Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 30, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #14,896 of 16,046
Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #14,897 of 16,046
@rubantripleface:
I was wondering about that A16 that you can buy, does it have DTS X and Auro 3D activated/licensed?
In case you didn't know: Standard the A16 only supports Dolby (incl. HD and Atmos) and of course PCM up to 7.1. You can upgrade to DTS X, or DTS X and Auro 3D (DTS is needed for Auro 3D) but it will cost US $199 plus taxes for DTS X, Auro 3D I cannot find the price but I think it is a similar amount(?).
The seller told me that it has the Auro 3D licence but not the DTS one. After a few exchanges, I think the announce was a scam unfortunately...

May 30, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #14,899 of 16,046
The seller told me that it has the Auro 3D licence but not the DTS one. After a few exchanges, I think the announce was a scam unfortunately...
As far as I remember, DTS is a requirement to be able to get the Auro upgrade, so no Auro without DTS.

May 30, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #14,900 of 16,046
May 30, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #14,901 of 16,046
I am wondering if the A16 can decode "DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)" that is available on this U2 blu ray https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/U2-360-Degrees-at-the-Rose-Bowl-Blu-ray/10751/ ? It has a dolby 5.1 track but the reviews say that the DTS track is better sounding.
Unless you've bought the DTS:X license or, or some reason, it came bundled with your A16, it can only play back raw PCM or Dolby Atmos (or Dolby Digital).

I have not upgraded my A16 to the DTS X?
I've got no idea why that is supposed to be a question. It's your A16, you really should know.

May 30, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #14,902 of 16,046
I am wondering if the A16 can decode "DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)" that is available on this U2 blu ray https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/U2-360-Degrees-at-the-Rose-Bowl-Blu-ray/10751/ ? It has a dolby 5.1 track but the reviews say that the DTS track is better sounding. I have not upgraded my A16 to the DTS X? Thanks
Many blu-ray players can decode DTS up to 7.1 channel and output it as multichannel PCM, so even if your A16 doesn't support DTS you may still be able to listen to that track.

May 30, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #14,903 of 16,046
Many blu-ray players can decode DTS up to 7.1 channel and output it as multichannel PCM, so even if your A16 doesn't support DTS you may still be able to listen to that track.
Yes, like the Oppo players do if you set the HDMI audio output mode to LPCM. Then it would deliver PCM audio to the A16, and you'd be listening through a PCM room on the A16, not a DTS room. All automatic of course on the A16 which would pick the correct configuration depending on the arriving source format.

But as you say, in this case it would be the Oppo that would be doing the decoding of the original DTS-MA 7.1 audio, not the A16. If you set the Oppo to send HDMI audio out as bitstream, then the A16 would have figured out that it was getting a DTS-MA 7.1 source and treat it as a DTS room, which would require the DTS:X upgrade.

I have my own Oppo 203 and also a copy of the BluRay 4K UHD disc "Life of Pi" which has an English DTS-MA 7.1 audio track (as well as multiple lossy foreign language DD5.1. tracks). Since there is also an English "descriptive" DD5.1 audio track I'm going to guess there was also a "non-descriptive" DD5.1 audio track that probably would have been presented to me if I'd not been using an Oppo 203 which supports the DTS-MA 7.1 audio. Can't be sure. But there is no English DD5.1 with "non-descriptive".

Anyway, in planning my reply to your question I decided to explore for myself what exactly the A16 would do when I sent this DTS-MA 7.1 audio to it as "bitstream" (since my A16 is fully HDMI/firmware upgraded and license enabled for both DTS:X and Auro-3D). Turns out the experiment was a learning experience. Yes, it was of course accepted and decoded perfectly by the A16. But it was also "upmixed with Neural X", which upon investigation turns out to be because I had not enabled "DTS Direct" in the preset!

In fact I hadn't noticed that "DTS Direct" setting before now. But seeing "Neural X" as an active upmixer caused me to learn about it, and take appropriate action.

