Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 10, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #6,286 of 16,011
You can do the one speaker method and end up with a single PRIR at the end. That’s how I finally did it after a few attempts of measuring before the manual was released.When measuring a speaker or speakers after it’s done the sweeps it asks you to hit enter to save the PRIR or to hit SPK to do the measurement over. If you hit the “back” button on the remote it will keep the measurement you just did and allow you to seller other speakers you want to measure to add to that PRIR. You can repeat that process until you have all of the speakers you want measured. After you measure the last speaker you want then you can hit the “enter” key and save everything.
Ok, but then you have to reconnect the speaker to a different terminal each time you press back and select the next speaker?

I gently reminded them that I pledged and paid for a headstand unit and two head tracking units, let's see if they actually send the two head tracking units or only one.
Good, I did the same (for the headtracker, I ordered the 2U unit and I hope that they at least get this right).
Everyone that gets a ready for shipping notice and ordered a 2nd headtracker or other extras should remind them in the answer!

Has anyone tried to send RIR measurement sweeps through USB?
I have just implemented a FIR filter for my room using REW, Rephase and Equalizer APO and I would like to measure my room through that filter that is convolved by my computer and the sent via HDMI to my TV.
This would require the Async measuring mode, see chapter 8.3.4.2 Async Mode in the manual on p. 70. You need the special sweeps with the "preamble". They say that will provide those for download on the Exchange site. So we have to wait until that gets online. ("4-6 weeks" ... LOL)

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #6,287 of 16,011
Ok, but then you have to reconnect the speaker to a different terminal each time you press back and select the next speaker?

Good, I did the same (for the headtracker, I ordered the 2U unit and I hope that they at least get this right).
Everyone that gets a ready for shipping notice and ordered a 2nd headtracker or other extras should remind them in the answer!

This would require the Async measuring mode, see chapter 8.3.4.2 Async Mode in the manual on p. 70. You need the special sweeps with the "preamble". They say that will provide those for download on the Exchange site. So we have to wait until that gets online. ("4-6 weeks" ... LOL)

You don’t necessarily have to connect the speaker to a different terminal, you could just keep it connected to the front left or right terminal on the receiver and move it around the room (or keep it in the same spot and use the chair method). What you would need to do though is move the line out output on the A16 to the appropriate line out jack as it will only send the front speaker signals through the 1-2 jack, the center and sub through the 3-4 jack and so on.

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #6,288 of 16,011
Channel level is an important question. What guidance is provided on the volume to take the PRIR at? Is it 73db? 80? 85? What is recommended for the A16 as sufficient?
Read chapter 8.2.3 Run the Speaker Calibration routine on p.66ff in the manual. There it is explained how the A16 assures that the level will be good enough for measurement.

I was talking more about relative levels betwenn channels. But that's als described in detail: The A16 automatically calculates a gain for each speaker. But luckily you can change this manually:
8.3.2 Select the loudspeakers to be measured
The Speaker select menu (Figure 8-11) displays the speakers that have just been calibrated, and also shows the gain level that has been applied to the calibration signal in order to get a reasonable recording level from the binaural microphones. These gain levels will be used during the PRIR measurement, but can be increased or decreased in the Speaker select menu page using the ADJ+ and ADJ-keys.

It is instructive to check and compare the gain levels of the speakers that have just been calibrated. Apart from the SW speaker, all the other speakers should have roughly the same gain if the loudspeakers in the room have been previously calibrated to have the same apparent volume at the listener sweet-spot.
That's what I meant. If you already measured them manually to have the same loudness at the listener position then you want to ensure that the gain setting while PRIR measurement will be the same for all speakers.

Leaves the problem of different levels of speakers that have been measured in different PRIRs. There is a Normalise-button in the Listening room setup to prevent this but who knows how good this works?

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #6,289 of 16,011
What you would need to do though is move the line out output on the A16 to the appropriate line out jack as it will only send the front speaker signals through the 1-2 jack, the center and sub through the 3-4 jack and so on.
That's what I meant, you have to reconnect "something" (the speaker if it's active, the amp otherwise) to a differnt output on the Realiser every time you press BACK.

The real ONE Method should avoid this, but isn't implemented yet. I don't know if they planned it exactly as I conceive: Ideally you keep the amp/speaker connected to one terminal and measure the chanels (C, R, RS, RB, etc.) in sequence clockwise for example. Since the HT can now do full 360 then HT assist would be ideal for this. At least for the "floor level" speakers.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #6,290 of 16,011
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I’m one of the backers for the Smyth Research Realiser A16. During the last months I read your posts in this thread wanting to understand as much as possible of this new processor.

At least for the "floor level" speakers, would it be possible to carry out the measurement as described in the manual for the SR A8 at page 64?

“The procedure begins with the listener looking directly at the speaker (0° or 12 o’clock) for the first sweep, then rotating clockwise to +30° (1 o’clock) for the next sweep, and so on through twelve measurements, one for each 30° increment or one for each hour on the clock. One might use a low-back rotating office chair to facilitate moving among the positions.”

