1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470
472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481
Next

Last
  1. sander99
    Here are a few hints:
    (But also chack the manual of course. And note that you have to change connections all the time because you have to use the appropiate analog A16 output channel each time, that's the downside of this method.)

2. frank2908
  3. romainhc
    Thx !

I've already made some stereo PRIRS to make a 9.1.6 listening room from my setup. I'll try this way.

4. sahmen
    Great: It has been 11 weeks/77 days since August 12th when the shipping was announced. This amounts to approximately 8 to 9 units shipped per week (or 442 in 52 weeks), which means that at this rate, it might take until May 2020, for them to complete serving the 330 KS backers, and then start shipping the pre-orders.

These are all estimates based on uncertain assumptions, but with all that said, I wish they could bump up the speed of shipping to about 15-20 units a week, at least... Wouldn't that be nice? As a person on the list of preorders, my answer is a resounding yes, of course.

Sigh!

5. esimms86
    One caveat is that you’re only taking shipped Kickstarter units into account. There is also an untold number of full price units that have shipped. Anyway, I’m KS backer #174 so I can certainly empathize with you. I was hoping for a present from Santa but now January looks to be more realistic. Of course, with a total of 330 KS backers, the shipping of pre-orders, unfortunately, is much further down the road.

sahmen likes this.
  6. GeorgeA
    By looking at kickstarter site, it follows that
    200 backers pledged £720, Realiser A16 (Headstand or 2U version)
    96 backers pledged £800, Realiser A16 (Headstand or 2U version)
    17 backers pledged £900, Realiser A16 (Headstand or 2U version)
    16 backers pledged £1, No Realiser A16 unit
    So, actually there are 313 backers entitled to receive Realiser A16 units.

7. sander99

8. esimms86
    I've spent a good amount of time this afternoon reviewing and transcribing and partially explaining and highlighting the first two "Basics" videos posted by Smyth Research. I hope that others here will find this useful. Although the pair of videos only run about 6 minutes together in total, it has still been a time intensive process to get this done. As I personally don't intend to take this somewhat painstaking project any farther, it would be absolutely awesome if other folks on the thread could commit to doing the same for the other instructional videos. One person per video would suffice to get them all transcribed. Also, @audiohobbit is welcome to put these transcriptions wherever he sees fit in efforts to make them most accessible to other A16 users. Lastly, if there are errors found in the transcriptions people should feel free to correct them. Please note that many people may find it useful to read through and review these transcriptions before and after viewing the videos. Thanks and enjoy!

Smyth Research A16

*The very first thing you need to do is to familiarize yourself with the remote control. The buttons and their functions are outlined on page 24 of the downloadable manual(User manual rev 0.91 AUG 29 2019).

It will be useful to have this page open on an electronic device when going through the tutorials.

*You can download the user manual here:

https://smyth-research.com/downloads/

Basics Part 1

Using text entry to personalize the user name and the headphone model.

Although only two users can listen at the same time, the A16 can store 16 presets under 8 different user names. This allows individual so customize their listening experience without impacting other users.

The factory default names are User 1, User 2, etc., up through User 8. In this example we will customize the first two user names.

• You are starting at the Home Page. Push down arrow key button to scroll through menu and use(Menu ENTER Command key) to make selections from the drop down menu in this order: (1)Settings, (2)Users, (3)User 1

• Press the ENTER key to enter text mode. The UP ARROW key selects upper case characters(green cursor) and the DOWN ARROW key selects lower case(red cursor). The LEFT and RIGHT ARROW keys move the cursor left or right, one space at a time.

• Use the Alpha numeric keys (number/letter keys) to select the letters that you need to use for your chosen name(s). Press the number/letter key one or more times as needed to cycle through the letter options until you arrive at the letter you want. After you select each letter you should move the cursor to the right for the next letter(or to the left to correct any letters chosen in error). Also note that pressing the RIGHT ARROW key twice inserts a space between the names of a two name User ID.

• Pressing ENTER again exits text entry mode.

• Navigating back to the Home Page: Previously the User A listener presets belonged to User 1; now they belong to the name you’ve just entered. Press the BACK key to navigate back to the Home Page. Then follow the same sequence as outlined above to enter the name of User 2(which will be your User B if you have only two users for your A16).
    The A16 can also store a list of up to 4 different headphone model names that listeners intend to use with the A16. The list serves only to simplify the identification of headphones used in HPEQ measurements.

Follow the same procedures as outlined above for naming of headphones, except scroll through the Home Page menu until you arrive at “Headphones,” which you then select and then follow the process for naming each successive set of headphones. This time, however, use the C(cancel) key to overwrite any unwanted characters with a space.

Navigating the menu to the “Apps” page we can see the advantage of customizing the headphone model and another purpose for customizing the user name. After selecting “Apps,” you can then scroll through to each individual user and/or headphone. Here, then, you can select from the list of up to 8 users and from the list of up to 4 headphones the names that will be added to any PRIR or HPEQ files created in these application routines.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Basics Part 2

Speaker solo/mute and the internal loop track

Entry level operation of the Smyth Realiser A16. This video demonstrates the use of the internal audio loop track for evaluating virtual loudspeakers in conjunction with the mute/solo speaker keys.

To confirm virtualization quality or operation of the head tracking it is convenient to use the internal audio loop track in combination with the loudspeaker solo/mute keys.

*Please note that the muting and unmuting processes outlined below may appear to be a bit complicated at first, requiring you to read through that sections(and practice the steps described) a few times before it all become clear.

You begin by selecting a surround preset, such as one that has come preloaded with your A16.

If you are unsure of how loud the audio loop track will be, please remove your headphones before starting the loop playback. Adjust the headphone volume as required.

