Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #7,771 of 15,986
Just curious... I just updated the firmware from 1.75 to 1.80 to 1.81 with factory reset between both 1.75 to 1.80 and 1.80 to 1.81 just to make sure it was all reset properly... during the 1.75 to 1.80 at the end of the reset the A16 was locked up as in the remote did not work and the front panel knobs would not adjust for turn the unit off... had to unplug the power brick and then it came back just fine when I plugged the power jack back in... then I performed the 1.80 to 1.81 update and it went fine... did the factory reset at the end and everything this time worked fine.. did not have to pull the power supply this time... so I have a question for you... when I was complete with the firmware update I hooked up my iphone to the stereo jacks and noticed right off that the gain of the A16 amps were very high to the point I am now hearing some buzzing from the cable... if you unplug the iphone and leave the cable hooked to the A16 you can hear the noise pretty loud... so its not the iphone its the gain of the amps in the A16... anybody else noticing this behavior... also I tested this on HDMI1 and do not notice the higher gain of the amps though the volume level is the same.... and the bass on both is much stronger too...

not sure what the firmware update did but its very noticeable that it has changed the way it sounds... anybody else hearing this ?

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #7,772 of 15,986
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #7,773 of 15,986
Dixter, to me this sounds like a humming caused by a grounding problem. Can happen with analogue connections.
Especially when you leave an "open" cable conmected, this could happen. For example this happens with my Bassme with a cable not connnected to a device. Should not happen with digital connections.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #7,774 of 15,986
Happy new year to everyone!

What is the latest status regarding A16 delivery?

Did not found any info from a new owner in the last three pages.

Are all kick starter units shipped?

What about pre-ordered units?

Has the initial shipping rate increased?

Looks like new firmware releases are shipped more often than physical units. :wink:

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #7,775 of 15,986
Are all kick starter units shipped?
No, last number I heard was 125, and there are at least over 300, I have claculated once based on the total pledge amount that it could maximal be 374 A16s (some backers ordered more than 1 unit).

Plus an unknown number of A16s has been shipped to
-some people who pre-ordered via the french dealer
-some people who payed full price, or payed the difference with what they already payed
-maybe other unknown customers in the pro audio world for example(?)
And nobody here knows how many pre-orders there are (I mailed James Smyth about that, I got no answer).

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #7,777 of 15,986
@batfier

KS #131 received his unit 5 days ago... Still 71 to go and then it will be my turn... If 10 per week were shipped, it could happen before the end of february but it seems they ship less than that...

Are they doing everything themselves over there? Hopefully they have nothing to do with Chinese companies which will be closed soon for about two weeks to celebrate Chinese New Year.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #7,778 of 15,986
No, last number I heard was 125, and there are at least over 300, I have claculated once based on the total pledge amount that it could maximal be 374 A16s (some backers ordered more than 1 unit).

Plus an unknown number of A16s has been shipped to
-some people who pre-ordered via the french dealer
-some people who payed full price, or payed the difference with what they already payed
-maybe other unknown customers in the pro audio world for example(?)
And nobody here knows how many pre-orders there are (I mailed James Smyth about that, I got no answer).

Thank you.

Shippment started mid of August 2019.

125 units in 4 months. Giving same speed all backers units shipped in August 2020?

So a lot of doubts if 2020 will be enough for "non French pre orders" to get their units.....

But, may be the A16 will be full functional until then with firmware 9.xx...

Or the A32 will be already out earlier...

:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #7,779 of 15,986
I sorta got the ipad mini 3 working but it wasn't a good way to watch/listen... I had to start the movie and then plug in the HDMI adapter a few times before the picture would stay and sound directed to the A16 and when it did it was not Dolby Surround like my newer iphone puts out Dolby surround to the A16 but of course the ipad and iphone plays music perfectly... thats with the HDMI or the Stereo input of the A16...

If you say „I had to start the movie and then plug in the HDMI adapter a few times before the picture would stay and sound directed to the A16“ is this plug-in and out again. Because I tried but Netflix always went to the mode where Netflix tells you the film is shown on your TV. I had like 2 minutes when it worked but only for the intro and then it was gone again. Any tips? I use an iPad pro 12,9 2nd generation with lightening.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #7,781 of 15,986
Just a quick poll because I’m curious: what is everyone’s favorite listening room to watch movies in, BBC or Surrey?
I assume you mean who likes which of the two generic PRIRs best, not who likes which room best in reality? (Because only someone who has been in both rooms - or had personal PRIR measurements in both rooms - could know that).
What would you gain from knowing who likes which generic PRIR best? It would heavily depend on how well (or not) each person's personal HRTF matches with the HRTFs of the two different dummy heads that were used to measure the generic PRIRs.
It would tell you nothing about which PRIR matches your personal HRTF best, and nothing about how the real rooms sound.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #7,782 of 15,986
I prefer the Surrey Room because it has a greater speaker distance than the BBC room. I think about half a metre more. Since I have a 2.7 m wide screen and sit 3 m I need the speakers in a similar distance.
I didn't do a manLOUD HPEQ for the BBC room but I heard it immediately that speakers are closer than in the Surrey room. That's the reason why I don't bother with the BBC room anymore.

See infos here on both rooms: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smy...equests-tips-and-tricks.915293/#post-15220670

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #7,783 of 15,986
I assume you mean who likes which of the two generic PRIRs best, not who likes which room best in reality? (Because only someone who has been in both rooms - or had personal PRIR measurements in both rooms - could know that).
What would you gain from knowing who likes which generic PRIR best? It would heavily depend on how well (or not) each person's personal HRTF matches with the HRTFs of the two different dummy heads that were used to measure the generic PRIRs.
It would tell you nothing about which PRIR matches your personal HRTF best, and nothing about how the real rooms sound.
+1
Everyone's ears are so unique that they are even better biometrics than fingerprints:smile_phones:
https://www.wired.com/2010/11/ears-biometric-identification/

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #7,784 of 15,986
Just a quick poll because I’m curious: what is everyone’s favorite listening room to watch movies in, BBC or Surrey?

I like the BBC room more than the Surrey. However both are not completely satisfying for me.
Hopefully I can make a good PRIR for myself soon.
For the BBC room the front speaker stand narrower but in my opinion the influence of the room is lower.
Made two ManLouds each for both rooms BTW (L+C+R and only C).

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #7,785 of 15,986
I like the BBC room more than the Surrey. However both are not completely satisfying for me.
Hopefully I can make a good PRIR for myself soon.
For the BBC room the front speaker stand narrower but in my opinion the influence of the room is lower.
Made two ManLouds each for both rooms BTW (L+C+R and only C).

Same for me. The size of the Surrey room feels wrong for my small living room. With both rooms, I'm not getting as convincing an effect as I got when I demoed the Realiser and had a custom PRIR made. Hopefully we can get those soon (or maybe some shop in NYC will offer to make PRIRs for a fee...)

I tried to use manLoud, but it is surprisingly difficult to compare the loudness of two different frequencies. I was not satisfied with the result I got. AutoEQ was better.

One cool thing... After using the A-16 for a few days and watching a bunch of movies, I turned off the SVS processing while watching a two-channel program on TV. I ended up turning it back on almost immediately, because having the sound in my head now sounds totally wrong. My brain now expects to hear the sound like it is coming from the person speaking, like real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back