Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,111 of 16,011
Sep 17, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,113 of 16,011
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,114 of 16,011
Thank you for sharing, Eric!
So each user can select different inputs simultaneously?
I thought both were stuck to the same source.
Do you use an rca cable or a spdif to connect the user 1 output to user 2 input?
The A8 has 8 analog RCA inputs that can be assigned as desired. User 1 uses 6 inputs (or fewer), and user 2 uses the remaining 2 inputs.

Source ==6RCA==> Preset1(User1) ==2RCA==> Preset4(User2) ==2RCA==> Headphones

Have you already tried such superposition of others preset with your own preset? Does it improve the brir to you?
Cheers!
I have not tried yet but plan to soon. I will post my impressions afterwards.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #1,115 of 16,011
Last time I researched the calibration process was a while ago, so might be wrong, but assuming one is willing to go the "85%" route and just download a room calibration (BRIR), my understanding is you can just then do your own HPEQ on top of that, which seems simple enough (done with headphones on), and you're done. You won't get the full experience but it would still be a lot better than a generic HRTF. Or, download a BRIR from an awesome speaker setup, then do a PRIR on top of that with your not-as-awesome-speaker(s), then do the HPEQ.

My understanding is you have two options: (1) do a calibration in a hifi speaker setup/studio/theater (wherever) or (2) download one of those, then do a calibration using any speaker you have laying around, like a tweeter or something, by moving your head. Then the A16 will mix option (2) with whatever you downloaded. Then on top of that you do an HPEQ calibration, with the headphones on.

Illram, I am afraid it does not work that way, you are mixing things up
1. The HPEQ measurement should (normally) always be used (to take the “signature” of the headphones out of the equation), also in combination with a generic HRTF. What you describe as the “85%” route is simply using a generic HRTF (and hence not a lot better than a generic HRTF).
2. “Personalising” a BRIR with a PRIR is not something you can do yourself with the Realiser, it is one of the services (backoffice functions I think they called it) that will be offered on the Realiser Exchange Website. (And I don't know when this function will be available, how long it takes before you receive your “merged” PRIR back, and if they will charge a fee for this service.)

(I joined this forum recently and working through this whole thread, hence this late reaction on these older posts)

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #1,116 of 16,011
“Personalising” a BRIR with a PRIR is not something you can do yourself with the Realiser, it is one of the services (backoffice functions I think they called it) that will be offered on the Realiser Exchange Website. (And I don't know when this function will be available, how long it takes before you receive your “merged” PRIR back, and if they will charge a fee for this service.)
No I think you can do this at home. See this statement from their website:

Indeed, PRIR measurements, for the purpose of enhancing a high quality BRIR, can easily be made at home using only a single tweeter connected to the mono speaker output (A16) and using the ONE measurement with the new head tracking pilot guidance system to establish the appropriate head-to-tweeter orientations. While tedious, measuring a PRIR file for personalising BRIRs would theoretically only need to be made once, provided a good range of different tweeter-to-head positions were included during such a measurement.

I thought that was the point of the exchange, i.e. if you don't have access to a studio, download a BRIR and personalize it. I remain under the impression that what I said earlier is correct. If I am wrong I'd be grateful if you or someone can lay out the correct process of getting your own personalization up and running if you lack access to your own hi-fi room to do your measurements.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #1,117 of 16,011
No I think you can do this at home. See this statement from their website:

I thought that was the point of the exchange, i.e. if you don't have access to a studio, download a BRIR and personalize it. I remain under the impression that what I said earlier is correct. If I am wrong I'd be grateful if you or someone can lay out the correct process of getting your own personalization up and running if you lack access to your own hi-fi room to do your measurements.

The PRIR can be made at home as described with only the tweeter. The PRIR and BRIR than have to be sent to the Realiser Exchange Website where back-end processing will combine the information into a new PRIR (or maybe it is called a new BRIR). ("Personalisation of a BRIR", the first of the "Back-end Signal Processing Functions")

see: http://smyth-research.com/vaxchange.html
under "Service 3: Back-end Signal Processing Functions"
"1. Personalisation of a BRIR
A BRIR of a high fidelity sound room can be personalised using information from a member’s PRIR. ..."

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,120 of 16,011
That's pretty lame if I have to pay them more money to do that.

It is not sure they will charge a fee. Maybe if you buy a BRIR in the Virtual Store personalising is free (or included in the BRIR price). Or maybe they will only ask a reasonable small fee.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,121 of 16,011
So without utilizing their "back-end" services, which may or may not require a fee and may or may not be immediately available on release, and which will take an undisclosed amount of time, the only option for folks who do not have access to their own hifi equipment or a nice studio to do a PRIR is to use one of the generic ones and then do an HPEQ? That's mildly disappointing.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,122 of 16,011
I never understood that personalizing a BRIR with our own HRTF would be a service coming with a fee. I thought it would just be a functionality of the Realiser Exchange, some automated process.
Talks about the Realiser Exchange were only mentioning that BRIRs could be proposed for free or for a fee, but that was it.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,123 of 16,011
I never understood that personalizing a BRIR with our own HRTF would be a service coming with a fee. I thought it would just be a functionality of the Realiser Exchange, some automated process.
Talks about the Realiser Exchange were only mentioning that BRIRs could be proposed for free or for a fee, but that was it.

I am now scared I started some kind of panic here, it was just my guess that there may be a fee for personalising a BRIR, but then again maybe there will not be a fee

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,124 of 16,011
No panic, just surprised I guess that I thought I had this figured out a while ago and am now unsure (again) how it all works.

I emailed them about if it will cost extra $$ etc. and will see if they respond, no point in speculating really. I imagine the Exchange is on the back burner for them right now given they are (I presume) in the midst of trying to get the Realiser itself produced and shipped, but if I hear back I will let people here know. (They may not even know at this point.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back