Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 19, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #8,116 of 15,987
That's one of the reasons that I'm so annoyed with Smyth Research for not providing the PRIRs that they measured for various people at their show demonstrations.

I do have a suggestion for those people who have and are able to enjoy Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head software. If you find that there are one or more OOYH presets that work for you then I would advise you to find the equivalent PRIR on the google drive and try it out. You have nothing to lose.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q9OqyUNCKvAiTdRdWUJ29MqPHxauiohN
Darrin had the Magico Q7s from Brooks Berdan. Anyone have that PRIR?

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #8,117 of 15,987
I suppose the realiser exchange will also provide us with PRIR from artificial heads, unless mistaken of course. Should we then disregard them ?
Not only from artificial heads, also from other people's heads. And not all for sale, also some for free (we can exchange our own PRIRs there, but of course we can now already do that for example via the google drive).
So, someone can get lucky and find a PRIR from someone with a similar head / similar HRTF.
And the site will offer the possibility to personalise one PRIR with another. That is: if you have a good working personal made PRIR of a not so good system (or even measured with only a tweeter, because the biggest individual differences in HRTF are in the higher frequency range), you can use that to personalise a not-personal made PRIR (called a BRIR actually) from a high quality system/room for you. Also a function/service will be offered to change the reverberation characteristics of a PRIR made in a not-so-good room. (At least: those are the plans).

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #8,118 of 15,987
sorry but only with an artificial head, I am not that much of a purist, no offense meant
This has nothing to do with being a purist and everything to do with our respective bodies. If your own happens to be exquisitely average like the dummy head is supposed to be, then you'll get good consistent results from dummy head impulses. I've long realized that I'm not that lucky and that I'd rather have custom impulses from inside a fridge than dummy head impulses from the 'coolest' rooms and gears in the world. Obviously that's my very subjective situation and my preference goes that way because dummy head captures result in some inconsistencies for me that are either disturbing or on occasion, even tiring for me.

With that said, obviously most people will have HRTF close to average because that's what average is.^_^ So hopefully many people already get a very enjoyable and consistent experience with dummy head captures. that alone justifies having more of them made available.
And there is even another level of potential improvement(if Smyth implements it), where we could imagine giving say a 5.1 room we made ourselves, and we could take at least some variables to implement onto some non custom PRIR. Like the interaural delay exactly for our head size instead of the dummy's. Or the ILD(perhaps only in a limited frequency range?) taken from a shorten impulse to only keep the direct impact of the listener's head on the FR at the ear further away from a given speaker. I imagine we might get a more convincing result without completely wrecking the original room characteristics or the FR of the speakers in it.
And that's only me making intuitive guesses, mathematically there is probably some even fancier possibilities that I know nothing about. But they do. and as this can become an extra source of money for them, I figure they'll try to make it happen.

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #8,119 of 15,987
Not only from artificial heads, also from other people's heads. And not all for sale, also some for free (we can exchange our own PRIRs there, but of course we can now already do that for example via the google drive).
So, someone can get lucky and find a PRIR from someone with a similar head / similar HRTF.
And the site will offer the possibility to personalise one PRIR with another. That is: if you have a good working personal made PRIR of a not so good system (or even measured with only a tweeter, because the biggest individual differences in HRTF are in the higher frequency range), you can use that to personalise a not-personal made PRIR (called a BRIR actually) from a high quality system/room for you. Also a function/service will be offered to change the reverberation characteristics of a PRIR made in a not-so-good room. (At least: those are the plans).
Arghhh, I didn't see this before posting. So they plan to do it already and I successfully guessed something that I could have just read on the site. Yeah me...

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #8,120 of 15,987
Thanks to everyone anyway for your help but I have not succeeded in converting my beloved Prir A8 to the A16 despite the last update.

Therefore, a question for the experts: Is it possible to recover a prir on a preset of the A8, ie the decapsulated file Preset, either via the A8 or manually under windows because on my A8 I have the more the memory, only the preset. Thank you in advance !

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #8,121 of 15,987
UPS asked me to fill three forms: TSCA 2019 Single Entry, lacey act form, DOT form
Can anyone who received A16 in US show me how to do it? Or these are wrong forms for me?

Update: Just did a search in the thread. It looks like that I need to fill TSCA only....

