Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,427 of 16,011
My 2 cents is that since this is all speculation at this point, and since it seems to be taking over the thread,

Agreed - this isn't the thread for the Yarra to the depth that it's headed.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,428 of 16,011
I had a similar experience/feeling. Do you receive a mail when they do an update on kickstarter? I did not in the beginning and mailed about that. In the mail I also mentioned I was a bit worried about not receiving some kind of confirmation that I payed the full amount (other than a mail from paypal). James replied [within one day] he added me to the mailing list (which indeed he did), but not a word about my payment. After the initial $700,- payment I did receive a list of questions about delivery address, headstand or 2U and colour preference, accessories. Well, I suppose everything will be all right in the end, but indeed communication-wise improvements could be made.

Interesting, did you get a choice of silver 2u ..?
I wanted to order a 2u in silver but reluctantly have not placed an order owing to the colour issue.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,430 of 16,011
They came back after that email and are going ahead with only black 2u or silver stand due to "overwhelming" preferences that way I think.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,431 of 16,011
I had a similar experience/feeling. Do you receive a mail when they do an update on kickstarter? I did not in the beginning and mailed about that. In the mail I also mentioned I was a bit worried about not receiving some kind of confirmation that I payed the full amount (other than a mail from paypal). James replied [within one day] he added me to the mailing list (which indeed he did), but not a word about my payment. After the initial $700,- payment I did receive a list of questions about delivery address, headstand or 2U and colour preference, accessories. Well, I suppose everything will be all right in the end, but indeed communication-wise improvements could be made.

I was in the before June 30th preorder group. I was immediately added to the mailing list so that wasn't an issue. I also received the email from James asking about which enclosure I wanted etc. In the way of any sort of order number all I have is the PayPal receipt that I got for paying the initial $700 deposit and then an email from Smyth acknowledging that I had paid off the remaining balance. So nothing with a formal order number, although I suspect that Smyth is keeping that on their end, but I do have a PayPal transaction number.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #1,432 of 16,011
Interesting, did you get a choice of silver 2u ..?
I wanted to order a 2u in silver but reluctantly have not placed an order owing to the colour issue.
Indeed I got to choose both the model and the colour independently. But as others already said there will now be only the choice between silver headstand or black 2U.
From the kickstarter A16 comments page:

James Smyth Collaborator on July 31
@Nigel J. The customer survey that we sent all our customers asking them various questions was for us to get an idea of what our customers would be interested in. Unfortunately there wasn't enough demand for the black headstand & silver 2U and therefore from a business point of view it wouldn't be feasible to pursue.​

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,433 of 16,011
I assume they are still doing the wood sides for the 2U ? Does anyone have a link to those and costs?

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,434 of 16,011
an email from Smyth acknowledging that I had paid off the remaining balance
any confimation at all other than that you sent them money?
You really got a mail from Smyth themselves confirming your payment? Not just an automatic message from paypal? I only had the mail from paypal.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,435 of 16,011
You really got a mail from Smyth themselves confirming your paymant? Not just an automatic message from paypal?

I went back and looked at the emails that I have from Smyth and it looks like it was actually an email from Smyth saying they received my deposit and that they would contact mt about my shipping address and with what my final balance was. So I guess I was mistaken about getting a final balance email, and all I have that reflects paying that off is the PayPal transaction. Sorry about that.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,436 of 16,011
I went back and looked at the emails that I have from Smyth and it looks like it was actually an email from Smyth saying they received my deposit and that they would contact mt about my shipping address and with what my final balance was. So I guess I was mistaken about getting a final balance email, and all I have that reflects paying that off is the PayPal transaction. Sorry about that.
Actually it is reassuring to me that it is the same for both of us. I was afraid they only forgot to put my name somewhere and in february 2018 I am going to discover that they forgot to build and send me a Realiser!:triportsad:

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,437 of 16,011
For those interested:

- front and back HP outputs can be used at the same time.

