Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,456 of 15,951
Looks like the french reseller of the A16 received one of the 25 first units already !
He posted a first picture of the remote on his Facebook page . We can see the two separate volume control for each headphones.
He will add more pictures of the A16 on sunday.

24058849_1836147283080863_7213072337422605355_n.jpg

Seeing the photo of the remote and knowing that a reseller has a unit is the first time in this process that it finally feels like we're actually close to receiving our orders. I know it will likely be a few months still, but this does feel like the light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed for no more delays.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,457 of 15,951
By the way: in the document 'A16 UI overview.pdf' that was provided or mentioned in the last update, in one of the screen shots was an option 'Calibrate Speakers (CAL) >', I wonder might there be an auto eq procedure for the speakers after all? Or would this be only for level and delay?

Good catch. I can't believe I missed that. I am going to have to go back and read that again to see what else I missed. I am getting very excited again.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,458 of 15,951
By the way: in the document 'A16 UI overview.pdf' that was provided or mentioned in the last update, in one of the screen shots was an option 'Calibrate Speakers (CAL) >', I wonder might there be an auto eq procedure for the speakers after all? Or would this be only for level and delay?

Good catch. I can't believe I missed that. I am going to have to go back and read that again to see what else I missed. I am getting very excited again.

AFAIK, speakers volume level need to be calibrated before PRIR measurements to avoid microphone and preamp overload. That option is followed by PRIR and HPEQ. On a second thought, speaker calibration seems ambiguous...

Level calibration
The first test sequence is a level calibration. Various sound systems have different gains and volume
settings. This procedure allows the Realiser to cycle through increasing signal levels to find a usable
level for the speaker test to follow. The master volume level of the system should in most cases be a least at the normal listening level.
http://www.smyth-research.com/downloads/A8manual.pdf

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,459 of 15,951
Just joined the Massdrop for the Koss ESP950. Never tried electrostats. I know they're a notch below the Stax originally used with early A16's but I've always been curious.

I've read they sound alot better with a different electrostatic amp than the Energizer provided (requiring recabling or an adapter). Any affordable recommendations? I.e. not a $6000 blue Hawaii....

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #1,460 of 15,951
"The enhancement process does
not make use of the reverberation
portion of the PRIR so the acoustics of the room used to make t
hem are irrelevant. Neither does the
enhancement process make use of the lower frequencies of the PR
IR and so the loudspeakers used
to make the PRIR measu
rement need not be full range. Indeed, PR
IR measurements, for the purpose
of enhancing a high quality BRIR, can easily be made at home us
ing only a single tweeter connected
to the mono speaker output (A16) and using the ONE measurement
with the new head tracking pilot
guidance system to establish th
e appropriate head‐to‐tweeter or
ientations."

http://www.smyth-research.com/downloads/Realiser Exchange Website.pdf

I was just sniffing around the documentation again as I had remembered seeing some thing like above in one of the docs. So if you are going to try and use a DIY PRIR with a BRIR it doesn't sound like much matters in the PRIR measurement.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,461 of 15,951
Small correction on my post from friday. The french reseller DID NOT receive a unit yet. But he got pictures from the Smyth while they are assembling the units.
According to him, everything is going smooth so far with the production in China. The software part is still in development.
Here are two more pictures :
23847188_1838208746208050_6229891302559963418_o.jpg

23926556_1838048759557382_4418608135654909141_o.jpg

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #1,462 of 15,951
These look nice, Which one to get though is the next issue, does anyone know what the size of the black one is? Would it fit neatly on a small computer desk?

I’m just worried the silver one would stretch a headphone band out of shale after a while

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,463 of 15,951
Q17: What are the dimensions of the A16 enclosures?

A17: The A16 will be available in a choice of two form factors. Form 1: Headphone Stand enclosure. Height 286mm (11.25”): Width 160mm (6.3”): Depth 176mm (6.9”). Construction will be extruded aluminium. Approximate weight 2kg (4.4lbs). Form 2: 2U 19”rack-mountable enclosure: Height 3.5” (89mm): Width 19” (483mm): Depth 6.9” (176mm). Construction will be extruded aluminium front, back and sides with top and bottom aluminium panels. Approximate weight 3kg (6.6lbs).

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,464 of 15,951

A17: The A16 will be available in a choice of two form factors. Form 1: Headphone Stand enclosure. Height 286mm (11.25”): Width 160mm (6.3”): Depth 176mm (6.9”). Construction will be extruded aluminium. Approximate weight 2kg (4.4lbs). Form 2: 2U 19”rack-mountable enclosure: Height 3.5” (89mm): Width 19” (483mm): Depth 6.9” (176mm). Construction will be extruded aluminium front, back and sides with top and bottom aluminium panels. Approximate weight 3kg (6.6lbs).

Where did you find this? Is there a q&a somewhere? Edit: I found it.

I’m also trying to understand if this has wireless built in for wifi? My PC in my office uses the ethernet so can’t have both using it so how would one one update the a16 or use the internet based software?

So this can only be used via ethernet cable for internet firmware updates etc? That kinda sux there’s no wireless built in. Not sure how I’m supposed to upgrade firmware etc if my pc uses the only ethernet port I have. So how would you do this?

Do you need to use headphones with this or could you feed an amp that then ouputs to speakers to give you the atmos experience in your living room without using any headphones?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,465 of 15,951

I'm really good at having no idea what a device will look like based on known dimensions. not very objectivist of me, but I'm always amazed to discover how bad I suck at this when opening a package. I need to see a hand in the picture or a CD box or a banana for scale. although bananas can be tricky.^_^

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #1,466 of 15,951
Dimensions Original.jpg

Above image is from the kickstarter webpage (https://www.kickstarter.com/project...real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/description)
On the left is the old version of the headstand model so that is no longer applicable.
I don't think they changed the 2U model.
On the right you see the 483 mm is including rackmounts (that are optional), without rackmounts it is 436 mm (similar to many normal home audio components).
For a moment I thought the 176 mm from the FAQ would be including the volume knobs, but they look a lot bigger than 6 mm deep so that doesn't explain the 176 mm versus 170 mm difference(?).
The depth of both models will be the same I think because the same boards are used with knobs and connectors on the front and the back that should fit of course.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #1,467 of 15,951
So this can only be used via ethernet cable for internet firmware updates etc? That kinda sux there’s no wireless built in. Not sure how I’m supposed to upgrade firmware etc if my pc uses the only ethernet port I have. So how would you do this?
Normally I would say buy a router or a switch (depends on what kind of ethernet port you are talking about), but for an update only you could temporarily change the cable of course.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #1,468 of 15,951
Where did you find this? Is there a q&a somewhere? Edit: I found it.

I’m also trying to understand if this has wireless built in for wifi? My PC in my office uses the ethernet so can’t have both using it so how would one one update the a16 or use the internet based software?

Do you need to use headphones with this or could you feed an amp that then ouputs to speakers to give you the atmos experience in your living room without using any headphones?
I'll go on a limb and say µSD card for firmware updates.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #1,469 of 15,951
Normally I would say buy a router or a switch (depends on what kind of ethernet port you are talking about), but for an update only you could temporarily change the cable of course.

Ok so it downloads direct to the realiser a16 thats good to know, i could just switch the cable in an out then so thats fine.

On to the real question, I know the a16 can be hooked up to an amp in this case it will be running through my mcintosh mha100 which can also drive speakers, will the a16 decode dolby atmos etc to the speakers through the amp?

Or any amp driving speakers for that matter?

If the answer is yes I'm pre ordering tonight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back