Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 2, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #1,066 of 16,011
well if you wish to blow up your drivers, which is the 1800mW you mention, then indeed you need another amp. but I'm no sure it is the usual way to estimate power needs ^_^.
as for anemic bass and narrower dynamic range, I've seen a great many posts claiming the weirdest things about extraordinary power needs without evidence or any objective reason, but I'm yet to find even one of those guys with an explanation that doesn't crumble upon scrutiny. they are always very sure of themselves, but would miss "small" details like proper testing, or how the 2 amps used as "evidence" in their experience are totally different designs, components, and specs. nothing is the same, but somehow they magically can tell that all the audible differences must come from the power spec :thinking:. I wish I had that skill to turn wild guess into a certainty.
so if that's your only reason to want an extra amp, I really advise against wasting money. even more so when this headphone isn't your typical low sensitivity and/or high impedance headphone that powerful amps are usually designed to drive. quite a few arguments could be made about the risk to get objectively worst sound because of those 25ohm. you might want an extra amp, but maybe one designed for IEMs with real low impedance and at least 2Vrms into 25ohm would be a better option overall. I personally wouldn't jump on a power amp for that headphone without a few measurements into that load or the ability to test myself.

that said, if you find an amplifier you like(sound, look, synergy, whatever), of course you should follow your own preferences and make yourself happy. and of course if you have a good amp, it's very possible that it will do a little better than what's inside the A16. but don't fall for the "more power is always better" nonsense. half the advocates of that idea don't understand the first thing about electricity.

anyway, all this is my opinion based on very scarce specs. I haven't tested that headphone, nor the A16. but the specs we have do not scream to buy a new amp for this headphone.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,067 of 16,011
It's too early to worry about the amp circuit in the A16: a certain amount of 'suck it and see' is involved here, and while there is obviously a value to having headroom on a headphone amplifier, it only needs to drive comfortably to the listening volume, which in my case is not that loud in the first place.

If the processing works as hoped, I'll be happy to provide external amplification (if required) but I don't plan on it.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #1,069 of 16,011
I don't think we have too much to worry about, the August 24 update wasn't that long ago. As customers we tend to sit around getting antsy turning 2 weeks into 2 months in our minds.
The Smyth team is fairly small and I am sure they are in crunch mode with a lot of stuff on their plate. We probably can't imagine the logistics of launching a new product and everything that entails.
Personally I want them focused on the product itself. We as customers just need patience.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,070 of 16,011
I don't think we have too much to worry about

I agree, nothing to worry about but I feel that companies seeking crowdfunding often underestimate their responsibility to keep their backers informed. For me Kickstarter is a process: it's not about an ordering a thing and awaiting a shipping notice. I would like there to be a whole lot more 'here's what we've decided and here's why' about projects. With such long advance pledges, a little hand-holding wouldn't go amiss, especially on a device as expensive as this.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,072 of 16,011
No update is a good sign, isn't it?
I get nervous. May was promised. 3 months over time and no fixed delivery date?

They're in crunch time. Not surprised there hasn't been an update. Schiit's owners will disappear when they are close to a product launch. I wish they would throw us a bone, but I'm sure they're working extremely long days right now. Sure we'll get something soon.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,073 of 16,011
No update is a good sign, isn't it?
I get nervous. May was promised. 3 months over time and no fixed delivery date?

I sure hope so!

They're in crunch time. Not surprised there hasn't been an update. Schiit's owners will disappear when they are close to a product launch. I wish they would throw us a bone, but I'm sure they're working extremely long days right now. Sure we'll get something soon.

My only hope is that whenever they do post an update that it is one with a fairly solid shipping date.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #1,074 of 16,011
The did put a pic of the rack and the stand on their facebook page the other day so there's life there at least :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,076 of 16,011
Last progress update was 6 weeks ago. I understand that the Smyth brothers must be very busy preparing the release of the A16, but we have been waiting for over a year. The wait is already a bit frustrating (though one could say that 90% of the pleasure and excitement resides in the wait...) but not knowing really WHEN we will get it brings frustration to a higher level... Most of us are not asking for an extensive update about how everything is going and we'd be just satisfied with a few lines saying for example "everything is going smoothly and we should start shipping at the beginning of october" or "unfortunately, we had again a few setbacks but we should be able to start shipping in november" (hope not !). Basically, the only question that matters most right now for most of us is WHEN ?? and that would be great is they could answer it very soon (unless they are waiting a little bit more to surprise us very soon with a "hey guys, we started shipping already" but i doubt it !)

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,077 of 16,011
Last progress update was 6 weeks ago. I understand that the Smyth brothers must be very busy preparing the release of the A16, but we have been waiting for over a year. The wait is already a bit frustrating (though one could say that 90% of the pleasure and excitement resides in the wait...) but not knowing really WHEN we will get it brings frustration to a higher level... Most of us are not asking for an extensive update about how everything is going and we'd be just satisfied with a few lines saying for example "everything is going smoothly and we should start shipping at the beginning of october" or "unfortunately, we had again a few setbacks but we should be able to start shipping in november" (hope not !). Basically, the only question that matters most right now for most of us is WHEN ?? and that would be great is they could answer it very soon (unless they are waiting a little bit more to surprise us very soon with a "hey guys, we started shipping already" but i doubt it !)
Fully agree!

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,078 of 16,011

I would expect to hear "We have passed certification re HDMI etc" before we hear about shipping.

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,080 of 16,011
Looks like there is a data sheet up at MDS with some info about their 5th gen HDMI repeater boards. The ones we will be getting should be the HSR-41Q. That is just a guess though nothing official from Smyth.

http://www.mds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HSR-5th_rev2b.pdf
When the Smyths informed us back in April about a three-month delay (they were at that time expecting to start shipping in August), they were mentioning "we almost certainly will be able to include the new MDS HDMI 2.0a (4k HDR) board in each unit" but on the progress report from July, 30th they wrote "The HDMI 2.0b hardware is also in manufacture and due for delivery to us early September". So clearly, they managed to upgrade in the meantime from the HDMI 2.0a board (that was already an improvement from the one they had planned in the first place) to the 2.0b board (likely this 5th generation board you are mentioning). So i guess despite our frustration, it's worth the wait... (still, i hope the wait to close to the end !)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back