Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #8,146 of 16,011
I wrote to James a few days ago to ask for an update since it doesn't seem to be moving much lately. Of course, i didn't get an answer (i would honestly have been surprised to get one).
Yet, they seem to have a great sense of humour at Smyth Research because on the About page on their website, the short description they give about James say :

:thinking::joy:

No kidding! Ha ha! I can picture it clearly:

Jim-Carrey-furiously-typing.gif

This is Mr. Jim furiously churning out his daily "stream" of heavy traffic e-mails and updates to all the happy and satisfied SR customers.

giphy.gif

My house is under attack from a virtual cyclone of SR e-mails and updates! I can hardly keep up with them...

Now, this is me trying to catch up on my latest batch of all the awesome cornucopia of Smyth Research correspondence, in both e-mail and snail mail formats :):) :

giphy.webp

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #8,147 of 16,011
I can provide a Philips Pronto NG configuration file (.pcf) with all the IR codes.
Could this be sent to Logitech so that they could include those codes in their database so that every Harmony-User can just select the A16 as a device in the database (as it is already the case with the A8)?

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #8,148 of 16,011
Could this be sent to Logitech so that they could include those codes in their database so that every Harmony-User can just select the A16 as a device in the database (as it is already the case with the A8)?
That's possible, but I don't have a Harmony anymore. If I understand Rene Lou's post correctly, the A8 codes should already work, but I'm not sure if that covers all buttons of the A16 remote. If some buttons are missing or not working, just sending in the .pcf is definitively worth a try, but, as I said, you may have to sit down and manually copy the codes into a text file if they can't deal with .pcf files:
The A16 reacts to the A8 remote since the A16 is using the same device number, the same command numbers and the same IR frequency as the A8 does, but since the A8 remote sends the commands quickly repeating, the A16 quickly increases or lowers e.g. the volume, moves through the items on the menus with adj+ or adj- etc. - but just a little bit to fast with the A8 IR codes. E.g. pressing the 'down' key on the A8 remote just briefly moves the A16 cursor two lines down at once on a menu (so we can't use the A8 remote codes for up/down or adj+/- etc. since you will not be able to select a specific entry/line).

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #8,149 of 16,011
Yes, I got also an A8 and noticed that the remote works but too fast as Rene said. And the A8 remote lacks separate Volume rockers, so you can't use it to change volume unfortunately. But at least we have the proof that the missing key repeat function is not the fault of the A16 itself, but the (crappy) remote.
I could ask the guys in the german harmonyremoteforum if they know what to do with such a pcf-file and how to send it to Logitech.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #8,151 of 16,011
Gilles Gérin announced on his Facebook page (@smyth.realiser.fr) that all the preorders that went through him were now delivered. I don't know how many units all in all, though.
Let's hope that with finishing this "parallel delivery stream" they can now speed up the stream of kickstarter units and next the remaining preorder units.

Feb 25, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #8,152 of 16,011
Gilles Gérin announced on his Facebook page (@smyth.realiser.fr) that all the preorders that went through him were now delivered. I don't know how many units all in all, though.

What I know of :
- End of August 2019 (source : Gilles Gerin on HCFR forum) : ...due to the complex testing procedures of each A16, Smyth Research is only able to finalize 10 to 20 units per week, including 2 to 3 reserved for AV-in (his company). The distribution procedure, which will begin next week, will therefore be long...
- 23rd August 2019 : delivery of the 1st A16 from Gilles Gerin
- Gilles Gerin announced around 1st November 2019 : ...half of pre-orders are delivered...
- He emailed on 19th January 2020 : ...80% of orders and pre-orders are delivered...
- Like you said on 23rd February 2020 (source : facebook) : ...all A16 are delivered...

As to the quantity, it appears to be a well kept secret. I have been able to trace only 13 of them !

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #8,155 of 16,011
Hi all and thanks for all the updates from members
regarding PRIRs would this type of software from Genelec worth further exploration for potential use with the Realiser?

https://www.genelec.com/aural-id
A longer answer is:
What you get from Genelec is 'your personal HRTF as an internationally recognised SOFA file format, which supports 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz sample rates and contains data for both ears in 836 different orientations'.
Someone with mathematical and programming skills could use this in combination with a mathematical model of a theoretical ideal room with theoretical ideal loudspeakers to calculate sweep responses (for all possible lookangles that the A16 can handle).
If there is a way to 'inject' those sweep responses into the microphone inputs of the Realiser (or if Smyth will implement the 'generate PRIR function' that Stephen Smyth once mentioned on the kickstarter comments page, reading the sweep responses from an SD card rather than from the microphone inputs) then a PRIR - based on your personal HRTF - could be generated of beforementioned theoretical ideal room with theoretical ideal loudspeakers.
Some choices - and maybe some parameterization - could be made regarding the mathematical model of the theoretical ideal room and loudspeakers:
Shape and size of the room, reflective properties of the walls, ceiling and floor, dispersion pattern of the loudspeakers (point source "4π" or limited opening angle, line source 360° or limited opening angle, ...). What is ideal may be different for different recordings.

If this was realised it could be a super solution for all people that don't know how to get a PRIR measured. You would only have to aquire this sofa file with your HRTF once and could generate PRIRs of as many different variations of such theoretical ideal room/speaker combinations you want.

Of course one big question is: how accurate is the HRTF that you would get from Genelec?

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #8,156 of 16,011
I’m placing an order for this piece of kit , can any owners suggest the best form factor for use at home with my pc ? The headphone stand version or the rectangular box version ?

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #8,157 of 16,011
Thank you audiohobbit and sander99 - hobbit for the link and sander99 for the very informative and interesting reply. With regards to Genelec’s ability to accurately provide an HRTF I would not be surprised if it was very accurate. I’m basing this assumption on my experience with Genelec‘s loudspeaker manager GLM kit. I’ve used it with excellent results with my Genelec 8431s in a variety of rooms with much improved results.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #8,158 of 16,011
Thank you audiohobbit and sander99 - hobbit for the link and sander99 for the very informative and interesting reply. With regards to Genelec’s ability to accurately provide an HRTF I would not be surprised if it was very accurate. I’m basing this assumption on my experience with Genelec‘s loudspeaker manager GLM kit. I’ve used it with excellent results with my Genelec 8431s in a variety of rooms with much improved results.
The consensus seems to be that direct recording at the ear is superior to models made from pictures or even 3D scans. at some point the opposite will inevitably be true, but we're just not there yet AFAIK.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #8,159 of 16,011
I’m placing an order for this piece of kit , can any owners suggest the best form factor for use at home with my pc ? The headphone stand version or the rectangular box version ?

I bought the vertical stand because of the original design only and because it fits with my overall decoration. Apart from that, think about the height of the screen if the Realiser is next to you (as is mine). It is much more easier to read at eye level.

Another point is that the circuit boards are more accessible from the horizontal version than the vertical one. Think about the future, whether or not we would have to replace something inside ?

May I ask you whether you bought from "realiser.in" ; I mean "Audio Note India" ?

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #8,160 of 16,011
I bought the vertical stand because of the original design only and because it fits with my overall decoration. Apart from that, think about the height of the screen if the Realiser is next to you (as is mine). It is much more easier to read at eye level.

Another point is that the circuit boards are more accessible from the horizontal version than the vertical one. Think about the future, whether or not we would have to replace something inside ?

May I ask you whether you bought from "realiser.in" ; I mean "Audio Note India" ?
Hi Thanks for the response , I have completed inquiries and will place the order within a week at best ( it’s a lot of money , waiting for some payments to hit ) yes it’s from Audio Note India .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back