- If anyone is looking for a HDMI splitter for some strange reason like I did: I tested an expensive HDMI Matrix from Altona and a even more expensive HDMI Distribution amplifier from CYP. Although you'd think otherwise from the info on their sites I had problems with or was unable to getting either HDR through or Atmos without PCM conversion first. Some stuff didn't work out of the box and got to work with fiddling around but then other problems occurred. Or it simply didn't work, been testing a whole weekend. :frowning2:
BUT: a simple HD Fury AVR key does the job perfectly. Full 4K 4:4:4 HDR and Atmos passthrough right out of the box for a little over 100 ...

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,438 of 16,011
For those interested:

- front and back HP outputs can be used at the same time.

- If anyone is looking for a HDMI splitter for some strange reason like I did: I tested an expensive HDMI Matrix from Altona and a even more expensive HDMI Distribution amplifier from CYP. Although you'd think otherwise from the info on their sites I had problems with or was unable to getting either HDR through or Atmos without PCM conversion first. Some stuff didn't work out of the box and got to work with fiddling around but then other problems occurred. Or it simply didn't work, been testing a whole weekend. :frowning2:
BUT: a simple HD Fury AVR key does the job perfectly. Full 4K 4:4:4 HDR and Atmos passthrough right out of the box for a little over 100 ...
I thought I was going to have to use a splitter to send the video signal with HDR to the TV and the audio to the A16, but now that they're upgrading the HDMI on the A16 to 2.0b, my understanding is that it won't be necessary anymore, that I'll be able to send the HDMI to the A16, which will process the audio and pass through the video, HDR included, to the TV.
Can somebody confirm?

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #1,439 of 16,011
I thought I was going to have to use a splitter to send the video signal with HDR to the TV and the audio to the A16, but now that they're upgrading the HDMI on the A16 to 2.0b, my understanding is that it won't be necessary anymore, that I'll be able to send the HDMI to the A16, which will process the audio and pass through the video, HDR included, to the TV.
Can somebody confirm?

You got that right. You don't need a splitter for what you want to do, the Realiser will handle it just fine.

The reason I need one is to put behind the Realiser's HDMI output so I can have the video sent to my HDR TV and audio to a soundbar that doesn't have HDR passthrough. It'll work, but only if the Realiser is in bypass mode and not when it is porcessing for the headphone output. That's no problem though since I won't be listening to the soundbar when I'm suing headphones. :wink:

I didn't want to confuse anyone, normally no one will need a splitter just weirdos like me, or people with a strange setup like mine with a difficult sounbar, a second soundbar, a monitor, a TV, an extra amp ... you get the picture.
That's why I wrote: "If anyone is looking for a HDMI splitter for some strange reason like I did".

Nov 22, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #1,440 of 16,011
You really got a mail from Smyth themselves confirming your payment? Not just an automatic message from paypal? I only had the mail from paypal.

No, and I didn't say that I did. Although I guess I can see how someone could read what I wrote that way. All I got was a confirmation that my money was sent to Smythresearch from Paypal. Also, you have 180 days to contest money that was sent through Paypal. For me, the 180 days is up at the end of next month. I know that there are some here that put down money on these well over a year ago, but that doesn't help ease my mind regarding my own deposit. It just means we will all have issues trying to get a potential refund after a point, if it comes down to that.

Also, the email that James sent out to me is probably the same thing Got the Shakes and most everyone else received, but I find part of it laughable.

Hi,

It's James from Smyth Research, and on behalf of the Smyth team I would like to thank you for paying a deposit for the Realiser A16 and believing in this amazing product.
You are now a valuable customer to us and we will update you every two weeks on the development of the Realiser A16.
Before the 30 June 2017 deadline we will contact you to confirm your shipping address and we will then tell you the final balance that remains to be paid. If you wish to pay your balance before we contact you then you must email us with your request, in order for us to confirm your address and determine your final balance.

I'm actually starting to wonder if James' email is actually a personal email at all, and instead just a bot that sends out automated messages.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back