Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #7,066 of 15,989
Hello,

Just to let you know that on the Smyth Research web site, at the bottom of the web page under "warranty" :
can not be clicked on, thus not yet available on site...it might even be considered illegal in Europe (at least before Brexit). And still, they sell online.

You Gene

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor

Realiser A16 World wide Warranty

Any Realiser A16 system delivered as a reward under this campaign will be covered by our worldwide 12 month warranty covering parts and labour, but not shipping.

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #7,067 of 15,989
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor

Realiser A16 World wide Warranty

Any Realiser A16 system delivered as a reward under this campaign will be covered by our worldwide 12 month warranty covering parts and labour, but not shipping.

Thank you for the link. But not everybody is a kickstarter.
I went to have a look at the link and noticed that it says :
...quote " Realiser A16 shipping carton contents : Realiser A16, etc " ...unquote and at the end "12 months warranty card".

Anyone receiving such a card on delivery?

I also noticed on audiohobbit special page : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smy...ions-feature-requests-tips-and-tricks.915293/
under the heading Questions : ...- As a kickstarter backer we don't get an invoice. How do we claim warranty, if necessary?...

It is only a pending item in the list.

Again I am just asking. I don't want to sue them. I am just curious as to our recourse should it go that far.

You Gene

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #7,068 of 15,989
As a kickstarter backer we don't get an invoice. How do we claim warranty, if necessary?...
aside from the 12 month warranty that they offer as the manufacturer, the products are also covered by the minimum 24 month statutory warranty in the EU. If you're worried Smyth might not honor these, just make sure to keep a copy of the UPS tracking info. It's unlikely that they'll make you jump through hoops to make warranty claims, after all, they have your name and the serial number, and they know when they shipped the device.

I'm not sure if Kickstarter "sales" are covered by the distance selling act (they should), but that would imply that you may have months after receiving the A16 to return it for a full refund if you don't receive a written notice regarding your rights.

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #7,069 of 15,989
Wonder who would want to give back his A16.... - it‘s by far the best piece of equipment I know of, regardless of price, even with non-complete firmware at the moment.

Just finished my first A16 9.1.6 JMlab Nova Utopia BE PRIR with six overhead fullrange speakers, each more then 100kg in weight..... luckily, virtual high speakers can not fall on you.
:smile_phones:

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #7,070 of 15,989
aside from the 12 month warranty that they offer as the manufacturer, the products are also covered by the minimum 24 month statutory warranty in the EU. If you're worried Smyth might not honor these, just make sure to keep a copy of the UPS tracking info. It's unlikely that they'll make you jump through hoops to make warranty claims, after all, they have your name and the serial number, and they know when they shipped the device.

I'm not sure if Kickstarter "sales" are covered by the distance selling act (they should), but that would imply that you may have months after receiving the A16 to return it for a full refund if you don't receive a written notice regarding your rights.
Would that 24 month warranty cover purchasers outside the EU?

Nov 1, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #7,072 of 15,989
By looking at kickstarter site, it follows that
200 backers pledged £720, Realiser A16 (Headstand or 2U version)
96 backers pledged £800, Realiser A16 (Headstand or 2U version)
17 backers pledged £900, Realiser A16 (Headstand or 2U version)
16 backers pledged £1, No Realiser A16 unit
So, actually there are 313 backers entitled to receive Realiser A16 units.

I purchased a unit when it was on preorder at around. $1,500 USD. Does anyone know if I am included on this Kickstarter list or if preorders get shipped after all the KS orders are fulfilled?

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #7,074 of 15,989
I'm a little bit preoccupied myself at the moment.
I asked Stephen about headtracking.

Vertical headtracking will take some time to complete. Both processors will be needed for vertical headtracking, so it will work only for one user, this means User B will be totally disabled.
Maybe in the future it will work for both when they optimized the algorithms, but I wouldn't count on that.

They can at least generate async measurement signals for vertical headtracking. I still have to ask about synchronous mode and how many vertical look angles are needed when you have more than 3 horizontal look angles.

However he proposed a vertical offset mode: If the PRIR contains vertical measurements then a PRIR could be generated with a fixed vertical offset. This could be useful when you lean back on your sofa and the Soundstage tilts upwards by x degrees (center not in the middle of your tv/screen anymore) so you can create a PRIR with a fixed minus x degrees offset so the Soundstage will be vertically centered again when leaning back.
What do you think about that?
I don't know how much work this will be to implement, I think it's not that important at the moment, but the vertical measuring signals are.

Optical headtracking will work for both users some time in the future when they release a new HT firmware.
That's good news.

Aside from that it seems that I have some problems with one of my 2 head tops.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #7,075 of 15,989
Nope, and as far as I'm aware not every EU country has 24 months warranty, some only have 12.
Nope what?

And you're mistaken about the 12/24 months. It's at least 24 months in the entire EU, however, this type of warranty only covers defects that were, at least at their root, present when the item was sold, and the burden to prove that the defect was present may shift to the customer after only 6 months, depending on the country you live in.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/busine...s-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #7,076 of 15,989
Nope what?

And you're mistaken about the 12/24 months. It's at least 24 months in the entire EU, however, this type of warranty only covers defects that were, at least at their root, present when the item was sold, and the burden to prove that the defect was present may shift to the customer after only 6 months, depending on the country you live in.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/busine...s-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

Nope to the poster right above my post.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #7,077 of 15,989
So happy!

“Hi Reiner,
Thanks for getting in touch and for sharing your order details.
Your unit will be shipped out to you early next week, and you'll receive a tracking number once the shipment has been collected.
Thanks for your ongoing support.
Regards
James”

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #7,078 of 15,989
So happy!

“Hi Reiner,
Thanks for getting in touch and for sharing your order details.
Your unit will be shipped out to you early next week, and you'll receive a tracking number once the shipment has been collected.
Thanks for your ongoing support.
Regards
James”

Kickstarter or preorder?
How come you had t write to get it shipped?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #7,079 of 15,989
I got an email today with a tracking number for my BassMe unit ! I should get it on Monday... The KickStarter campaign finished in June, the estimated shipping date was November, so they respected their timeline, that's great !
As for the A16, Reiner was backer #98 so, it's nearly half way till my unit is shipped... if this pace is kept, i can expect it in the 2nd half of january...
Soon it will have been 3 months since the shipping started and we are still expecting the weekly update ! (but at least we know that shippings are progressing, so there's that !)

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #7,080 of 15,989
I got an email today with a tracking number for my BassMe unit ! I should get it on Monday... The KickStarter campaign finished in June, the estimated shipping date was November, so they respected their timeline, that's great !
As for the A16, Reiner was backer #98 so, it's nearly half way till my unit is shipped... if this pace is kept, i can expect it in the 2nd half of january...
Soon it will have been 3 months since the shipping started and we are still expecting the weekly update ! (but at least we know that shippings are progressing, so there's that !)

Thanks. Yep, at least we have that. Still half a year for me or so at that pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back