Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #3,721 of 16,011
You have to understand the frustration some people are for waiting more than 2 years for the Realiser A16.
Hopefully soon we will get a proper update about the real shipping date.
Now let's get back on topic.
Actually i like the thread as it os and just hope that more will be more optimistic about this project coming to life.

Althougfh I have been waiting just as long as them I do not share their frustration but I can surely understand it.
But since there has been a thread specially created for those who need to let off steam and they have been asked over and over here to use that thread some seem to not care at all and continue venting here without any regard for people who subscribe to this thread (and not the other one) in order to receive information bout the A16, the PRIP and BRIR system etc ...

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3,722 of 16,011
Althougfh I have been waiting just as long as them I do not share their frustration but I can surely understand it.
But since there has been a thread specially created for those who need to let off steam and they have been asked over and over here to use that thread some seem to not care at all and continue venting here without any regard for people who subscribe to this thread (and not the other one) in order to receive information bout the A16, the PRIP and BRIR system etc ...

What information? The whole point of the last year is that no information is forthcoming from the Smyths. When Ted Timmis called him out, James Smyth didn't respond except to say " here's your refund". There's nothing in the way of new information on the website, and people are quoting some "french Dealer" as if he's an official source.

The real story here is the delay and the black hole of silence that is the Smyth Company. It's not bull to write about the only thing that's real here.
I, for one, would like to see this product come to light so I can make the determination on whether to buy it. But as of now no one has it, no one has reviewed it, and no reviewer has done objective measurements or tests exist to determine how well it fulfills it's claims. Moreover, no one has experience in the field with regard to how easy or hard it will be to obtain quality measurements of high end audio systems. And that means both securing the permission of owners to make those PRIRs and the degree of technical difficulty in making a high quality measurement. And no one has any experience with how well the Smyths will support the product in the field. (Although the way they communicate with their customers ought to give everyone a forewarning there).

I certainly don't believe this thread ought to turn into some "true believers circling the wagons" exercise where fanboys read every technical release with the intensity of Talmudic scholars to determine whether the unit can, say, deliver Atmos via Toslink to a Playstation 4.

And this thread is not a club. Just because some of you have already ponied up the $1500 or $2k or whatever it is, that in no way gives you the right to declare the rest of us can have no opinion on this project.

And of course the real reason some of you early adopters don't want to hear from people like me is crystal clear if you are honest with yourselves. You're experiencing cognitive dissonance with regard to this purchase, and you're experiencing it big time. And reading what people like me have to write in no way soothes your unease.

Sorry, but it's simply the truth, and it need to be part of the process.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,723 of 16,011
Dup

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #3,725 of 16,011
But as of now no one has it, no one has reviewed it, and no reviewer has done objective measurements or tests exist to determine how well it fulfills it's claims.
The french dealer has 2. I don't need a review because I had the demo and I know the out of head experience and the feeling of listening to speakers is 100% convincing to me. Also the core SVS technologie can be expected to be at least as good as in the A8, and many A8 owners can testify that also the A8 gave excellent results. (But I can understand that people who didn't have the demo and never heard the A8 are feeling less sure. It was not for nothing that I jumped on a train to Munich when I heard about this whole thing and that there would be a demo there, I myself would never have believed it fully on hearsay only.)
Moreover, no one has experience in the field with regard to how easy or hard it will be to obtain quality measurements of high end audio systems. And that means both securing the permission of owners to make those PRIRs and the degree of technical difficulty in making a high quality measurement.
A8 owners have that experience.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,726 of 16,011
What information? The whole point of the last year is that no information is forthcoming from the Smyths. When Ted Timmis called him out, James Smyth didn't respond except to say " here's your refund". There's nothing in the way of new information on the website, and people are quoting some "french Dealer" as if he's an official source.

The real story here is the delay and the black hole of silence that is the Smyth Company. It's not bull**** to write about the only thing that's real here.
I, for one, would like to see this product come to light so I can make the determination on whether to buy it. But as of now no one has it, no one has reviewed it, and no reviewer has done objective measurements or tests exist to determine how well it fulfills it's claims. Moreover, no one has experience in the field with regard to how easy or hard it will be to obtain quality measurements of high end audio systems. And that means both securing the permission of owners to make those PRIRs and the degree of technical difficulty in making a high quality measurement. And no one has any experience with how well the Smyths will support the product in the field. (Although the way they communicate with their customers ought to give everyone a forewarning there).

I certainly don't believe this thread ought to turn into some "true believers circling the wagons" exercise where fanboys read every technical release with the intensity of Talmudic scholars to determine whether the unit can, say, deliver Atmos via Toslink to a Playstation 4.

And this thread is not a club. Just because some of you have already ponied up the $1500 or $2k or whatever it is, that in no way gives you the right to declare the rest of us can have no opinion on this project.

And of course the real reason some of you early adopters don't want to hear from people like me is crystal clear if you are honest with yourselves. You're experiencing cognitive dissonance with regard to this purchase, and you're experiencing it big time. And reading what people like me have to write in no way soothes your unease.