*The headphone volume (VOL control User A or User B, depending on which user has been selected) controls the loudness of the audio loop track in the same way as regular audio.

Press the TEST KEY(labeled “Test ?”) to begin the audio loop playbook. This directs a Mono loop track to ALL the speakers shown in the speaker map display.

Pressing any of the speaker keys will solo that speaker in the headphones and you will hear the audio loop play from only that speaker.

Next, select the LS key to start with the Left Surround. Solo speakers are indicated in the speaker map with a white box.

From there, select each of the surround speakers in succession.

Pressing the ALL key turns on all the speakers again. There are no boxes then drawn around any of the speakers.

Pressing the ALL key again switches to the mute mode. Initially all speakers will be mute as indicated by red boxes on the display.

Pressing the Ls speaker key in mute mode toggles between unmute and mute. In this case, it is initially mute so we unmute it by pressing it again, causing its red box to change to white.

We can also unmute Rs. Now both Ls and Rs are playing together as a group over the headphones.

Pressing the ALL key again disables mute mode and unmutes all the speakers. Note that all white and red boxes have been removed. Now the speaker keys act to solo that speaker, as before.

*Pressing ALL a second time switches back to mute mode. However, it recalls the previously unmuted speaker combination Ls+R rather than starting with them all muted.

Now, press ALL again to switch back to normal.

Pressing TEST a second time cancels the internal loop track playback.

Again, note that the headphone volume (VOL control User A or User B, depending on which user has been selected) controls the loudness of the audio loop track in the same way as regular audio.

Use solo mode to listen to individual speakers, e.g., to verify their location. Use mute mode to listen to a group of speakers, e.g., the overhead speakers alone.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Richter Di, snejk, jazzfan and 3 others like this.
  9. audiohobbit
    Thanks. I'll put this into "my" thread. Could you add the version no. of the manual where you refer to pages in the manual?

I'm on holiday at the moment (actually a working holiday, helping my friend moving out of a house into an appartment), that is why I don't write much here at the moment.

Though I have some new infos from Stephen. I'll share this later.

10. esimms86
    I have updated my post with the specific user manual version noted.

I'm very intrigued by your teaser of new info to come from Stephen Smyth!

11. You Gene
    Thank you very much. Any help is welcome!

What is also available is a pdf of the 9 basics tutos + 1 advanced one that you can either view on screen (page per page) at leisure ; or print like I did and peruse also at leisure without even the PC on. It is a picture by picture pdf enabling you to go forwards and backwards easily just like reading a book, if you can remember that....! Sorry, I always do that.

Available at HCFR : https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...interview-hcfr-liens-en-post-1-t30075654.html

You Gene

PS : no news yet audiohobbitt about your enquiry on available studios in France offering to take PRIRs. The holiday period is over in France but in a forum people do not always answer the best of intentions ; life is unfair, isn't it?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Rene Lou likes this.
  12. phoenixdogfan
    Found this "getting started" instruction set on the French site:

Falcon666 wrote: the manual alone without the machine scrambles one's head, it will be easier once the machine in the hands.
    There are key steps to getting started, you have to know how to take your time.

So here are the steps to learn for a startup in the order of my personal experience :

1. Connecting

2. Setting the time ( page 44 of the manual )

3. Enter a user name ( page 44 of manual - )

4. Enter the name of the headset

5. Start the internal test to see if the carrier did not explode

image: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

[​IMG]( page 59 of the manual - )

6. Know how to set HPEQ autoEQ (this is the procedure that removes the acoustic signature of the headset) ( page 73 of manual - )

7. Make a copy of the PRIR of the SD card on the internal memory of the Realiser ( page 47 of the manual ) and understand the locations of the SD card files / internal memory / recycle memory / factory memory ( )

8. Create your listening room for Dolby / DTS / PCM (pcm important the DTS not being read on the current firmware and turned into PCM) -page 81 of the manual ( )

9. Create your first preset: set up the listening room + PRIR + HPEQ ( page 51 of the manual - https: // www .youtube.com / watch? v = LIML-SY-9o0 & t = 211s )

10. Profit ^^

Go Further:

* Fine-tune the headphone settings by doing a Manual HPEQ ( page 77 of the manual - https://www.youtube. com / watch? v = 7srQsUuxpZ0 )

* Set the "virtual subwoofer" with the bass management ( page 86 of the manual )

* Set the gain of the speakers to the room configuration as desired.

* Set up the sensor on the helmet.
    Read more at https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...-en-post-1-t30075654.html#qYQV1xj8FfXPZc8Q.99

Richter Di and You Gene like this.
  13. phoenixdogfan
    I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is no, but I'll ask anyway. Does the A16 support MQA?

Ill ask the question two ways:

Do the on-board DACS support MQA unfolding?

Is the on board DSP rendering capable of doing its virtualzing on an MQA file and passing it to an MQA capable DAC to unfold?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  14. Dixter
    The A16 does not unfold a MQA file but will play it back... the source player should be able to unfold the MQA and feed that into the A16...

15. You Gene
    Hello,

Just to let you know that on the Smyth Research web site, at the bottom of the web page under "warranty" :
    can not be clicked on, thus not yet available on site...it might even be considered illegal in Europe (at least before Brexit). And still, they sell online. Unless mistaken of course...
    Likewise, no terms and conditions that I saw. The same problem with Heavenly Sound web site.

Therefore this question to you boys/girls :
    - for those who received this package from heaven, I mean Northern Ireland, any particular paper trail apart from the manual? Any reference to anything?
    - for those who ordered on the web site, anything apart from an ackowledgement by email?

By the way, on the French AV-in site, there are terms and conditions with a specific item related to the warranty of 2 years.

I am just asking, that's all.

You Gene

First

Back
461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470
472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481
Next

Last