Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,051 of 16,050
I've preordered the 2U box, and though the wood accents are appealing, I wish they would offer metal such as aluminum. I think that would complete the look in an elegant, modern way and add some visual interest.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #1,052 of 16,050
It's obvious that both the shape and jack placement will greatly affect harmonic distortion. One will give you a more authentic room environment, while the other a space where there's no sound bouncing off of any of the corners.

Also, relevant to your previous post:

7rINgz8.jpg

Dude, at least put a NSFW warning.... sheesh :yum:

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #1,055 of 16,050
Oh ok !! Actually this time I opened the page on my phone rather than on my computer and since the picture appeared my smaller, it struck me straight away. When you see the picture in big size, it's much less obvious...

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,057 of 16,050
Still wondering what the timing for the Kickstarter delivery is.
Originally it was May 2017.
In their July Update Stephen Smyth wrote:

The A16 board assembly will begin August and we should have these back in the UK mid September at the latest. The HDMI 2.0b hardware is also in manufacture and due for delivery to us early September. We would like to think that final assembly and test will begin before the end of September.

Anyone with more infos?

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #1,059 of 16,050
I would think we should be getting info soon since there should be an end of the month progress report and Thursday is the last day of the month.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,060 of 16,050
You meant 1 of about every 15 thousand people in Canada (high estimate) right? Or did Canada suddenly have a major population loss? Because I'm fairly sure there aren't going to be 2.4 million units in Canada. Not for a long while and without major advertising at least. It's very niche. Most people have never heard of it, and even of those that have, not many would be willing to pay the asking price (which IMO is cheap if the production models deliver exactly the same experience as the prototype).

As Fox1977 said, I meant I am 1 of 14 people in the whole country who have Kickstarted this thing. So there will be approximately 1 realiser for every 2.6 million people in my country not counting preorders.

I just bought a Stax amp from a guy who lives about a 2 hour drive from me. While having a phone conversation with him I found out that he also Kickstarted one. 36 million people in this country and I met one of a handful that ordered this. Small world.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,061 of 16,050
I was gonna run the "easy to drive" TH900s on this thing, so I shot an email to James about how much power it puts into 25 ohms. Apparently the data sheet on the website about "revised User A headphone amplifier capabilities" is outdated, and they nerfed the f out of the amp. Puts only 215mw into 25 ohms. I was so stoked to just get this unit, but now I gotta stack an amp. Is the DAC trash too? Are you guys just using it as a DSP?

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #1,062 of 16,050
That's the beauty of the unit - it'll be able to be used at any location in your audio chain.

I'll definitely be trying it with different components for the different headphones etc.

That said - they seem happy driving the HD800's with the A16 which require at least a little bit more power that standard cans, so I don't think the output will be too bad all things considered.

The "balanced" option may also give a bit more leeway powerwise (don't quote me on that)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #1,063 of 16,050
I was gonna run the "easy to drive" TH900s on this thing, so I shot an email to James about how much power it puts into 25 ohms. Apparently the data sheet on the website about "revised User A headphone amplifier capabilities" is outdated, and they nerfed the f out of the amp. Puts only 215mw into 25 ohms. I was so stoked to just get this unit, but now I gotta stack an amp. Is the DAC trash too? Are you guys just using it as a DSP?
"only 215mW into 25ohm" will still get you past 120dB loud on that headphone. even taking the conservative values of innerfidelity's th900 mkII showing higher impedance and lower sensitivity, you still achieve 120dB with those specs. so you can stack an amp, but apparently you don't gotta :wink:

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,064 of 16,050
That's the beauty of the unit - it'll be able to be used at any location in your audio chain.

I'll definitely be trying it with different components for the different headphones etc.

That said - they seem happy driving the HD800's with the A16 which require at least a little bit more power that standard cans, so I don't think the output will be too bad all things considered.

The "balanced" option may also give a bit more leeway powerwise (don't quote me on that)
Yeah, running balanced gets us double.

"only 215mW into 25ohm" will still get you past 120dB loud on that headphone. even taking the conservative values of innerfidelity's th900 mkII showing higher impedance and lower sensitivity, you still achieve 120dB with those specs. so you can stack an amp, but apparently you don't gotta :wink:
Even if I run balanced at 430mW, TH900 MKII's can take up to 1800mW. I heard that, despite sensitivity, a lower power amp will render the bass anemic with a narrower overall dynamic range. Even if I get the A16 and it sounds great, that thought's gonna be stuck in my head about how much better it could be.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #1,065 of 16,050
Personally, I'd have it stuck in my head that the A16 could be much better with open cans than the closed ones, rather than max power vs running secondary amp.

(not knocking the Fostex's, but using you current amp to feed them from the A16 would have no negatives as far as I can tell - bypass the "weak" one with zero downside)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back