Sorry, but it's simply the truth, and it need to be part of the process.
I am an early adopter and really couldn't give a tinkers toot about all this indignation. I am confident that I will receive my A16 in due course and if I don't, I don't.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,727 of 16,011
May i suggest that if anyone else want a refund, he ask here first if somebody else is interested in buying it?
Because the preorder price is such a bargain compared to the new release price !
It would be nice to let somebody else benefit from it.
I don't think something like that would be possible. Such a delicate transaction (we don't know each other's identities!) would probably have to include James Smyth as a witness and agreement implementer and he certainly would not be willing to do that. Refunds are much more rewarding for him (them). Maybe they even intentionally provoke refund claims in order to collect additional money.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #3,728 of 16,011
I don't think something like that would be possible. Such a delicate transaction (we don't know each other's identities!) would probably have to include James Smyth as a witness and agreement implementer and he certainly would not be willing to do that. Refunds are much more rewarding for him (them). Maybe they even intentionally provoke refund claims in order to collect additional money.
This could possibly be done via a 3rd party such as PayPal or Ebay. For instance, I just bid on a PixMax 5K+ ultra-wide FOV VR headset where someone is selling their spot on Kickstarter. These have yet to ship (except to developers and YouTube reviewers, who have production units in hand) and backers shipments should start within a couple of weeks, but they are not yet for sale to non-backers. I did not win that auction, and it went for a LOT more than the initial Kickstarter price, so my wallet was more powerful than my patience even bidding on it (the latest reviews convinced me it's my next step.) Since I lost and it went for more of a delta than I was likely willing to pay, I will have to wait and do not even know the final retail price. However the way it was to work was the seller promised to immediately ship the backer package to the winner once received, and work w/ the winner and mfg on warranty transfer or act as an intermediary should that need come up and mfg did not support a direct transfer. I would think the same could be done here with A16 if there was a willing buyer and seller. I am already an A16 backer so have no need for a 2nd unit, but just my 2 cents on how it could happen...

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #3,729 of 16,011
people are quoting some "french Dealer" as if he's an official source

He has been the sole and official distributor of the A8 in France for many years and will also distribute here also the A16. He was regularly demonstrating the A8 in Paris, was with the Smyths in Paris to demonstrate the A16 back in 2016 and for what i know was the only person beside the Smyths to demonstrate the A16 this year, in May. He kept the A16 for 2-3 weeks so he had plenty of time to try it on.
Now, he left Ireland with two functional units that he will keep to translate menus, make more demonstrations, review it. So, even if he is not a OFFICIAL source, he is not just "some french dealer" and he is a reliable source. And i thank him for sharing the information when he gets something interesting to tell.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #3,730 of 16,011
This could possibly be done via a 3rd party such as PayPal or Ebay. For instance, I just bid on a PixMax 5K+ ultra-wide FOV VR headset where someone is selling their spot on Kickstarter. These have yet to ship (except to developers and YouTube reviewers, who have production units in hand) and backers shipments should start within a couple of weeks, but they are not yet for sale to non-backers. I did not win that auction, and it went for a LOT more than the initial Kickstarter price, so my wallet was more powerful than my patience even bidding on it (the latest reviews convinced me it's my next step.) Since I lost and it went for more of a delta than I was likely willing to pay, I will have to wait and do not even know the final retail price. However the way it was to work was the seller promised to immediately ship the backer package to the winner once received, and work w/ the winner and mfg on warranty transfer or act as an intermediary should that need come up and mfg did not support a direct transfer. I would think the same could be done here with A16 if there was a willing buyer and seller. I am already an A16 backer so have no need for a 2nd unit, but just my 2 cents on how it could happen...
Thank you very much, Mikemav. But, if I sell my spot on Kickstarter, I would rather not to have to receive the package and send it forward. You know, possible import taxes, additional international shipping...

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #3,731 of 16,011
Totally understand, that is your prerogative. I think in the VR headset example, the fact that the seller's kickstarter investment was likely 2x-3x less than the spot sold for on Ebay today means he doesn't mind the additional complications..

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,733 of 16,011
Totally understand, that is your prerogative. I think in the VR headset example, the fact that the seller's kickstarter investment was likely 2x-3x less than the spot sold for on Ebay today means he doesn't mind the additional complications..
Not a problem if you sell itt in the same region. (US,EU, ...)
But, who bears responsibility for the project success/failure in such a scenario?
Edit: I mean, if I give up waiting, I certainly don't want to stay responsible towards the spot buyer for the project success.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #3,734 of 16,011
I don't know about the rest of you but I find it particularly annoying that someone who hasn't even ordered the A16 (I'm talking about Phoenixdogfan) is on here complaining about delays, when the majority of us who have made a purchase like to come on here to daydream about the things we'll be able to do with our A16 once we get it, what movies we're going to watch with it, how our set-ups are going to be, etc.
Yes, we get it, the lack of updates is unprofessional, and if some other people on here are to be believed, it even rises to the level of a criminal act (!!). Nobody is happy about the delays, but *** please take your complaints elsewhere and let us fantasize in peace already.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #3,735 of 16,011
We have to be grateful to Fox1977 as he is from France itself and he keeps in touch with the French dealer that seems to be the most important dealer and contact person to Smyth Research. Through him, we have always managed to get news and updates related to the A16 status.I like that he is always positive about the delivery and he is in the same boat as the rest of us.
We have all paid the whole amount for the Realiser A16 and we can't wait until each of us will have it in our homes.
I know that is hard to wait, and is easy to be upset, frustrated because of the lack of news, but then again, what good is that?
We need to support each other, stay positive and believe that we will get it eventually before the end of this year ( i hope ).
My setup for watching movies and maybe listening to music if the A16 is good at reproducing high quality music will include the Meze Empyrean headphones.
So let's not run out of patience just yet and stay positive few more months and see what's going to happen.
Please feel free again to discuss what headphones you will be using, your movies list, etc.
One for all and all for one :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back