Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 25, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #3,736 of 15,992
I don't think something like that would be possible. Such a delicate transaction (we don't know each other's identities!) would probably have to include James Smyth as a witness and agreement implementer and he certainly would not be willing to do that. Refunds are much more rewarding for him (them). Maybe they even intentionally provoke refund claims in order to collect additional money.

Thank you very much, Mikemav. But, if I sell my spot on Kickstarter, I would rather not to have to receive the package and send it forward. You know, possible import taxes, additional international shipping...

But, who bears responsibility for the project success/failure in such a scenario?
Edit: I mean, if I give up waiting, I certainly don't want to stay responsible towards the spot buyer for the project success.

All this is what I was thinking also. If it weren't for these practical problems I'd love to buy your A16.
(I'd love to have 2 so I can invite up to 3 friends instead of just 1 friend to enjoy a movie or a concert together. Also I could put one in a rack with all the connections to my 2 7.1 receivers plus stereo amp etc., and the other one close to the listeners position - just connected to the rack equipment with one HDMI cable - so that the first 2 listeners don't have to use extension cords for the headphones. If I want to take one with me to do a PRIR measurement somewhere I don't have to unplug the one in the rack with the 20 or more cables connected to it, I can just take the other one. Occasionally I could borrow one out and still have one at home. In the future I could couple them together for 32 channel applications. And I have a few ideas for experiments involving 2 A16's.)

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #3,738 of 15,992
All this is what I was thinking also. If it weren't for these practical problems I'd love to buy your A16.
(I'd love to have 2 so I can invite up to 3 friends instead of just 1 friend to enjoy a movie or a concert together. Also I could put one in a rack with all the connections to my 2 7.1 receivers plus stereo amp etc., and the other one close to the listeners position - just connected to the rack equipment with one HDMI cable - so that the first 2 listeners don't have to use extension cords for the headphones. If I want to take one with me to do a PRIR measurement somewhere I don't have to unplug the one in the rack with the 20 or more cables connected to it, I can just take the other one. Occasionally I could borrow one out and still have one at home. In the future I could couple them together for 32 channel applications. And I have a few ideas for experiments involving 2 A16's.)
IMHO you are the most knowledgeable and constructive member here and if anyone deserves to have 2 units, it is you.
By the way, I have 2 Oppo players. And 2 Panasonic plasmas.
Where are you from?
I am from Croatia, EU. But, please note that I didn't give up waiting yet. The next inputs from James Smyth and French dealer will be crucial for my decision.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #3,739 of 15,992
IMHO you are the most knowledgeable and constructive member here and if anyone deserves to have 2 units, it is you.
By the way, I have 2 Oppo players. And 2 Panasonic plasmas.

I am from Croatia, EU. But, please note that I didn't give up waiting yet. The next inputs from James Smyth and French dealer will be crucial for my decision.

I'm from the EU as well so if you do give up gimme a yell.
I sold my spot in 2 preorders before. Usually both parties contact the vendor and he then changes the delivery address once the seller confirms to have received the money.

For me it would be a second A16 as well. Two Panasonic OLEDs but only one Oppo. :wink:

Setup 1 (Living room, if I find a second A16): Oppo + aTV + Zappiti -> A16 -> Marantz SR8012 -> OLED + B&W 5.1 setup.

Setup 2 (man cave with my first A16): PC + Mac + PS4 + Xbox -> A16 -> Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar with B&W sub -> OLED.
The PC and Mac would be connected independently to 3 Monitors (35" and two 27") and the sound for these will come from a Yarra (connected to the same B&W sub) connected to the A16.
I have two Yarras on order of which I might sell one if everything works out with the Ambeo.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #3,740 of 15,992
Whenever the conspiracy theorists commander the thread
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #3,741 of 15,992
I'm from the EU as well so if you do give up gimme a yell.
I sold my spot in 2 preorders before. Usually both parties contact the vendor and he then changes the delivery address once the seller confirms to have received the money.