Attachments

• DOT FORM.PDF
    190.5 KB · Views: 0
  • lacey act form.pdf
    318.2 KB · Views: 0
  • TSCA 2019 Single Entry.pdf
    301.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #8,122 of 15,987
Did you know that Head-fi is building their own headphone measurement lab :

...quote"The founder and editor of Head-Fi.org, Jude Mansilla, regularly writes, and also produces video reviews, of high-quality audio products and therefore needs equipment for swift and precise headphone testing, which is easy to handle and ensures repeatable measurements. So the natural choice for the team behind Head-Fi was to contact G.R.A.S. to discuss options for precise, accurate, high-volume headphone testing"...unquote

See also : https://www.gras.dk/news/37-judemansilla

Does it help us in any way?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #8,124 of 15,987
Does it help us in any way?
Not in any way directly related to PRIR or HPEQ if that is what you were hoping.
Just another source for general headphone specs. That could be used to help judge a headphone's suitability for use with the Realiser.
(For example: A big dip - wide enough to matter - in the frequency response that probably can't be corrected without overloading the headphone would indicate that headphone probably is less suitable.)

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #8,125 of 15,987

I tried google drive as suggested and picked 1 out of so many : the one from Rene Lou "9.1.6 ch Nova etc." but without the manLOUD. It sounds better than my manLOUDED Surrey room.
The next step for me is to Manloud this new BRIR/PRIR and again compare. You really should have time to spare...but it is worth it !

It really helps forgetting for a moment the disappointment of no realiser exchange at all.

Personally since I am watching many DVD series in Dolby 5.1, I need something to boost the overall effect (it is no Atmos action movie after all). That is why I chose the upmix effect from the Realiser.

Thank you for the tip !

PS : some more info about the Realiser A8 used by the BBC at https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2011-11-elbow-in-3d-sound in 2011
...The space inside one of Radio 2's outside broadcast trucks is very limited with nowhere near enough space for the 16 speaker set up we have in our listening room. To get around this we decided to use a technology called binaural reproduction using a system developed by Smyth Research called a Realiser. This box allows you to simulate surround sound over headphones. It's fairly complicated to set up, but it does a pretty good job of making it sound like you're in your multi-speaker listening room, when you're actually listening over headphones. Normally the Realiser is used to monitor 5.1 surround sound, but we calibrated the system with a cube of 8 speakers to allow us to monitor sound in 3D. It even has a head tracker to keep sounds horizontally stationary relative to small lateral movements of your head...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #8,126 of 15,987
What have I missed? I can no longer find the setting to enable use of the # key on the remote to trigger a screen capture to BMP and writing it to the SD card.

I want to do something at the moment and I want to capture the complete sequence of steps as pictures, but when last I used this "screen capture" via # key I obviously then turned it off. I now want to turn it back on, but can no longer find it where it once was.

Back in September 2019, shortly after I got my A16 (and just around the time when firmware 1.60 came out) I wrote to James to ask how this function was supposed to work. He wrote back:

"Settings > System > Factory tests > Press enter to proceed > navigate down to "Save LCD screen as BMP" item and press ADJ+/- to turn on (switch will change to green). Then BACK out. The # key is now activated as the BMP-generator key."

Well, I can no longer find the "Save LCD screen as BMP" item in the Factory Tests display. Was it moved to another screen location with a recent firmware update? It doesn't seem to be on an functional for me right now, so it clearly must be in an OFF state and I want to turn it out.

What happened to this option? Where is it now?

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #8,129 of 15,987
Thanks to everyone anyway for your help but I have not succeeded in converting my beloved Prir A8 to the A16 despite the last update.
I would like to help. I have just successfully completed the exact process you are trying to work through, and I would like to provide a "recipe", including step-by-step pictures as well as written instructions. But I'm still not clear on exactly what your status is:

(1) Your A16 firmware MUST be at 1.81. Have you successfully updated your A16 to that level? If not, what is the problem you are facing that prevents the firmware update process from completing? We need to get your A16 firmware updated to 1.81 first. Are you there, or not?

(2) Assuming your A16 is at 1.81 firmware, the migration of A8 PRIR and HPEQ files to the A16 is a straightforward procedure with several steps. The initial steps relate to preparing the microSD card for use in the A16.

