Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 27, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #14,056 of 16,011
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #14,057 of 16,011
Using the head tracker for all measurement types... Including the asynchronous method... eliminates the need for large manLOUD corrections (for balance) once the PRIR is created.

There is no difference when using the headtracker for asynchronous vs the synchronous method.

Yep... I typically only use three look angles. Actually, if you don't plan on using head tracking. Only one look angle is necessary... But I don't recommend that. You may change your mind in the future.

You are absolutely correct... But pressing pause will give you a little extra time to make sure you are situated. I also like to visually check everything on the a16 screen before moving on to the next measurement. It's not necessary... But it doesn't hurt to peripherally verify your look angle corresponds with the LEDs on the set top.

Sometimes finding ±30 is trickier than it seems... And once you are there it's helps to find something to stare at for the next 5 minutes or so.
Do I understand the way you use the headtracker correctly? You read the numbers from the screen?
I am just asking because, as I remember it from the synchronous measurement the A16 waits until your head is in the perfect position and indicates this with tones. And yes, it was sometimes really difficult to get the A16 to start the measurements.

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #14,058 of 16,011
As there’s a short English description at
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser
I don’t think that Gilles Gerin has restricted the access only to people that bought the A16 from him.

Think it's restricted to people who purhased Club Realizer memberships.
Yes, exactly. I bought this membership for 100 EUR.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #14,059 of 16,011
Think it's restricted to people who purhased Club Realizer memberships.
Of course, it’s restricted to people who have purchased Club Realizer memberships. @Dixter wrote that he tried to register at av-in.com and Gilles Gerin told him that it was for his customers only. I think that the purpose of his registration at that site was to pay for subscribing to the Club Realizer.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #14,060 of 16,011
Do I understand the way you use the headtracker correctly? You read the numbers from the screen?
I am just asking because, as I remember it from the synchronous measurement the A16 waits until your head is in the perfect position and indicates this with tones. And yes, it was sometimes really difficult to get the A16 to start the measurements.
Basically, I confronted pretty much the issue, i.e., to get the Realiser A16 to start the measurements. HT assist was enabled.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #14,061 of 16,011
I only use the screen to verify what the tones and LEDs of the set top are communicating.

If you are using the HT Assist and Pause Look features, the Realiser will wait for your input to start the measurement. Once you are in the 0 / ±30 position... you press the Enter on the remote to start the measurement.

Without HT Assist / Pause look enabled... The A16 will begin the measurement process the moment the A16 receives a signal (from headtracker/set top) that you are at the correct angle. This can be very challenging to use. You more than likely won't be ready for the measurement to start when the Realiser begins the process.. and will have to start over.

As with normal daily use... there are times when the A16 does not receive the signal from the remote. This is mainly because of head tracker interference... To many infrared signals bouncing around the room.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #14,063 of 16,011
I'm not sure if you don't mess up the pll calibration for the later sweeps by pausing the async playback.
Don't think so... From the manual p.99

The operation of the HT assist is basically the same as that described in the ALL method except that it is for guidance only – it does not stop or start the look track playback. To give the subject sufficient time to align themselves, each look track must be paused following the double 2.2kHz burst (Pause) but before the DTMF deconvolution trigger (Start). Once head alignment has been achieved, the look track is set back in motion. In this way, the subject has the opportunity to reduce the look angle error before the deconvolution processing begins.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #14,064 of 16,011
Just hoping somebody can explain the technology at work here, because I didn't expect to see it.

I finally received the "Recincarnation" (by Hazar) BluRay disc from Pure Audio. Very interesting to be able to listen in all of its supported immersive formats as well as 2.0 stereo PCM CD-audio. I even transferred its provided FLAC and binaural format files to my PC very easily using mShuttle (essentially PC "client" access via LAN to the network-connected "server" player) which uilizes the BD-Live functionality available on my Oppo 203, something I'd NEVER had enabled before, in lieu of using Windows Explorer etc. to get to the data files on the disc. All of this while the disc was in the 203.

But my question concerns the 2.0 PCM CD-audio part. Not realizing that it was a BluRay disc I brought it to my car, to play it while driving through my car's CD/DVD player. The car's player does NOT support BluRay discs. And yet, it actually did LOAD successfully... as if it were a CD disc media authored as with CD file system. Of course the contents were too new to be found in the local Gracenote CD database that is inside the car's entertainment system (which would only provide information on CDs 2013 and older). But the imbedded locally readable CD-Info data (authored onto the disc itself) provided the same "track name" and "disc artist" information that most mechanical and software players are capable of picking up and displaying instead.

In other words, this disc (which shows as "BD" and not "CD" on the Oppo 203) was actually read successfully and handled on my car's CD/DVD player perfectly... as if it were a normal retail 2.0 PCM stereo audio CD. I find this mystifying and fascinating (and satisfying, of course). Of course the sound delivered was automatically the 2.0 PCM stereo audio just like with any other audio CD.

