Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #14,086 of 16,011
Is anyone using or tried the Sennheiser 6xx with the A16?

I'm looking to get a pair for my wife and I. I thought I'd surprise her with Susvara... But she said "NO... they look ridiculous!" Even more so than my 1266 TCs. Apparently she is cares more about esthetics than sound. 😩

So I thought I get something a little more traditional looking and neutral sounding... With a 30 day return policy.

I'm really not a fan of the Sennheiser house sound... But I can always tweek it with EQ.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Pros and Cons?

PS... I'm amazed she is even willing to use the A16 with me. She HATES electronics.
John, why are you looking for a Sennheiser if you dislike the house sound? After all, there are a lot of other headphones out there at the price points that you're entertaining. Anyway, you do know that you're setting yourself up to become User B! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #14,087 of 16,011
John, why are you looking for a Sennheiser if you dislike the house sound? After all, there are a lot of other headphones out there at the price points that you're entertaining. Anyway, you do know that you're setting yourself up to become User B! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I will always be user A... Lol

I'm considering them because they are relatively inexpensive.. Also, because it won't be the end of the world if they get chewed on by the dog or their cords get sucked up in the vacuum cleaner... And/or worse.

Might be nice to try something different.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #14,088 of 16,011
I have a 6xx attached to my A16 on user B (my A is a Stax).
I do have a self-made HP amp between them driving the 6xx from the rca terminals on the back of the A16. Sounds lovely.
I can vaguely remember trying the 6xx directly from the A16. I think I had to adjust the gain on the A16 for that.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #14,089 of 16,011
I used a pair of Sennheiser HD 660 S headphones in conjunction with my Realiser A16 unit for a while. For me, those headphones weren’t quite comfortable to wear for an extended period of time (too much clamping force), although the virtualised loudspeakers sounded good enough.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #14,090 of 16,011
I use the hd650(same thing) all the time. I didn't try anything pricey but I'd say the biggest issue sound wise is how you can't get deep low freqs without raising distortions to non trivial levels. I happen to find that pleasing but objectively speaking, it's bad. I end up setting the subs to my taste anyway with the A16 so I don't care, but I do feel like the sound sources are a little closer to me than where the actual speakers are. the A16 and humans being what they are, I can't claim to know that the Senn is to blame, but based on all my little experiments, it probably is.
To me it's already so cool that I never cared to put more money into a hd800 or similar, but for all the perfectionists out there, a 6xx is probably not good enough.

About comfort, I have a fairly big head and couldn't stand the default clamping force, so like many others I forced on the metal plates in the headband, something like what's shown here:

It's not helping the subs, but comfort comes first second, after esthetic :wink:.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #14,091 of 16,011

I'm looking to get a pair for my wife and I. I thought I'd surprise her with Susvara... But she said "NO... they look ridiculous!" Even more so than my 1266 TCs. Apparently she is cares more about esthetics than sound. 😩

So I thought I get something a little more traditional looking and neutral sounding... With a 30 day return policy.

I'm really not a fan of the Sennheiser house sound... But I can always tweek it with EQ.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Pros and Cons?

PS... I'm amazed she is even willing to use the A16 with me. She HATES electronics.
I would be tempted to get 2 entirely different headphones. What are you going to do with two of the same if she decides she doesn't like using the A16? One of them may end up being slightly worse but so be it. More options for you to play with.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #14,092 of 16,011
I would be tempted to get 2 entirely different headphones. What are you going to do with two of the same if she decides she doesn't like using the A16? One of them may end up being slightly worse but so be it. More options for you to play with.

In addition to my wife using the Realiser... I have two kids who enjoy the A16... Especially with 3D films.

Drop has a no hassle 30 day return policy.

But I'm open to other inexpensive options.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #14,095 of 16,011
I have a pair that I never use. You can have them for free. If you want them, text me next week and I'll drop them in the mail to you.
That's a good headfier. Man knows how to pay it forward.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #14,096 of 16,011
Saw this online... Looks legit. And a great opportunity for someone looking to buy.

Screenshot_20220926-055447_Chrome.jpg

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-a...ser-a16-in-der-2u-version/2222632570-172-3267

I have no affiliation with the sale or seller.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #14,097 of 16,011
That's a good headfier. Man knows how to pay it forward.

Thanks, that is nice of you to say. There are lots of A-16 users here who are super generous with their time, so don't give me too much credit please. :blush: (I would have just texted Litlgi74 privately, but I was on business in Europe and only using my work phone.)

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #14,099 of 16,011
Hi, does anyone on the forum have the connection drawing / recipe to connect the A8 mics to the A16?

Would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

- madison
Hi madison

Mike Smyth sent me a diagram some time ago for making a Y-cable that connects between the Y-junction of the A8 and the two mic inputs on the A16. So it's a 4-pole male plug to two 4-pole male plugs. Doing this means you don't have to cut the cables of the A8 microphones and can still use them in an A8.

The A8 and A16 mics are quite different in construction, and have different responses. The main differences are that the A8 mics have a slightly better bass extension, and the signal level of the A8 mic is about 6dB higher.

Attached you will find a re-drawing for the Y-cable I made incl. plug-description:
8EC60FA7-5BC6-4D31-A65F-18F5CAB57A29.jpeg

Rene

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #14,100 of 16,011
I'm trying to make a multi-speaker (9.1.6) PRIR following the video on Youtube channel () and it's not working. Only the most recent speaker measurement is retained. e.g. If I measure Left and Right alone it'll take and I can integrate those channels into a Room. If I measure Left/Right then try to measure Center/Sub...only Center/Sub have audio when playing back Test Audio. I'm not leaving the PRIR menu when doing the Disable speaker/record shuffle, so I'm not sure why only the most recent measurements stay. I'm on firmware 2.12. Any community guidance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back