As has been previously stated, the A8 files to be imported to the A16 must be in the "version 2 format", meaning they have file names PRIR2xxx and HPEQ2xxx. This is the standard naming convention used by the latest firmware (August 3, 2011) for all A8 units when writing out PRIR and HPEQ files to the SD flash card. Internally A8 units can use either original PRIR0xxx/HPEQ0xxx files or PRIR2xxx/HPEQ2xxx files. But the A16 can only import the new PRIR2xxx/HPEQ2xxx format.files.

So if you have the older format files being used internally on your A8, you must first WRITE THEM OUT TO SD FLASH CARD in order to get the old format files converted to new format, so that they can then be imported into the A16. Once written out to SD flash media on the A8, you would then read them back from the SD flash media into your computer so that you could then write them out from the computer to a microSD flash card for use in the A16.

(3) Assuming you now have new format PRIR2xxx/HPEQ2xxx files available on your computer

(a) format the microSD flash drive as FAT32,

(b) create a "parent folder" at the root of the microSD flash drive named \Realiser,

(c) create two sub-folders under \Realiser named \PRIRS and \HPEQS,

(d) copy your A8 PRIR files (with standard 8.3 file names PRIR2xxx) to be imported into the A16 from computer into \Realiser\PRIRS

(e) copy your A8 HPEQ files (with standard 8.3 file names HPEQ2xxx) to be imported into the A16 from computer into \Realiser\HPEQs

(f) "safely remove hardware", EJECT the microSD flash drive, and you're ready to use it on the A16.

By way of example, the new PRIR I just created using my A8 is named PRIR2011.SVS. I want to import it into the A16. Here is what my microSD flash card looks like after following the above steps (formatted as FAT32 with "label" of SMYTH), with PRIR2011.SVS placed in the \Realiser\PRIRS sub-folder:

Eh5luQ.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #8,130 of 15,987
I would like to help. I have just successfully completed the exact process you are trying to work through, and I would like to provide a "recipe", including step-by-step pictures as well as written instructions. But I'm still not clear on exactly what your status is:

(1) Your A16 firmware MUST be at 1.81. Have you successfully updated your A16 to that level? If not, what is the problem you are facing that prevents the firmware update process from completing? We need to get your A16 firmware updated to 1.81 first. Are you there, or not?

(2) Assuming your A16 is at 1.81 firmware, the migration of A8 PRIR and HPEQ files to the A16 is a straightforward procedure with several steps. The initial steps relate to preparing the microSD card for use in the A16.

As has been previously stated, the A8 files to be imported to the A16 must be in the "version 2 format", meaning they have file names PRIR2xxx and HPEQ2xxx. This is the standard naming convention used by the latest firmware (August 3, 2011) for all A8 units when writing out PRIR and HPEQ files to the SD flash card. Internally A8 units can use either original PRIR0xxx/HPEQ0xxx files or PRIR2xxx/HPEQ2xxx files. But the A16 can only import the new PRIR2xxx/HPEQ2xxx format.files.

So if you have the older format files being used internally on your A8, you must first WRITE THEM OUT TO SD FLASH CARD in order to get the old format files converted to new format, so that they can then be imported into the A16. Once written out to SD flash media on the A8, you would then read them back from the SD flash media into your computer so that you could then write them out from the computer to a microSD flash card for use in the A16.

(3) Assuming you now have new format PRIR2xxx/HPEQ2xxx files available on your computer

(a) format the microSD flash drive as FAT32,

(b) create a "parent folder" at the root of the microSD flash drive named \Realiser,

(c) create two sub-folders under \Realiser named \PRIRS and \HPEQS,

(d) copy your A8 PRIR files (with standard 8.3 file names PRIR2xxx) to be imported into the A16 from computer into \Realiser\PRIRS

(e) copy your A8 HPEQ files (with standard 8.3 file names HPEQ2xxx) to be imported into the A16 from computer into \Realiser\HPEQs

(f) "safely remove hardware", EJECT the microSD flash drive, and you're ready to use it on the A16.

By way of example, the new PRIR I just created using my A8 is named PRIR2011.SVS. I want to import it into the A16. Here is what my microSD flash card looks like after following the above steps (formatted as FAT32 with "label" of SMYTH), with PRIR2011.SVS placed in the \Realiser\PRIRS sub-folder:

Eh5luQ.jpg
Also, don’t forget that you next have to set up your imported PRIR for Dolby Atmos, DTS and PCM, as needed(although DTS is currently unusable).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back