Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #3,706 of 16,050
If anything, the fact that you got a refund tells me the A16 is not vaporware (not that I ever thought it was), and that despite the delays, it will soon be "realised". The French dealer has two finished and working units, and I'm sure the rest of us who hang in there will be rewarded with our own units soon.
Call me a hopeless optimist, but I'm not optimistic by nature. I simply understand the immense technical challenges involved in getting such a complex piece of hardware and software out to market, especially when it's just a 3-man operation.
Doesn't say anything of the kind. Obviously the Smyths could never allow themselves to be placed in a position where they refused to refund a preorder when they're two years late in fulfilling it as that WOULD cause a donor stampede.

The fact remains that a high risk venture like a binaural headphone processor kickstarter costing $4k can fail at any point. Ossic had their product ready and they just couldn't find a way to produce it numbers. No guarantee this project won't choke on fumes when it get to the same juncture.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #3,707 of 16,050
Smyth Research Realiser A16 is the new thread king.
More then 3700 posts and no single unit out in the field.
Haha..
Should swap my ethereum to smyth realiser

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #3,708 of 16,050
The fact remains that a high risk venture like a binaural headphone processor kickstarter costing $4k can fail at any point. Ossic had their product ready and they just couldn't find a way to produce it numbers. No guarantee this project won't choke on fumes when it get to the same juncture.

I don't know about Ossic, but in the case of Smyth Research, they already have all the hardware to cover the backers/preorders (of course i didn't go there to check myself but that's how it's supposed to be). The delay now is mostly due to software development and solving unexpected bugs that were revealed in spring during the LA CanJam.
Everything is possible, though i don't think the A16 project will fail. The french dealer went back home with two working units since now they can be updated remotely. Possibly he will be demonstrating the A16 in the Paris Audio Video Show that will take place on October, 20-21st. It has yet to be confirmed but he was there two years ago and before that he was demonstrating there the A8 pretty much every year.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #3,709 of 16,050
I don't know about Ossic, but in the case of Smyth Research, they already have all the hardware to cover the backers/preorders (of course i didn't go there to check myself but that's how it's supposed to be). The delay now is mostly due to software development and solving unexpected bugs that were revealed in spring during the LA CanJam.
Everything is possible, though i don't think the A16 project will fail. The french dealer went back home with two working units since now they can be updated remotely. Possibly he will be demonstrating the A16 in the Paris Audio Video Show that will take place on October, 20-21st. It has yet to be confirmed but he was there two years ago and before that he was demonstrating there the A8 pretty much every year.

"they already have all the hardware to cover the backers/preorders (of course i didn't go there to check myself but that's how it's supposed to be)"

How on Earth could you possibly know that? If you read the last 4-5 pages of this thread, it's all about the Smyths NOT COMMUNICATING with their kickstarter and preorder customers regarding where they are in the process. Hell, the only way anyone on the thread knows anything at all is through an unofficial source i.e. The French Dealer. So how many units they have assembled, other than the two in his possession, is an open question.

All the supposition in the world is not evidence, folks. Only when you have the A16 in hand (if that ever happens), and only if and when it performs well and reliably, and only if and when it is supported with respect to everything they promised (Brir library, Brir personalization, PRIR clean up, PRIR provider network)--only if and when all that stuff happens can any one say, retrospectively, the Smyths belatedly fulfilled their commitments.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #3,710 of 16,050
The only thing that i don't understand is why Smyth Research Doesn't Want to keep us updated, let's say twice a month.
I understand that they have issues with the software, license etc, but if they just can issue these updates everyone will be happy.
My patience can be very big as long as i know that me or you are not ignored.
Hopefully their business partner will put pressure and rush the shipping day so nobody will be affected.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #3,711 of 16,050
Ossic had their product ready and they just couldn't find a way to produce it numbers. No guarantee this project won't choke on fumes when it get to the same juncture.

I don't see any reason to believe that Ossic has their product ready. Years after the Kickstarter closed they produced a very small number of units and the only reports we have on those units are that they weren't very good. Ossic burned the money that should have gone to manufacture and shipping on R&D and Marketing. Because they had so many preorders they faced a massive bill to manufacture and deliver their headphones with no money left to do it. They didn't fall $1 short of succeeding, they fell well over $1million short.

Smyth has far fewer orders and has completed some stages of manufacture so they aren't facing the same massive hurdle to get out the product. That doesn't mean they can't simply run out of money, but it does mean that there isn't this huge obstacle built into the process of bringing the A16 to market.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #3,712 of 16,050
Smyth Research Realiser A16 is the new thread king.
More then 3700 posts and no single unit out in the field.
Haha..
Should swap my ethereum to smyth realiser

Hello all, I just received my refund and thought you might want to read our exchange. Again, James’ email precedes mine and is further down.

Dear James,

Thank you for refunding my money. As you know, I have been your most vocal critic but I continue to be amazed by the devotion of your supporters on the Head-Fi forum. Just this morning, I learned that the Smyth Realiser thread has more posts than all others.

Hundreds of people and thousands of posts with most in your defense and yet you’ve never taken 10 seconds to thank them or even to acknowledge that they exist. These people have put their faith and hard-earned money into your project and you owe it to them to do so.