I am a bit of a purist, and don't normally want to listen to "faux audio" that is not what the producer originally created. So while I do appreciate the enjoyment afforded by Auro-3D's upmixer (which I agree seems to be the best of the lot) when only 2.0 PCM stereo is the source, I normally don't want to artificially further enhance native 5.1 or 7.1 just to feed sound to artificially simulated height and presence speakers that I don't even have and therefore never "really measured" for my ears into a real PRIR.

Nevertheless... I have now enabled "DTS Direct" on my non-immersive 5.1 and 7.1 presets, in order to disable "Neural X" specifically if I want to listen "as a purist" to a source disc with the exact audio DTS-MA 5.1/7.1 track that it might come with. However I have NOT ENABLED "DTS DIRECT" FOR MY IMMERSIVE PRESETS with DTS:X (9.1.2h), so that if I actually did want to listen to the Neural X 9.1.2h upmix of a DTS-5.1/7.1 MA audio source then I actually could.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #14,904 of 16,046
Unless you've bought the DTS:X license or, or some reason, it came bundled with your A16, it can only play back raw PCM or Dolby Atmos (or Dolby Digital).

I've got no idea why that is supposed to be a question. It's your A16, you really should know.
It was a typo putting a question mark instead of a period. I did not upgrade.

May 30, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #14,905 of 16,046
@makan: This afternoon (in Europe), I borrow a copy of the U2 360 degrees at the Rose Bowl Blu-ray disc and then post here how the audio decoding is displayed on the Realiser A16 screen. As I’ve upgraded my A16 to the DTS-X, which means all legacy DTS formats, I don’t expect any issue with decoding DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

May 31, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #14,906 of 16,046
The U2 360 degrees at the Rose Bowl Blu-ray disc played back by my Cambridge Audio CXUHD Blu-ray player and Realiser A16. The sound signals were bitstreamed to the Realiser A16.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Picture 01: output of the player for the DTS-HD MA sound track. Picture 02: the same sound track as decoded by the Realiser A16. DTS-HD Master Audio successfully decoded by Realiser A16. However, one question might be asked. The player showed a 5.1 signal and the Realiser A16 decoded 7.1. If anyone can explain that, please post it here.

Picture 03: output of the player for the Dolby Digital sound track. Picture 04: the same sound track as decoded by the Realiser A16. A 5.1 audio signal bitstreamed and 5.1 decoded.

Attachments

• 01.DTS-MA.CA.jpg
    01.DTS-MA.CA.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.DTS-MA.A16.jpg
    02.DTS-MA.A16.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.DD.CA.jpg
    03.DD.CA.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 0
  • 04.DD.A16.jpg
    04.DD.A16.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
May 31, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #14,907 of 16,046
The U2 360 degrees at the Rose Bowl Blu-ray disc played back by my Cambridge Audio CXUHD Blu-ray player and Realiser A16. The sound signals were bitstreamed to the Realiser A16.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Picture 01: output of the player for the DTS-HD MA sound track. Picture 02: the same sound track as decoded by the Realiser A16. DTS-HD Master Audio successfully decoded by Realiser A16. However, one question might be asked. The player showed a 5.1 signal and the Realiser A16 decoded 7.1. If anyone can explain that, please post it here.

Picture 03: output of the player for the Dolby Digital sound track. Picture 04: the same sound track as decoded by the Realiser A16. A 5.1 audio signal bitstreamed and 5.1 decoded.
Thanks....did you see any appreciable sound difference between DTS and dolby?

May 31, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #14,909 of 16,046
Frankly writing, no appreciable sound difference between DTS and Dolby. However, I’m not that much of an audio expert to differentiate between Dolby digital and DTS sound tracks for this production.
Thanks...it is about enjoying the music and sound...that's all I am asking.

May 31, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #14,910 of 16,046
I finally have had time to set up my A16. I'm going USB in from my PC using Foobar. I can get sound to play, but for some reason the A16 is not displaying that I'm playing DTS music, when I am. I can only get 2 channels to show up as well, despite the fact that Foobar is showing 6 channel output (via SACD, DVDA or DTS tracks). Does anybody have a link to a tutorial on how to use Foobar on PC with their A16? I want my A16 to decode the surround sound music and then play it through my headphones in surround sound via optical output to my mDAVE.

I'm definitely an extreme noob with this A16. Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back