Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #6,256 of 15,987
Can someone tell me the dimensions of the 2U unit?Metric units appreciated, but I can also convert.
Measures at 17" wide (431mm) x 7.2" deep (185mm) counting the extra projection out of the RCA connectors on the back x 3 3/4" high (95mm) counting the elevation from the feet.

To those who got the 2U unit already: Does it get very warm on the top? Are there cooling slots on the top?
Does not have any cooling slots on the top. Solid metal. So I guess it can't get too warm, but I don't know that yet. I'm still in the preliminary stages of reading the manual.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #6,258 of 15,987
I don't think a brownout as such could damage the realiser. The external power supply is a switch mode model, and should not produce output voltages that can damage the realiser just due to a too low input voltage. I'd consider a electric surge a more likely cause, and a UPS won't necessarily protect from those. Get surge protectors, you'll need to have high energy protectors installed in your distribution panel and lower energy surge protectors at your outlets. Check them regularly to see if they have tripped and need to be replaced.

Thanks for your input and recommendations. You're correct that an electrical surge could have been the more likely cause of the failure. However, many UPS systems do include some form of surge protection which I neglected to mention in my original post. I've updated my original post for clarification.

Regardless, none of this negates the point of my original post which is to remind Realser owners that some means of electrical protection, whether that be a power-strip (or UPS) with surge protection, or whole-house surge protectors installed at the distribution panel, or both, may save them from the added expense of repairs to their gear in the future. I unwisely did not take such precautions, and now have a bricked Realiser to show for it.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #6,259 of 15,987
My favorite PRIR was done with Zen Crescendo speakers ($16,000) and associated equipment at a similar level. We created a surround 5.1 system in which these speakers were emulated on the sides and center. Needless to say, listening to this through the Realiser A8 and STAX headphones is a terrific experience! But it's not so easy to find dealers or audiophiles willing to allow the measurements. I am hoping that the library on the Realiser A16 site will be useful for approaching the aural signature of some high level systems. That would be a great plus...
Did Darin Fong do that for you.

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #6,260 of 15,987
Great for you !! (except for the washing machine part, of course !)
You are a backer ? if so, which rank ?

Backer 22.

Spent all afternoon on the washer. Found the culprit, a burned out motor control unit. Ordered for delivery on Thursday. So that means the next 3 days I can focus on the a16 and not be tinkering with the washer anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #6,261 of 15,987
Did Darin Fong do that for you.

Yes indeed! I was living in the SF Bay area and somehow got in touch with him, flew to San Diego, and we went to several manufacturers, including Zen. The measurement that turned out the best was at Zen's. I also had Lorr's help getting a measurement at AIX. For some reason the AIX room as emulated through my PRIR sounds quite dead and flat. I don't use it.

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #6,262 of 15,987
Yes indeed! I was living in the SF Bay area and somehow got in touch with him, flew to San Diego, and we went to several manufacturers, including Zen. The measurement that turned out the best was at Zen's. I also had Lorr's help getting a measurement at AIX. For some reason the AIX room as emulated through my PRIR sounds quite dead and flat. I don't use it.
It’s interesting to hear that AIX, the source of @dsperber’s favorite PRIR(also made with Lorr Kramer on hand), is the source of your significantly non-preferred PRIR. Different strokes, I guess. This also is to some degree a tip of the hat to Darin Fong’s skills in modeling a room for the A8.

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #6,263 of 15,987

@Eich1eeF

Thanks for the quick reply! I've just bought last Thursday an A16 (headstand unit) which should arrive tomorrow or on Wednesday.
Therefore I would be ready to record some nice PRIRs and of course I would allow others to record their PRIRs with my unit in case we could arrange a meeting at one of the aforementioned Home Cinema installers (GROBI.TV, Hollywood zu Hause, Heimkinoraum.de, etc.).
I would really appreciate if someone could get in touch with one or more of the installers.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #6,264 of 15,987
It’s interesting to hear that AIX, the source of @dsperber’s favorite PRIR(also made with Lorr Kramer on hand), is the source of your significantly non-preferred PRIR. Different strokes, I guess. This also is to some degree a tip of the hat to Darin Fong’s skills in modeling a room for the A8.

Yes, I remember that dsperber liked the AIX measurement. It could have been an artifact of the measuring process, but for me, the AIX studio might be an excellent venue as a mixing studio, but the room to my ears is very flat and dead, perhaps overdamped for music listening as opposed to recording. Then again, tastes differ. Maybe others would disagree about the AIX site. In any case, Zen wins hands down for me.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #6,265 of 15,987
@Eich1eeF
Thanks for the quick reply! I've just bought last Thursday an A16 (headstand unit) which should arrive tomorrow or on Wednesday.
Therefore I would be ready to record some nice PRIRs and of course I would allow others to record their PRIRs with my unit in case we could arrange a meeting at one of the aforementioned Home Cinema installers (GROBI.TV, Hollywood zu Hause, Heimkinoraum.de, etc.).
I would really appreciate if someone could get in touch with one or more of the installers.

The message here is that you can buy a unit for retail and expect rapid delivery, as opposed to the kickstarter backers who might be waiting a long time. I suppose it has to be this way for economic reasons. Still, it doesn't seem quite right. I bought another new product via kickstarter and the backers got their products first in line.

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #6,266 of 15,987
Backer no. 34 (me) got the mail with the typo today from James that they "our" ready to ship my A16...
I'm not so ready because of my private situation, but better the Realiser is here with me than anywhere else.

I reminded him that I pledged for 2 headtrackers! I also got a PRIR done at Munich High End show but I don't expect it to be loaded into the memory, and I don't care too much about it anyway, as I said earlier.

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #6,267 of 15,987
Backer no. 34 (me) got the mail with the typo today from James that they "our" ready to ship my A16...
I'm not so ready because of my private situation, but better the Realiser is here with me than anywhere else.

I reminded him that I pledged for 2 headtrackers! I also got a PRIR done at Munich High End show but I don't expect it to be loaded into the memory, and I don't care too much about it anyway, as I said earlier.
That's good to hear, it means that it starts moving a bit faster than in August. Maybe they ran out of units to sell at full price and can now focus on delivering to backers...

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #6,268 of 15,987
That's good to hear, it means that it starts moving a bit faster than in August. Maybe they ran out of units to sell at full price and can now focus on delivering to backers...
It sounds like they're on track for at least 10 units shipped per week since August 16th, just counting the Kickstarter units. Obviously, they've also shipped an unspecified number of units sold for retail, plus there are clearly multiple Kickstarter backers(and retail purchasers) that don't post on this thread. The way I read it, things are looking up re: the possibility of me receiving my A16(Kickstarter backer #174) by Christmas or even possibly before. It also looks like all of the Kickstarter backers could potentially have their units delivered to them by the end of May 2020. I know that that sounds like a glass half full statement to other Kickstarter backers and pre-order buyers.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #6,269 of 15,987
I got an email about my unit being ready to ship today too! I forgot my order number, but it was in the 30’s IIRC.

I was at RMAF and working hard before that, what have I missed in the past two weeks?

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #6,270 of 15,987
Post #5432:

Found it!
Backer #32. Guess it sold fast that first hour... so two to three weeks after the first shipping week, I suppose.

SR has posted at least 9 "How to" videos. See their Facebook page or YouTube for the links. The info in the videos includes instructions that in at least some cases doesn't exist in the downloadable manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back