My guess is that you are just to proud, too important and too “busy” to stoop to this. Just remember that pride comes before the fall and you are staring into the precipice.

As we say here in the U.S., it’s time for you to “man up.” This email has taken me two minutes between getting ready for work and driving my son to school. Take two minutes right now and post something on the forum.

Finally, I hope you turn things around and I want you to succeed. As my dad says, let the thought be father to the act. Post some updates, start participating in the forum and get the damn job done.

All the best,

Ted Timmis
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2018, at 6:39 AM, James Smyth <james@smyth-research.com> wrote:

Hi Ted,

I have sent you $1760 for your refund.

The money was sent to the PayPal address tedtimmis@comcast.net.
Kind regards
James

To: James Smyth <james@smyth-research.com>
Sent: Monday, 24 September 2018, 16:26
Subject: Re: A16

James,
Your reply is at best disingenuous. Your business practices are atrocious and you’ve shown extreme disrespect for me and every other person who invested in your product.
Many people, including me, began this journey with a great deal of hope and good will. Through your arrogance, you’ve pissed it all away.
First, you sold a product which didn’t exist and still doesn’t almost two years later. Secondly, you say you were aware of my frustrations and presumably those of others, but you chose not reply to any of my communications. Finally, you say you’re too busy to provide updates. What utter nonsense!
As recently as July 25, I sent you an email asking for confirmation of my order. I also spoke with your representative here in the US asking for information. Apparently, you chose not to reply. It was only after I loudly proclaimed that I would pursue a criminal complaint that you chose to respond.
Yes, I will gladly take a refund and I think you owe a huge apology to those who “purchased” from you.
Sincerely,
Ted Timmis

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2018, at 10:20 AM, James Smyth <james@smyth-research.com> wrote:

Dear Mr Timmis,
We are aware of your frustrations regarding the delayed shipping of the A16 pre-order commitments.
Whilst we have not, to date, had any communications from you requesting a refund, we are willing to offer you a full refund of your pre-order price of $1690 for the A16 (2U) plus shipping $70, for a total and immediate refund of $1760 USD.
Please respond to this offer as soon as possible.
Kind regards,
James

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #3,714 of 16,050
Doesn't say anything of the kind. Obviously the Smyths could never allow themselves to be placed in a position where they refused to refund a preorder when they're two years late in fulfilling it as that WOULD cause a donor stampede.

I don't see any reason to believe that Ossic has their product ready. Years after the Kickstarter closed they produced a very small number of units and the only reports we have on those units are that they weren't very good. Ossic burned the money that should have gone to manufacture and shipping on R&D and Marketing. Because they had so many preorders they faced a massive bill to manufacture and deliver their headphones with no money left to do it. They didn't fall $1 short of succeeding, they fell well over $1million short.

Smyth has far fewer orders and has completed some stages of manufacture so they aren't facing the same massive hurdle to get out the product. That doesn't mean they can't simply run out of money, but it does mean that there isn't this huge obstacle built into the process of bringing the A16 to market.

If you go into the figures you will find it was exactly the amount they burned on online marketing which would have been enough to send all backers the product.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #3,715 of 16,050
May i suggest that if anyone else want a refund, he ask here first if somebody else is interested in buying it?

Because the preorder price is such a bargain compared to the new release price !

It would be nice to let somebody else benefit from it.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #3,716 of 16,050
Here are some words to make your wait even more painfull....

I have received my Audeze Mobius a few days ago and this has allowed me be to discover the head tracking feature. And all i can say is it's mindblowing. It makes such a difference. You really feel "disconnected" from the audio stage as it doens't move when you move your head.

It allows dynamic listening too: for exemple when listening to a band with various singers and/or instruments you can choose to listen more to one of them by just "looking" at them, this way you hear it just if you were actually looking at it.

i'm dying to experience this with my A16 and HD800s !!!

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,717 of 16,050
May i suggest that if anyone else want a refund, he ask here first if somebody else is interested in buying it?

Because the preorder price is such a bargain compared to the new release price !

It would be nice to let somebody else benefit from it.
What a great idea, hopefully others who want to give up, can give to someone else their place.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #3,718 of 16,050
What a great idea, hopefully others who want to give up, can give to someone else their place.

I have one at preorder price that I certainly will not give up or ask a refund for.
On the contrary, if someone has one at Kickstarter price and is willing to sell it with a small profit I'd happily take it.
Moneymakers need not apply.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,719 of 16,050
Great. Now that that’s settled, may I recommend that any customer service (or lack thereof) comments or complaints be posted in the Smith customer service thread, so that we can focus on the technical merits of the A16 in this one? Thanks.

It's about time the mods cleaned up this thread and moved all that bull that has been going on for a year.
Imagine once the A16 is out and you want to find something useful how useless this thread will be.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #3,720 of 16,050
It's about time the mods cleaned up this thread and moved all that bull**** that has been going on for a year.
Imagine once the A16 is out and you want to find something useful how useless this thread will be.
You have to understand the frustration some people are for waiting more than 2 years for the Realiser A16.
Hopefully soon we will get a proper update about the real shipping date.
Now let's get back on topic.
Actually i like the thread as it os and just hope that more will be more optimistic about this project coming to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back