For me it would be a second A16 as well. Two Panasonic OLEDs but only one Oppo. :wink:

Setup 1 (Living room, if I find a second A16): Oppo + aTV + Zappiti -> A16 -> Marantz SR8012 -> OLED + B&W 5.1 setup.

Setup 2 (man cave with my first A16): PC + Mac + PS4 + Xbox -> A16 -> Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar with B&W sub -> OLED.
The PC and Mac would be connected independently to 3 Monitors (35" and two 27") and the sound for these will come from a Yarra (connected to the same B&W sub) connected to the A16.
I have two Yarras on order of which I might sell one if everything works out with the Ambeo.
Wow, man, how impressive setups! You definitely deserve 2 Realisers too.
My Oppo 105 goes directly into Rotel mch power amp and then to 4 Energy floorstanders and JBL center and Mirage SW. Picture, via HDMI into 42" Panasonic plasma.
My Oppo 103 goes in 2.1 mode directly into Luxman power amp and then to 2 Tannoys and JBL SW (Edit: correction: Energy SW, not JBL). Picture, via HDMI into 37" Panasonic plasma. The second Oppo's HDMI out is supposed to go into A16 and further to the Sennheiser HD600 and Yarra. (Unfortunately, I recently found out that Yarra is not supposed to accept mch pcm, so I claimed for the refund.)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,746 of 15,992
Any mass shipment of the A16 will undoubtedly result in a new “A16 Impressions” thread. At that point, anyone interested in learning about the A16 will go there in their search for information.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,747 of 15,992
Wow, man, how impressive setups! You definitely deserve 2 Realisers too.
My Oppo 105 goes directly into Rotel mch power amp and then to 4 Energy floorstanders and JBL center and Mirage SW. Picture, via HDMI into 42" Panasonic plasma.
My Oppo 103 goes in 2.1 mode directly into Luxman power amp and then to 2 Tannoys and JBL SW (Edit: correction: Energy SW, not JBL). Picture, via HDMI into 37" Panasonic plasma. The second Oppo's HDMI out is supposed to go into A16 and further to the Sennheiser HD600 and Yarra. (Unfortunately, I recently found out that Yarra is not supposed to accept mch pcm, so I claimed for the refund.)

Pretty nice setups as well!
I think you got it wrong on the Yarra though, as I understood it is supposed to work perfectly with the processed 2-channel output coming from the Realiser (headphone amp out) and the Yarra doing it's beamforming, especially in a nearfiled application like with a screen used for computer monitor.
I ordered two, one for under the monitors and one for under one of the 65" OLEDs but it might not be that good for the latter since I sit further away.
If it doesn't I'd sell one of the Yarras and put the Sennheiser Ambeo there provided it can pass through 4K HDR to the screen and it has a subwoofer output.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,748 of 15,992
Any mass shipment of the A16 will undoubtedly result in a new “A16 Impressions” thread. At that point, anyone interested in learning about the A16 will go there in their search for information.

Good idea since this will be a product to share a lot of info about. Setup, PRIR, BRIR, measuring locations ....

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,749 of 15,992
I actually bought the Game of Thrones season 1 - 6 boxed set "on sale" (it's now half as much) last summer, but didn't watch it yet. It has an Atmos mix, and I was waiting for the A16 to be released before watching them all. Wasn't a super huge deal since I had already seen all of the episodes two or three times anyway and could wait. So I waited, and waited, and waited and then they not long ago released the first season in 4K.

Ugh. Now I have to wonder if they will release the next seasons before the A16 is released or not. If they do, then I'll just be spending even more money to rebuy them again. If they don't, then I'll end up watching the Blu-rays (to buy, or not to buy seasons 7 - 8) first with the A16, then buying the 4K versions later. Hell, I might even have a 2019, 65'' LG OLED before the A16 arrives.

edit: LMAO. Only reason I posted this was because yet another demo video was posted, and we already know it's a real thing. Then I noticed they were playing GoT in the video.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #3,750 of 15,992
Hell, I might even have a 2019, 65'' LG OLED before the A16 arrives.

Lol - yep.

My entire AV and headphone setup has gone through multiple changes since the deposit on the A16.

Hopefully no more big spends before it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back