Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #1,096 of 15,986
Back in May:
Keeping up with their announcements, I have no idea how they expect to start shipping in August. It also seems like every few months they push the date back another month or two too. If they were wanting to start shipping in August (even the last week), then why are they still demoing "prototype" models even in July, and why are they now just showcasing "samples for metalwork"? They haven't even begun production on them yet.

If they actually release these this year, I don't actually see them shipping before November at this rate.
I agree, you told us so. Still I had high hopes and believed what they told us.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #1,097 of 15,986
I hadn't thought of this before, but is there any reason the A16 could not be used as the preamp processor on a multi channel (up to 16 channels) full featured home theatre processor. It will decode all the advanced formats, has 16 channels of analog output, volume control. All that would be required is to hook up a multi channel amp(s). Is this possible, or am I missing something here.

As pcfi said. Yes, it does. And when you look at the photo of the back of the headstand, you see the outputs on the lower half.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #1,098 of 15,986
Not only is this possible it looks as if it will do volume/EQ/delay on analog outs to match a room measurement?? Obviously the Realiser cant remove unwanted reflections and such, but being able to match volume/eq against a studio setup could make a huge difference (especially if you are throwing together whatever amplifiers and speakers you have laying about, using unmatched components, etc)

The only loss is to your audiophile cred for using analog mini-jack outputs in your signal path.

From Stephen Smyth on Kickstarter page:

HDMI in -> decoding -> xx Channels -> volume, delay, PEQ per channel -> xx channel analog out
or
HDMI in -> decoding -> xx Channels -> volume, delay, PEQ per channel -> SVS virtualiser -> two channel virtualised HP out.

Both are correct.

The DTS:X and Dolby Atmos decoding running on the board we buy from MDS is currently limited to 12 channels. Presently no audio DSP company (TI, ADI etc) offers Atmos/DTS:X implementations that exceed 12 speakers at this time so we have no real way of avoiding this limitation. One option is to use the Illusonic up-mixer to convert 7.1.4ch to 9.1.6ch, so perhaps this will provide some motivation for measuring a 9.1.6ch speaker system.
Looking at the datasheet, the illusonic upmixer / analog outs can be used in lieu of Headphone B output, so this can run concurrently with the main headphone output.

But it seems no automatic measurement for setting level, delay and PEQ (also from the same Kickstarter page, but posted by a backer):

"So the Realiser can be used as a pre-amp for Dolby Atmos or DTS-X, the only thing missing is an automatic measuring system like Audyssey etc. You have to measure yourself with an SPL-meter the channel levels and calculate the delay by measuring the speaker distances. and when you can measure freq. response (like I do) you can also setup the PEQ per channel."

What I am going to try (for clarity: I am now speaking of how to get the levels, delays and PEQ for the real-world speakers in my room, if I want to use the Realiser as a surround processor/pre-amp and listen to the real speakers instead of headphones):
I have one 7.1 AV Receiver with auto eq, I use that to do the measurement of 7 speakers, write down the levels, delays and PEQ settings (yes a lot of work), and later manually set these settings in the Realiser (assuming the PEQs in the Realiser can accept the same discrete values for frequency, gain and Q, but I hope and suspect this wil be the case).
To get a measurement of a complete 15 channel system I have to repeat the proces with other speakers connected to the same receiver. However keep at least one common speaker (I would suggest the 2 main front speakers) in all the "speaker subset measurements" to make sure to have a common reference for level and delay. If you get a different value for level and/or delay for the same speaker in two subset measurements you can adjust all values in one subset to match the other subset.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,099 of 15,986
But it seems no automatic measurement for setting level, delay and PEQ (also from the same Kickstarter page, but posted by a backer):

"So the Realiser can be used as a pre-amp for Dolby Atmos or DTS-X, the only thing missing is an automatic measuring system like Audyssey etc. You have to measure yourself with an SPL-meter the channel levels and calculate the delay by measuring the speaker distances. and when you can measure freq. response (like I do) you can also setup the PEQ per channel."

