things optimized to make your ideal virtual room(given your particular circumstances and your equipment and room limitations). For example, I have the L and R Gallo Stradas on low to the floor stands that I purchased years ago from the Mapleshade store. For my PRIR I lifted them up on chairs, spaced the pair ideally in a way that I usually can't do given real life domestic compromises, and aimed each speaker towards me in the sweet spot. I also planned ahead by placing the speakers just so, anticipating that I will be adding a Center speaker to my PRIR at some point in the near future.

Incidentally, I have a very small collection of DTS CD surround recordings that play flawlessly through my J River Media Center software. It looks like I'll need to convert my DSD stereo, 4.0 and 5.1 files to FLAC in order to enjoy listening to them with J River. A project for another time.

BTW, my setup is a Dell laptop connected via HDMI to the A16(HDMI 1). I use J River set up for the Realiser via WAPASI, using the Realiser control panel selection to configure Windows for 7.1 sound. J River is set up for 7.1 as well, and I have selected the front center channel(for now) to be enfolded into the front L and R speakers. J River is also set up to receive DTS with the appropriate audio selections on the Import page.

I've also made up two large plastic bags with smaller bags inside of each. One bag is for ear mics, wrist ground and lanyard(with the ear mics and wrist ground all separate and held together by their own respective colored - not black - twist tie). The other bag is for head tracker equipment(with a separate bag for the head band and accessories and another bag for the set top unit and cable - again using colored twist ties).

Once I get used to just enjoying to 2, 2.1, 4.0 and 5.1 channel recordings in my music collection, I plan to move on to watching movies in 5.1 and 7.1(yeah, I also have to do measurements for side speakers if the Smyths don't get started soon with sending out the promised PRIRs and/or posting them on the Realiser Exchange) and also playing around with my Uptone Audio power supply as a replacement for the one supplied by Smyth Research(is it actually better than the power supply that came with the A16 and can I or anyone hear and/or see a difference? Right now I can't say and I don't know of anyone who's tried it thus far. I already owned the souped up power supply so trying it out won't cost me any extra money, however, I don't see an argument against making the sub 200 dollar investment if it's determined to have improved the sound of what is essentially a 4000 dollar piece of kit.

Ultimately, I'd like to make a non-Atmos 5.1 surround PRIR by bringing my equipment to a more spacious indoor location and then following essentially the same procedure. I also plan to get more cables so that I can make a PRIR from my brother's 5.1 system(he lives in Maryland while I live in Massachusetts) and also make one from a good friend and neighbor's slightly more than modest home theatre setup(I don't know what he has equipment wise but I know for certain that he put a good bit of money into having his dedicated home theatre room redone and installed by professionals). I also anticipate going to the SoCal area at some future date and meeting up with Darin Fong to have one or two PRIRs made based on ultra high end stereo systems.

Regarding my home stereo system, I'm pretty certain that the upgradeitis urge is now a thing of the past.
I don't get why you made a stereo recording from 3 speakers.

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #8,169 of 15,989
There is a new comment at kickstarter page informing that backer #189 received shipping notification from Smyth Research. It follows that it took 24 days to advance from backer #178 to backer #189. However, backer #186 wrote yesterday that he had not received any mail yet. In conclusion, it is quite difficult to discern what is happening with these shipping notifications.

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #8,170 of 15,989
There is a new comment at kickstarter page informing that backer #189 received shipping notification from Smyth Research. It follows that it took 24 days to advance from backer #178 to backer #189. However, backer #186 wrote yesterday that he had not received any mail yet. In conclusion, it is quite difficult to discern what is happening with these shipping notifications.

All I know is that the closer we get to my number, the slower the fulfilment process. I'm starting to think that the number of orders required to fulfill my pledge is governed by some sort of half-life clock.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #8,172 of 15,989
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #8,174 of 15,989
Feb 29, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #8,175 of 15,989
#186 commented on KickStarter to say that his unit will be shipped next week... from #189, only 14 units left before my turn... As Sordel says, it seems to be slowing down while my turn is approaching... and Smyth Research still remains as silent as usual about shipping progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back