Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #3,677 of 16,081
Read their page, and they do a custom hrtf, and claim their amp will drive most studio phones (pretty sure it could drive my LCD X;s). Lots of people aren't going to need or want anything more sophisticated than Netflix movies and Tidal decoded which I'm pretty sure this thing could handle nicely esp since I can run everything through JRiver and have it output PCM audio to USB, so it would work for most things I (and I think a lot of other people) listen to, but I don't think it would have head tracking. Also, they mention the dongle/amp and phones are only the first product offerings--among other possible future product offerings they list software basd apps which would run on regular PCs. YEA!

Be interesting to see how it compares with OOYH as well.

In any case, the unit would certainly be ideal for either a phone or tablet when OTG. Think I might break out the credit card tomorrow morn.

Uuhhmm, there might be an issue regarding breaking out the credit card at this point, unless you reside within Singapore or are having it shipped there... Everyone else can only reserve one, and there are no credit cards involved in that yet... I guess they'll make it available to ship everywhere else sooner rather than later... so some patience may be required :)

Yup. Looks like if you’re not in Singapore you’ll have to wait until November.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/creative-sxfi-amp-preview/

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #3,681 of 16,081
Useless crap. No multichannel on PS4, doesn’t work on Xbox, only works with crappy headphones, ... Just another gimmick.
Maybe it's useless for you but for others it may be very useful.
For me it's useless since it doesn't work with iOS and my point would be to use it when i'm not at home (since someday i'll have the A16 at home...), but Android users can find it very useful to enjoy multichannel sound on movies on the go (or simply expended stereo sound for music).
As for "only works with crappy headphones", why is that ? you can plug any headphones on it for what i understood and it's supposed to have the juice to drive rather demanding cans...

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #3,682 of 16,081
The Super X-Fi sounds very interesting as it does a personalized HRTF based on Photos of ears and head.
Looks to me that they use the technology from this company that has been linked earlier in the thread: http://pro.3dsoundlabs.com/category/personal-hrtfs/
Looks very similar, so I think they did the research and built the database and Creative is now making products based on that.
Very nice to have potential alternatives. A standalone unit with decoding would be nice or an AVR that hase their chip integrated.
What's missing ist the EQ-ing of the headphones. I think this is important to get them sound right because the frequency response of headphones could be very different.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #3,683 of 16,081
The Super X-Fi sounds very interesting as it does a personalized HRTF based on Photos of ears and head.
Looks to me that they use the technology from this company that has been linked earlier in the thread: http://pro.3dsoundlabs.com/category/personal-hrtfs/
Looks very similar, so I think they did the research and built the database and Creative is now making products based on that.
Very nice to have potential alternatives. A standalone unit with decoding would be nice or an AVR that hase their chip integrated.
What's missing ist the EQ-ing of the headphones. I think this is important to get them sound right because the frequency response of headphones could be very different.
That's what Sonarworks is for.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #3,684 of 16,081
It seems that some headphone models will be "certified" by Creative, meaning that Creative already measured those headphones on a variety of ears, and thus the EQ will be matched to your ears.

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #3,685 of 16,081
I like the price first of all, and if they sound better then Audeze Mobius i am in. What a treat that will be especially watching movies. Hopefully someone in Singapore will get and report back. And i like the idea of being able to use any headphones. Something like the Dragonfly red USB dongle with added features :)

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #3,686 of 16,081
I like the price first of all, and if they sound better then Audeze Mobius i am in. What a treat that will be especially watching movies. Hopefully someone in Singapore will get and report back. And i like the idea of being able to use any headphones. Something like the Dragonfly red USB dongle with added features :)
Which added features of Dragonfly red - is there a new feature i do not know?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #3,687 of 16,081
Maybe it's useless for you but for others it may be very useful.
For me it's useless since it doesn't work with iOS and my point would be to use it when i'm not at home (since someday i'll have the A16 at home...), but Android users can find it very useful to enjoy multichannel sound on movies on the go (or simply expended stereo sound for music).
As for "only works with crappy headphones", why is that ? you can plug any headphones on it for what i understood and it's supposed to have the juice to drive rather demanding cans...

"After creating your profile, you select from a list of certified headphones or earphones. It's mostly Creative gear, but the app will work with say, Apple's Beats Solo3. You can also choose a default uncertified headphone or in-ear profile, though Creative says the sound may not be quite as good."

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/creative-sxfi-amp-preview/

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3,688 of 16,081
It seems that some headphone models will be "certified" by Creative, meaning that Creative already measured those headphones on a variety of ears, and thus the EQ will be matched to your ears.
Think a lot of us are following the Smyth model which is to nuke out the transfer function of your headphone and give it the transfer function of some loudspeaker playing in a room. I think the Creative model is more about saying "if you like your headphone's transfer function, you can keep your headphone's transfer" while adding to it the dimensional quality of speakers playing in a good room.
In other words you keep the excellent phase, voicing, and high dynamic range of your LCD Xs, for example, but they now have the same voicing and play "Out of Your Head".

I don't know why this wouldn't be just as good an alternative as sticking mics in your ears and recording the transfer function of, say, Revel Salons in some stereo showroom.

Btw, the dongle is about the size of the DAC on the Cypher cable, or the Dragonfly or the GO1000, so I don't know why it couldn't work with big boy phones.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3,689 of 16,081
Duplicate post removed

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #3,690 of 16,081
Ok, i hadn't seen that part.
Yet, it's still possible to use any headphones. They may update the software over time to support more headphones. I guess more reviews will come to give more point of views and then users will also give their feedback to see if the device is really efficient or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back