What I am going to try (for clarity: I am now speaking of how to get the levels, delays and PEQ for the real-world speakers in my room, if I want to use the Realiser as a surround processor/pre-amp and listen to the real speakers instead of headphones):
I have one 7.1 AV Receiver with auto eq, I use that to do the measurement of 7 speakers, write down the levels, delays and PEQ settings (yes a lot of work), and later manually set these settings in the Realiser (assuming the PEQs in the Realiser can accept the same discrete values for frequency, gain and Q, but I hope and suspect this wil be the case).
To get a measurement of a complete 15 channel system I have to repeat the proces with other speakers connected to the same receiver. However keep at least one common speaker (I would suggest the 2 main front speakers) in all the "speaker subset measurements" to make sure to have a common reference for level and delay. If you get a different value for level and/or delay for the same speaker in two subset measurements you can adjust all values in one subset to match the other subset.
Ypu cpu;d just buy something like Dirac Live multicannel (which will do up to 7.1 channels) if you run all or most everything off of streaming sources or local library PC files.

Sep 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,100 of 15,986
Does anyone think a good two channel system could benefit from using the headphone algorithm? Anyone going to try it? With the RCA outs, already encoded with the VSS (most will use this for a headphone amp), could it be awesome in the sweet spot of a 2 channel system?

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,102 of 15,986
Definitely. I mostly listen to two channel on my A8. I made a PRIR without crosstalk, and it sounds even better than the real speakers.

That's awesome to read. I'm going to set it up and try it. I'll use headphones by myself, but improved surround effects through my 2 channel system could be a great addition when entertaining!

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,103 of 15,986
Definitely. I mostly listen to two channel on my A8. I made a PRIR without crosstalk, and it sounds even better than the real speakers.

@Erik Garci: I think that is not what Mbyrnes meant, he meant sending the already SVS processed signal intended for the headphones to a stereo pair of speakers.

@mbyrnes: I think Erik Garci is talking about something else: listening over headphones to the simulation of a 2 channel system (with some modification concerning cross talk)

Or am I mistaken here?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,105 of 15,986
I plan to try it with the Yarra 3DX. It uses beam-forming to reduce crosstalk.

This article at Stereophile mentions that the A8 was used in a recent demo. You can see the A8 in the photo.
JA's Second Report from the LA Show

This is more relevant to what mbyrnes was asking.
There is another unit out there (name escapes me at the moment) that costs upwards of $30k designed to do exactly that, the write up in Stereophile was about a demo using Kef LS50s, and the reviewer made it sound like a revolutionary product.

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,108 of 15,986

The Bacch processor is designed to play binaural recordings, like the Chesky Binaural + series and the Binaural DSD Downloads you find on NativeDSD Music, over loudspeakers.
Different from the Smyth which is designed to take movies and surround sound music recordings, not made binaurally, and play them over Stereo headphones.

The Bacch is interesting. But the effects vary in the listening demo I heard at one of the audio shows.

In some cases, instruments appeared "outside" the left and right speakers (as intended).
But on other tracks, the instrumentalists came towards you (the trumpeter is out to get you) vs. across the front. (Not as intended).

Needs more development to my ears. Not yet "revolutionary". :)

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,109 of 15,986
The A8 can simulate this approach in dual-user mode, as follows. You load any regular PRIR (either your own or someone else's) into preset 1, 2 or 3 for user 1. You load your own two-channel crosstalk-free PRIR into preset 4 for user 2, which uses two input channels that are not being used by the first PRIR. You feed the source to the inputs for user 1, feed the output for user 1 to the input for user 2, and feed the output for user 2 to your headphones. Basically you are applying the second PRIR to the result of the first PRIR. You can hear on headphones what that the first PRIR would sound like on crosstalk-free speakers. In addition, it might help make someone else's PRIR sound better to you.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,110 of 15,986
In addition, it might help make someone else's PRIR sound better to you.

Thank you for sharing, Eric!
So each user can select different inputs simultaneously?
I thought both were stuck to the same source.
Do you use an rca cable or a spdif to connect the user 1 output to user 2 input?
Have you already tried such superposition of others preset with your own preset? Does it improve the brir to you?
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back