Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 26, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #14,041 of 15,989
@Monkey King I highly recommend you purchase the asynchronous files from Gilles Gerin at https://www.smyth-realiser.fr/ You will be able to create a PRIR of your system without the need of any wired connection to the Realiser. The asynchronous files are in mp4 video format and can be played from most Blu-ray players and or media players. The best part is... The videos make the PRIR process fully automated.

You won't regret it.

The stereo files are not available on the Google drive... And what is available is mostly incomplete.

On the other hand... The files from Gilles are wonderful and work perfectly.

I am part of Gilles Gerin‘s club. Short question, since I have only used personally the synchronous sweeps and in the studio setting of MSM the asynchronous 4s sweeps with three look angles: Which sweep length do Gilles Gerin‘s sweep have? How many look angle can you define?

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #14,042 of 15,989
Which sweep length do Gilles Gerin‘s sweep have?
12s non overlapping.
How many look angle can you define?
Just 3 (Horizontal)

Screenshot_20220826-191437_MX Player.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #14,044 of 15,989
I tried to register for that site but Gilles told me it was for people that bought the A16 from him... has he changed it now ??
Hmm... I became a member Feb 2022.

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #14,046 of 15,989
The only negative I've found with the files is that there is not a pause between look angles. So if you're going to use them...it's best you note the time in the video where it switches from center, to left, to right. This way you can use your remote to pause the video while you turn your head to the appropriate angle.

Other than that.. they files work great.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #14,047 of 15,989
Aug 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #14,048 of 15,989
As there’s a short English description at
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/acces-1-an-au-club-realiser
I don’t think that Gilles Gerin has restricted the access only to people that bought the A16 from him.
not sure if he is now or not... but he did several years ago when I talked with him... I'm going to give it another try and will report back the results... I have been on his newsletter for years too.. wonder what he has updated in his manual..

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #14,050 of 15,989
The only negative I've found with the files is that there is not a pause between look angles. So if you're going to use them...it's best you note the time in the video where it switches from center, to left, to right. This way you can use your remote to pause the video while you turn your head to the appropriate angle.

Thanks. I downloaded them once more. BTW, how do you use them together with the optical tracker?
Do you also do „only“ three look angles?

not sure if he is now or not... but he did several years ago when I talked with him... I'm going to give it another try and will report back the results... I have been on his newsletter for years too.. wonder what he has updated in his manual..
I just checked the French manual and there is no update regarding Auro so far.

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #14,052 of 15,989

For all practical purposes, there's a pause. You don't need to face in the direction announce until the DTMF beeping has finished and the actual sweep is starting, i.e. from the time the new look direction appears on the screen you have slightly above 10s. I was assuming everyone was placing some visual marker at +-30° so they could basically instantly turn there. How much time do you need in practice?

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #14,053 of 15,989
Thanks. I downloaded them once more. BTW, how do you use them together with the optical tracker?
Do you also do „only“ three look angles?
Using the head tracker for all measurement types... Including the asynchronous method... eliminates the need for large manLOUD corrections (for balance) once the PRIR is created.

There is no difference when using the headtracker for asynchronous vs the synchronous method.

Yep... I typically only use three look angles. Actually, if you don't plan on using head tracking. Only one look angle is necessary... But I don't recommend that. You may change your mind in the future.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #14,054 of 15,989
For all practical purposes, there's a pause. You don't need to face in the direction announce until the DTMF beeping has finished and the actual sweep is starting, i.e. from the time the new look direction appears on the screen you have slightly above 10s. I was assuming everyone was placing some visual marker at +-30° so they could basically instantly turn there. How much time do you need in practice?
You are absolutely correct... But pressing pause will give you a little extra time to make sure you are situated. I also like to visually check everything on the a16 screen before moving on to the next measurement. It's not necessary... But it doesn't hurt to peripherally verify your look angle corresponds with the LEDs on the set top.

Sometimes finding ±30 is trickier than it seems... And once you are there it's helps to find something to stare at for the next 5 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #14,055 of 15,989
You are absolutely correct... But pressing pause will give you a little extra time to make sure you are situated. I also like to visually check everything on the a16 screen before moving on to the next measurement. It's not necessary... But it doesn't hurt to peripherally verify your look angle corresponds with the LEDs on the set top.

Sometimes finding ±30 is trickier than it seems... And once you are there it's helps to find something to stare at for the next 5 minutes or so.
I can verify that from my personal experience inside the 3D SoundShop studio(or to quote from “Hamilton”: “the room where it happened”).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back