So, for the example in the A8 manual, I understand that at the end of the measurement procedure, the result is a PRIR file that contains eight virtual speakers at regular spacings.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #6,291 of 16,011
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I’m one of the backers for the Smyth Research Realiser A16. During the last months I read your posts in this thread wanting to understand as much as possible of this new processor.

At least for the "floor level" speakers, would it be possible to carry out the measurement as described in the manual for the SR A8 at page 64?

“The procedure begins with the listener looking directly at the speaker (0° or 12 o’clock) for the first sweep, then rotating clockwise to +30° (1 o’clock) for the next sweep, and so on through twelve measurements, one for each 30° increment or one for each hour on the clock. One might use a low-back rotating office chair to facilitate moving among the positions.”

So, for the example in the A8 manual, I understand that at the end of the measurement procedure, the result is a PRIR file that contains eight virtual speakers at regular spacings.

It is possible, but it takes a lot of work and plugging and unplugging stuff.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #6,292 of 16,011
At the moment it is not possible as described in the A8 manual. This is the ONE procedure I described in my last post, and it's not possible exactly like this with the A16 at the moment.
Unfortunately.

Now to something not completely different:
You have a parcel coming.

Scheduled Delivery Date: Friday, 13/09/2019

This message was sent to you at the request of Mike to notify you that the shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS.
1. Good that I'm not superstitious...
2. Good to see that Mike is still around (why he's not mentioned on the team will remain a mystery)
3. It tells me the serial no. apparently and it starts with A162U... so hopefully I get the correct unit

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #6,293 of 16,011
It is possible, but it takes a lot of work and plugging and unplugging stuff.
I’m aware that the ONE procedure might take a lot of work for plugging and unplugging cables. However, if there’s a not quite acoustically well-behaved room, I think that the ONE procedure by rotating in the chair might get a decent compromise.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #6,294 of 16,011
At the moment it is not possible as described in the A8 manual. This is the ONE procedure I described in my last post, and it's not possible exactly like this with the A16 at the moment.
Unfortunately.

Now to something not completely different:

1. Good that I'm not superstitious...
2. Good to see that Mike is still around (why he's not mentioned on the team will remain a mystery)
3. It tells me the serial no. apparently and it starts with A162U... so hopefully I get the correct unit

I've only asked as a principle.
Congratulations for your new toy!

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #6,295 of 16,011
i was hoping I would have received my A16 by this weekend (it was supposed to be delivered on 9/5); however, it appears that UPS has lost the package for the moment. It made it over to the US from the UK, passed through customs in Philadelphia, PA, and then headed to the main UPS hub in Louisville, KY. Unfortunately the tracking stops there.....

I immediately contacted James to begin a trace request with UPS. He was very responsive and filled out the approprate tracing template so that the shipper they use in the UK can work with UPS to track down the package.

i've not had much luck with UPS the past couple of weeks......this doesn't help restore my confidence.....
my package is still lost somewhere at the main UPS hub in Louisville, KY. I havent heard anything yet from the tracing request that was put in place on Friday.

agonizing to have waited 3 years and have it almost in your grasp....and then things still get screwed up.....

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #6,296 of 16,011
I’m aware that the ONE procedure might take a lot of work for plugging and unplugging cables. However, if there’s a not quite acoustically well-behaved room, I think that the ONE procedure by rotating in the chair might get a decent compromise.
Yes I think so. I just wanted to point out that it's not as convenient as described in the A8 manual. At least at the moment.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,297 of 16,011
Has anyone tried to send RIR measurement sweeps through USB?
I have just implemented a FIR filter for my room using REW, Rephase and Equalizer APO and I would like to measure my room through that filter that is convolved by my computer and the sent via HDMI to my TV.

First question is how do you is the usb at all? When I plugged it into my MacBook it didn’t show up as anything. I wonder if it needs drivers to run as a 16 channel audio device. Anyone got usb input successfully working?

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #6,298 of 16,011
You can do the one speaker method and end up with a single PRIR at the end. That’s how I finally did it after a few attempts of measuring before the manual was released.When measuring a speaker or speakers after it’s done the sweeps it asks you to hit enter to save the PRIR or to hit SPK to do the measurement over. If you hit the “back” button on the remote it will keep the measurement you just did and allow you to seller other speakers you want to measure to add to that PRIR. You can repeat that process until you have all of the speakers you want measured. After you measure the last speaker you want then you can hit the “enter” key and save everything.

I have a few questions about this method.

-This only works with one speaker if you unplug and swap the left and right ends of the mini to rca cable as well right as one speaker is going to come out of either left or right depending on the speaker it is. No way to change that. Is that correct?

- do you have to remount the head tracker optical guide to be in front of you each time so you can do the two angles correctly? Does it give guidance for the right angle? I haven’t calibrated with the head tracker yet.

- how did you find the right angle to position yourself to virtualize a ceiling speaker? How about doing the secondary measurement angles for that? How does that work?

-does the SW measurement send a full wave signal still or use only low freqs? I use a Rel sub connected with the speaker terminals so it’s really a 2.0 system so measuring the sub would mean connecting it to left or right channnel still. Not sure how that will work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back