Can someone explain (or point me to a document) that describes how a disc can be BOTH (a) BD, and (b) CD, and usable on both types of players? Is there some unique (and previously unknown to me) file system that appears to my 2013-era car CD player as a perfectly functional CD, while appearing to my Oppo 203 as BD where it satisfies all of the performance needs and capabilities only available with BluRay discs?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #14,065 of 16,011
@dsperber, usually, music productions recorded, mixed and authored by msm studios together with immersive audio network are sold in packages consisting of one Blu-ray disc and one CD disc. Maybe you were in a hurry and actually brought your CD copy of Hazar Reincarnated to your car and played it. Check once again.

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #14,066 of 16,011
@dsperber, usually, music productions recorded, mixed and authored by msm studios together with immersive audio network are sold in packages consisting of one Blu-ray disc and one CD disc. Maybe you were in a hurry and actually brought your CD copy of Hazar Reincarnated to your car and played it. Check once again.
This sounds plausible. I have to say that I too own a bunch of releases from IAN and the cardboard sleeves are terrible. Not only is it difficult to remove the disk from the extremely tight sleeve but the other side of the folding case might actually be open and somehow loose enough to let the other disk (which you may not even have realized existed) and/or booklet fall out. I actually dropped and badly scratched my Jazzmachine 24 disk like this and had to order another one. Also hard to tell whether you're trying to grab the CD or the Blu-ray. I am currently working towards ripping the disks for easier and safer access. You can jailbreak Oppo players to play ISOs just like disks. The file explorer isn't visually impressive but it works and you keep the menus and everything else functional. This is a bit of a rabbit hole though and requires a decent amount of storage as well.

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #14,067 of 16,011
How embarrassing!!! You are absolutely correct! There is no "magic" here. The trick is simply that THERE ARE TWO DISCS!!!

There were TWO sleeves containing discs. And the "outer sleeve" of the closed-up tri-sectioned package (which of course is the one I unconsciously grabbed at yesterday while in the car with the package still closed, as it was already kind of falling out of the sleeve) is, of course, the CD! This is the "left" sleeve when the tri-sectioned package is opened up fully.

And sure enough, just as you predicted, the "right" sleeve is also a disc holder and of course contains the BluRay. I must have not even noticed the second disc in the left sleeve when I initially received the item in the mail and went over to the Oppo to play it. I obviously unfolded it, removed and looked inside the inserted booklet held by a flap in the center section of the package, and just unconsciously removed the disc in the right sleeve... which just happened to be the BluRay.

Case closed. Mystery solved. Excellent intuition @GeorgeA. I'm an idiot.

But at least I can smile that there is truly no "magic BD disc burning technology" I knew nothing about, which allowed a BD disc to spoof a CD player into believing it was a CD disc!

How embarrassing. Oh well. Mea culpa. Nothing to see here. You can now all return back to your regular lives.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #14,068 of 16,011
Don't think so... From the manual p.99

The operation of the HT assist is basically the same as that described in the ALL method except that it is for guidance only – it does not stop or start the look track playback. To give the subject sufficient time to align themselves, each look track must be paused following the double 2.2kHz burst (Pause) but before the DTMF deconvolution trigger (Start). Once head alignment has been achieved, the look track is set back in motion. In this way, the subject has the opportunity to reduce the look angle error before the deconvolution processing begins.
Looks like you're correct. So how long should a builtin pause be? Or would anyone around here be able to produce a blu ray image that would allow menu driven playback, similar to the screenshots shown in the manual?

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #14,069 of 16,011
Lots going on in this track. Yeeha!

Screenshot_20220829-180323_TIDAL.jpg

https://songwhip.com/faith-no-more/midlife-crisis-atmos-mix

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #14,070 of 16,011
Is anyone using the A16 in combination with a Mac running current MacOS? The v2 manual indicates the "USB interface only functions with Mac OS 10.12 [2016] or older".

Originally I wanted to go M1MacMini>USB>A16 for two scenarios: 1. Listen to multichannel music using JRiver. 2. Watch Dolby/Atmos movies using VLC.

I understand that's not possible and I need to use different interfaces.

USB for up to 16ch LPCM. However this is not possible with current MacOS?

HDMI for DD, DD+, Atmos.

So what device(s) do I need to be putting between the Mac and A16? For example, a USB DAC that can accept LPCM/DD/DD+/Atmos via USB and has HDMI out, if such a thing exists, and assuming DD/DD+/Atmos can even be transported via USB (or does it have to be decoded on the Mac first)... oh god!

So many formats, interfaces, devices, wires, I'm so lost! :cry:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back